+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wounded mode?

Crusader Kings II

Wounded mode?

The way things are it looks as if when revived you are back at full health and fighting capacity, that seems a bit unbalanced and unrealistic to me. I believe it would be a lot cooler that once you'd be revived you'd only have aboutt 30% of your health and only be able to use your dagger as a weapon because you're too wounded to fight. Also, you would be hunched over and holding your chest with your left arm just so others know you are wounded.(A bit like L4D, where when you are revived you have to ALSO use a medkit to regain HP)

that way friendly players will be like:
    "Hey that guy got recently revived, I should heal him."
    And enemies would be like:
    "Hey that guy got recently revived, I should finish him off for once and for good."

And once you're bandaged by a teammate you should only have about 50-60% of your HP(The rest you should have to regenerate in a nice quiet place), or else large group fights could go on forever and ever.
    Image this scenario:
    2v2, one guy from both sides go down, instead of fighting the remaining two decide to quickly help their wounded allies to their feet. Of course they won't have time to bandage their wounded comrades because there's a battle going on, the two guys who're healthy fight each other while the half-dead knights attack each other with shanks.

Also I believe when someone is knocked into the ground / killed they should be ragdolled at first, because it would be just silly to be fighting an enemy on castle walls and instead of having his ragdoll body falling down the castle he'd just float in the sky above the ledge. (GTA and Max Payne 3 are good examples of this, when you are heavily damaged or you are hit by an explosion you'll fly around like a ragdoll but eventually morph into the lying down pose)
    Last edited by rokema; 08-06-2012 at 08:40.

Crusader Kings II

Another point I'd like to discuss is the jelly on the screen that appears when you're hit, I believe that only works in first person shooter games where regenerating your health is pretty fast. I'd rather have an option for a good old fashion health bar because the jelly:

Distracts you
    Is immersion-breaking
    unrealistic

If it were a first-person, medieval combat simulator I'd understand, but this is a third person game!
    (If anything I name here is wrong or already fixed / solved do tell me!)
    Last edited by rokema; 08-06-2012 at 08:34.

Magicka

I got no problem with having a healthbar, considering it seems you can take quite a few hits and regen very slowly but to say a bar is

less distracting
    less immersion-breaking
    more realistic

is a bit of a silly argument IMHO^^
    Knowledge is Power - all the information to War of the Roses so far collected at one place.

Highland skin DLC pack

- What can change the signature of a man?

ImpireThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

waiting for the release of the game, then all the mods etc.
    VRNG Vaeringjar Clan Leader
    WotR RU steam group administrator
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WotRrus

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteKing Arthur IIMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses

I hope there will be blood on the armor if you get hitted (then an enemy can see if you are wounded or not)
    regards NIN3

"Don´t read my boring signature, go out and meet your freinds ^^."

"Noch sitzt ihr da oben, ihr feigen Gestalten – vom Feinde bezahlt, dem Volke zum Spott!

Doch einst wird wieder Gerechtigkeit walten – dann richtet das Volk, dann gnade euch Gott!" Theodor Körner [sry but its german]

Maybe also blood on the weapon when you hit someone.
    And blood is only on your armor where you got hit?

Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    I got no problem with having a healthbar, considering it seems you can take quite a few hits and regen very slowly but to say a bar is

less distracting
    less immersion-breaking
    more realistic

is a bit of a silly argument IMHO^^
    In comparison to your screen getting covered in red jelly it is.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    MagickaSengokuMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

I agree with the original post, Being revived to full hp is very unrealistic. I can understand if when they are revived they are at like lets say 10% that seems more like a reasonable option and more realistic one. I dont agree with health bars its unrealistic imo.

Magicka

Quote Originally Posted by Z3RO View Post
    I agree with the original post, Being revived to full hp is very unrealistic. I can understand if when they are revived they are at like lets say 10% that seems more like a reasonable option and more realistic one. I dont agree with health bars its unrealistic imo.
    You dont heal / revive to full HP, unless you got the Sterilised Bandages supportive perk.

--Sterilised Bandages
    Revives & bandages give full health.
    Only the best care for your allies! Your character's bandages or revives bring allies to full health.
    Knowledge is Power - all the information to War of the Roses so far collected at one place.

Highland skin DLC pack

- What can change the signature of a man?

