• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, now i get it. stupidly enough i hadnt made the link between the Jimena brothers, and the characters in your AAR :p

Oooh, and yes a map would be nice. Are you going to aim to be the Imperator totus Hispanae or just be content with uniting the north?

Then a map will be featured in next episode. As for the Imperator-title, aye, in some point of the story it will be claimed, though it should be remembered that being Imperator totus Hispanae is not the same as controlling the entirety of the peninsula.

Hi Apelstav,

Just checking in to let you know that you've been nominated as the next Character Writer of the Week over in the general AAR discussion forum. Congratulations!

Hi Apelstav,

Just checking in to let you know that you've been nominated as the next Character Writer of the Week over in the general AAR discussion forum. Congratulations!

Oh gosh jolly, this was quite unexpected! Big thanks for the nomination, and may the prose of the High Lady of the Hvide echo through the halls of AARland for days unnumbered!

started reading following Saithis' recommendation.

This is great stuff, compelling narrative, impressive characters and no shortage of devious plotting

Thanks Loki!

congrats on the nomination! What's the ETA on the next update?

Thanks Tapscott! Got half of it written and all pictures (including the promised map) done, so I would expect to upload it later this evening or at the least some time tomorrow.

Truly great stuff, you have to feel for poor Sancha, watching her sons and daughters tear eachother apart. And how convenient that as two brothers head for war a third is waylaid.

Chapter Four - ...but their slopes are sharp as daggers

Chapter Four
...but their slopes are sharp as daggers
23 October, 1066
The Galician Marches, León

The hound was hunting wolves. He had found their trace yesterday, but the wolves were tricky little things and had splintered their pack once they learned that he had found their sent. Now half of the pack was headed north, and the other half south and the wolves most likely hoped that he would head after one splinter – only to be taken in the rear by the other half. The hound could of course continue onwards and try to sever the head of the pack once they united to assault him, but such an endeavour was risky at best. The wolves would never attack unless they thought they could take him unawares, and the hound had learned a long time ago that to make oneself seem exposed, one had to expose himself. That was a risk he could not take lightly, his king had made that much clear.

“My Lord!” Flaín's thoughts were interrupted by the voice of Lope, his new second-in-command since Ramiro had gone with Alfonso to Zamora. Lope was a young noble of some insignificant line holding but a shard of land in the Asturian hinterlands, and as such he had realized he stood more to gain by leaving his fathers hall to serve the king. Many younger sons appeared such at the Towers, eager to please and even more eager for blood and glory. In Spain there was few paths unbloodied, if a man wished to grow beyond his birth.

“My Lord Flaín, give me half of the men and I shall take down one group of brigands as you lay the other half to rest.” Flaín contemplated the idea for a short moment, then shook his head. No, none of the men truly knew the land around here, empty and wild as it were. Adding to the fact that Arias group seemed to have swelled with another hundred men, at least from the abandoned fire-pits they'd found, the king's forces numerical advantage was little to none even if they would face Arias in a regular battle. And by now de Formeselle surely had caught himself a dozen or so hunters and woodsmen, and with their aid he could slip around any force among these hills with ease. His plan might even be just that, to separate them and face them on his terms. No, dividing their force would be playing right into their foes hands.

Lope looked eagerly at him. He has hungry eyes, this one. The new second seemed a descent enough fellow, but his inexperience and impatience was gnarling Flaín's nerves. Ramiro was a solid man, a soldier first and in this not unlike Flaín himself, if not but for that foul mouth of his. With Ramiro, Flaín would have known that the man wouldn't do anything foolish. Lope, on the other hand, wanted to distinguish himself. Might be that he hopes to gain de Formeselle's lands after this. Flaín chuckled at that. Lope wouldn't find much joy in his new holding if that came to pass. But no, giving Lope command to head after half of the rebels would be foolish beyond belief, Flaín decided.

Spain1066.jpg

The realms of the Iberian peninsula upon the death of Fernando I, after which his realm was divided among his sons as well as his tributary Moorish states with the Aftasids of Badajoz paying tribute to Galicia, the Dhunnunids of Toledo to Alfonso, and the Huddids of Zaragoza and Catalayud to Sancho. Lands of the Jimenez dynasty highlighted in white.

“No, tell the men we are continuing west.” Lope looked disappointed, but a moment later he turned around his horse, riding towards the worm of soldiers that was slithering through the hill. A plan had formulated in Flaín's mind, a risky plan – too risky for Flaín's taste under normal circumstances but Alfonso had told him it was of utter importance that Arias was not left to join García unblooded. “If Urraca´s henchmen join their strength with my brother, García will be able to match our strength in the field. Besides, an early victory will wet our men's mouths.” The king had given his orders, and the hound obeyed. He had asked permission to take the head of Arias, to finally settle the score with that man and his line, once and for all. The boon had been given and now the hound would hunt no longer. Aye, brothers, sisters and sweet mother. Soon you shall rest easy. The time of the kill was coming fast.

The soldiers marched on westwards. Over that hill and then one more... Flaín drew a deep breath, watching the land and trying to see if anything had changed since he'd been here last. The hills still gaped empty, grass growing high without a single herd grazing. The smallfolk had never returned, not even now. That saddened him somewhat, but in an odd sort of way it seemed fitting that a land that had seen so much death would lay empty. And when I'm gone, this will be our tomb, and the walls we once raised our headstones. The thought was not as bitter as it had been. His king had given him purpose, something Flaín once had thought he'd never have. And if Alfonso became the king he had been born to be, and Flaín meant to see that he would, then his ancestors might smile upon him yet.

