+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: The Sword of Islam - Dev Diary 2

Since you said the mechanics are in the game even if I didn't buy it, does that mean if I force-switch myself to a Muslim ruler, I would be able to use the mechanics without paying?

Quote Originally Posted by bmullins0118 View Post
    Since you said the mechanics are in the game even if I didn't buy it, does that mean if I force-switch myself to a Muslim ruler, I would be able to use the mechanics without paying?
    It's most probable they'll have to disable both that cheat and the ability to modify religions.txt to let you play muslims.

A quibble I have with this new claim system is that many claims in the middle ages that actually led to war were based on very distant claims.

Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Decadence sounds nice, in a way I kind of wish there was something along the same lines for Christian Dynasties.

And Anj I too am wondering how this Strong v Weak claim system will work. Sounds like it may destroy the ability to expand via marriages based upon claims especially if weak claims can only be pressed versus female rulers. But in a way I suppose its probably a good change, wonder what category fabricated claims will fall under now??? Sorry if someone asked that already lol 13 pages of comments is a lot to dig through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jia Xu View Post
    Because CK2's diplomacy system would make the addition of India silly. I could be playing the Duke of Iceland and I could send requests to the Raja of Delhi for a marriage and stuff. If they want to push the map past Persia, I think they'd have to introduce something like EU3's terra incognita to hide some countries from each other.

You could set it up so that a further away a kingdom is away from the other one they are less likely to accept marriage proposal...or terra incognita like EUIII is a good idea too.

The Kingdoms of the Ghaznavids and later the Ghurids (Birjand and Herat in the 1066 scenario) extended into India (the Ghaznavids at this time controlled Punjab) and the Ghurids conquered Delhi after the second battle of Tarain in 1092 laying the foundations for the Delhi Sultanate. The remnants of the Ghurids tried retreating into India when the Mongols showed up and for the next 100 years the Mongol border was somewhere around Lahore...no to mention Timur's invasion of Delhi in 1398. So India has a lot of interaction with the eastern part of the map. With Europe not as much...but then again the Dukes of Iceland were probably not as well informed about Eastern Persia either

Quote Originally Posted by tnick0225 View Post
    Decadence sounds nice, in a way I kind of wish there was something along the same lines for Christian Dynasties.

And Anj I too am wondering how this Strong v Weak claim system will work. Sounds like it may destroy the ability to expand via marriages based upon claims especially if weak claims can only be pressed versus female rulers.
    The new claim system will make things more challenging, yes. But weak claims can also be pressed against regencies, during succession crises, and if the claimant in question is a pretender to the title. Probably, the easiest scenario to manufacture would be a succession crisis. As for marriages, you'll just have to be more selective about whom you go after, so you can get your foot in the door, so to speak. And don't forget to re-marry the claimant matrilineally.
    Last edited by asix79; 14-06-2012 at 06:59.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by rashtrakut View Post
    You could set it up so that a further away a kingdom is away from the other one they are less likely to accept marriage proposal...or terra incognita like EUIII is a good idea too.

The Kingdoms of the Ghaznavids and later the Ghurids (Birjand and Herat in the 1066 scenario) extended into India (the Ghaznavids at this time controlled Punjab) and the Ghurids conquered Delhi after the second battle of Tarain in 1092 laying the foundations for the Delhi Sultanate. The remnants of the Ghurids tried retreating into India when the Mongols showed up and for the next 100 years the Mongol border was somewhere around Lahore...no to mention Timur's invasion of Delhi in 1398. So India has a lot of interaction with the eastern part of the map. With Europe not as much...but then again the Dukes of Iceland were probably not as well informed about Eastern Persia either
    Modifiers might be an easy way to represent off-map strength. Boosted levies in border provinces to represent unrepresented provinces.
    Nationality: New Zealander
    Religion: Roman Catholic
    Ideology: Distributist
    Issues: Moralism/Full Citizenship
    How did some slip of a girlyboy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?

Don't Press the O
    It's always been Wankershim

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    I believe that will do for now. Next week I'll talk about the Muslims CBs, vassal treatment, temple holdings and laws, as well as some more patch features. Until then!
    Im curious!

Interesting. But giving muslim nations 'special' casus belli to facilitate distribution of land is a bad idea. They are already too OP, that'll just make the reconquista and the crusades more of a pain than they already are.

It does not look like they will as over power as they use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by PDR1987 View Post
    Interesting. But giving muslim nations 'special' casus belli to facilitate distribution of land is a bad idea. They are already too OP, that'll just make the reconquista and the crusades more of a pain than they already are.
    OP? Gash, nice joke.
    Then why they always loosing territory in Spain (first gaining, but always at end loosing to France/HRE and sometimes England/someone else).
    Why they loosing Mauretania due to OP Hre and Crusades?
    Why they loosing Mesopotania due to Byzantine?
    Egypt/Jerusalem due to crusades?
    Persia due to Mongols?
    Yeah, musilm are op.

However, the best way to balance game, is nerf Byz, it's never fallen. :|

Arabs don't have any special buildings right now, correct? Hopefully, Sword of Islam will change that.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Jia Xu View Post
    Arabs don't have any special buildings right now, correct? Hopefully, Sword of Islam will change that.
    I believe that was anwered a couple pages back and that the answer was yes. Its also probably necessary considering just how many cultures this will open up to the players and keeping it restricted at that point is crazy. That and the Turkish already have their own culture building so there is already one.
    "Resistance is futile. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be assimilated into the collective." - Genghis Khan

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Rozmarzony View Post
    OP? Gash, nice joke.
    Then why they always loosing territory in Spain (first gaining, but always at end loosing to France/HRE and sometimes England/someone else).
    Persia due to Mongols?
    Yeah, musilm are op.

Well, your point about Spain and Persia would actually be historical... But yes, the rest is well taken. As for the Byzantines, they don't need to be nerfed so much as they need to have their internal problems better represented. More infighting would make them more susceptible to outside invasion.

I really like the change to succession laws! And sword of Islam looks great!
    I was wondering though with the change in succession laws... Lets say a female ruler takes over the throne of England and a crisis begins with a week claimant to the throne... the Duke of York. He quickly takes over and is the new king. I am the King of Scotland who has a claim on the throne through my mothers mother or something. Will I now be able to attack England seeming that the new king is not as legitimate as a normal king or would I have to go to war during the actual crisis? (Sorry if this has been asked before I don't have time, sadly, to go through 13 pages)

Quote Originally Posted by Rozmarzony View Post
    OP? Gash, nice joke.
    Persia due to Mongols?
    Yeah, musilm are op.

mongols wiped the floor with them historically. anyway, nerf the byzantines, nerf iberia so the INITIAL kingdoms survive and buff africa to make them MUCH less likely to fall to france ect.(maybe makethem map extend further down so you ahve a 3 duchy thick inland?)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13