Second Lieutenant
    Crusader Kings IIMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    You dont heal / revive to full HP, unless you got the Sterilised Bandages supportive perk.

--Sterilised Bandages
    Revives & bandages give full health.
    Only the best care for your allies! Your character's bandages or revives bring allies to full health.
    Good to know, thanks Orkfaeller

MagickaMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Well luckily, I think that they are making revival a server side option so it can be removed for competitive players. I personally do not care for revival so I will be spending my time on those servers exclusively.

the game is meant to be somewhat historically accurate and somewhat realistic, but paradox said they value fun overall and that it won't be 100% realistic or accurate. health bars aren't anymore realistic but they would be great. When watching the videos online i did notice there wasn't a problem with the red jelly taking up the whole screen; i wouldn't say it's that bad. Not being able to see your health also makes you more careful.

I don't think there should be revival at all. Medics uses should be limited to stopping the bleeding from wounds and maybe just have that as a perk for infantry. Medics during the medieval time didn't really do much in combat, they helped more with the after battle stuff like saving wounded soldiers. However, I don't think it would be that unrealistic if a solider was bleeding for a fellow soldier to take some cloth and use it as a bandage to stop the bleeding. A full heal would be a little silly though.

I also think that health bars would be better then the jelly blood effects, as they sound annoying. Maybe have no health bar or jelly spots. That way the player has to count the hits and get a feel for how low his health really is.

Well, the revival doesn't seems too real, but they said in their videos that it is gonna be this way, and if they do they will have reasons. I always loved the teamplay in games, and a revival option give you a lot of possibilities if you play with other players; maybe a little change from realism to gameplay experience, after all this is going to be a game, even if you look for realism, and they want their players have the funniest experience.

At first i didn't agree some of their features, but after read a lot of things and see their videos, i have to say that i trust in them with almost all the things they are trying to do. I hope they can do all of this well balanced, we will see how it works when we have been playing some hours.

About the blood and distractions, you are fighter, even if you playing third person, you should have some weakness from all the injuries suffered in the battle, so i think that some less visibility its okay if a weapon have crushed your body.

Its meant to be a fast, map control/team based game mode. So regenerating full health is needed so that you can take on the next 'wave' of spawning after you kill off your opponents.
    Its a way to sort of keep balancing the level of play as a game goes on and it actually has some decent results.

I can see the appeal of a single-death, non-health regeneration game mode, and I share in it.
    But for TDM, the system is fine as is.
    Last edited by ProjectAngel; 12-06-2012 at 18:30.
    Check out my Archery suggestion - http://alturl.com/o52iz
    And my gaming channel - http://alturl.com/tyfoq

Crusader Kings IIKing Arthur IIMount & Blade: Warband

Personally I see the revival as a copy of last stand although I'm glad you cant attack while downed.

As for the jelly screen I would find that really annoying and if your in the mists of battle and you have red covering the side of your screen it might block your FOV but I haven't played it so I don't know for sure, a health bar would be fine but one problem with a health bar is that it makes it easy for players to decide on things like running from battle to go regenerate health were as jelly would reduce that, having neither would be silly as you would be playing a guessing game which is fine for some but for me personally I would be very frustrated with this as I would have no clue what amount of damage I can take, yes having neither would be realistic however in real life you would be able to tell how much more you can take as you would feel weak, but this is a game after all. But personally I think id prefer jelly screen as-long as it doesn't block my FOV I'm fine with it.

As for the revive perk that sounds better then just letting everyone do it, I don't know what perks there are for the supportive set but im guessing there's probably quite a few and some might be really helpful to your own character so its a choice of save and help team-mates or improve my self in order to take more damage to let team mates escape enemies that are stronger then them. but it sounds fairly balanced from whats been said so far.

Recruit

Personally I think the blood works well on screen during a fight, when you are wounded you cannot fight as well due to the blocked vision. However an alternative could be used such as a fade to black or visual blur because either a wounded or low health opponent should be hindered, if it's just a health bar then you can play without any consequences due to being hurt. If they did have a health bar then the player should deal less damage at least.

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesWar of the Vikings

Blog Entries
    I would hate a health bar. Its 80s and it reminds you the game is simplistic in the extreme.
    I would prefer what they have in RO2 which shows you where you have been hit on the body diagram.
    "The King is dead, long live the King"
    "A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!"

+ Reply to Thread