As they reached the top of the hill he could see the the jagged top of the keep. Parts of the crenellations seemed to have fallen down since his last visit. Fifteen long years had passed since then, and the stonework had been ill kept even when his father still lived, but the walls would still be standing. Flaín smiled as he remembered that night, a grim smile not unfamiliar to his face. He still dreamed of the fire sometimes, hearing the scream of men as they battered their hands bloody against barred doors and Flaín smiling, ever smiling. He was not a cruel man. That night had been a night of justice, justice worthy of a king, not cruelty. Even though, this place was not one he remembered fondly, although he knew he should. Enough blood could wash away even the sweetest of memories – but maybe, just maybe, blood could also restore what had once been soiled.

A few hours later, when a hundred men had made camp what had once been a well kept courtyard, now overgrown with weeds, Flaín found himself standing at the gate of what had once been his home. A yellow banner soared above him, not the banner his father had flown. Flaín had laid the wolves of Osorio aside when he swore his sword to Alfonso. “If all men were as steadfast as my fathers hounds, he would conquer the world, he says.” The pale face of a boy who rarely spent any time in the sun looked up at him, eyes like dark pools searching his soul. “Are you a wolf, or a dog?” Flaín looked up at his banner. But even a dog wants his bloodprice taken, my king, and Flaín de Osorio will soon have his fill. Soon.

ShieldofHouseOsorioFlan.jpg

The traditional shield of House Osorio (Left) and the shield of Flaín de Osorio (Right)

A very interesting update. The struggle between brothers continues even here on the field, as the King's men hunt his sister's former lackeys and one has to enjoy the excellent glimpse into Flaín's mind. Some men might see it as a stain upon the house to lay wolf aside in the name of hound, and it certainly carried echoes of bittersweet memories to me. It leaves one wondering why Osorio bent their knee to begin with and what could lead proud Spaniards to 'downgrade' their status so visibly.

Truly great stuff, you have to feel for poor Sancha, watching her sons and daughters tear eachother apart. And how convenient that as two brothers head for war a third is waylaid.

Thanks! Yeah, I sighed heavily in relief when I saw that Sancho was busy in the east when García joined Urraca's rebellion. León is kind of made to be squished between Castille and Galicia if one of them isn't busy with the Moors.

---

So, been suffering from a bit of a problem with this episode, both to get some stuff about Flaín to come out right (I'm still not really satisfied but hey, I rarely am when it comes to my character planning and the actual execution) as well as some chronological issues, add to this a slight writer's block. This was initially meant to feature a part from Rodrigo de Vivar's perspective, which I later choose to postpone due to pacing concerns, later the chapter was instead meant to feature a part from Arias perspective, which I just couldn't get right. Arias chapter will be the next one I wright though, as I still want it to follow this one, but I felt I really should post something since it was a few days since my last update so I polished up what I had that was don(ish). Hence you got what is really half a chapter, but better than nothing, right?

A very interesting update. The struggle between brothers continues even here on the field, as the King's men hunt his sister's former lackeys and one has to enjoy the excellent glimpse into Flaín's mind. Some men might see it as a stain upon the house to lay wolf aside in the name of hound, and it certainly carried echoes of bittersweet memories to me. It leaves one wondering why Osorio bent their knee to begin with and what could lead proud Spaniards to 'downgrade' their status so visibly.

Flaín's and Alfonso's common past will be expanded on in the future, as it connects heavily both to Flaín's personality, as well as to the conflict between Urraca and Alfonso. As for the dog-banner, yes, it's not really viewed as a proper thing to do and the reasoning from Flaín's side is partly due to earlier traumas. There's a few hints in the chapter that leads to it, besides the more obvious ones about what once transpired at the keep, however those hints is harder to see if one were to look at Flaín in-game since I made a huge error when taking notes on him and thus changed his character rather immensely - but it made for interesting character development, so who cares, really?

If you consider that update only 'half-done' Aplestav, I can't wait for the 'full one'! Powerful, and immersive as always. Keep up the good show! Also I thought El Cid doesnt feature for another century or so, or are you just going to pretend hes ingame so as to be a source of information for your narrative?

If you consider that update only 'half-done' Aplestav, I can't wait for the 'full one'! Powerful, and immersive as always. Keep up the good show! Also I thought El Cid doesnt feature for another century or so, or are you just going to pretend hes ingame so as to be a source of information for your narrative?

Oh, now you just making me blush. And yes, Rodrigo de Vivar was born in 1043, so he's very much alive and kicking during Alfonso's reign. He's ingame as the ridiculously over-powered always-marshal of Castille with a bashing 27 in his martial stat.

El Cid lived from 1043 to 1099 historically so he should be 22 or 23 as of the AAR's startdate. He should certainly be featuring, in half a century he'll be either dead or one of the longest living nobles in history!

Edit: Beaten to the punch anyway.

Last edited:
And here I am getting a degree in history, and I forget when El Cid was featured! Oh by the way, are you gonna try and lure him to your court or leave him be?

I only knew because of Age of Empires II: The Conquerors and hey, he's not really a major historical figure after all.

Would be much too spoilerific to say actually. I will say that Rodrigo will be one of the larger side-characters in the story, and will be featured in his own POWs about as much as Sancha and Urraca will be (though how long anyone lasts in the rough environment of Spain none knows, of course).

Well, things have finally loosened up for me with the Arias-chapter, so I'm hoping to post it before the weekend is out. This will most likely be another short chapter, since I don't really fancy dragging it out more than necessary. It will, I hope at least, be rather intensive though, featuring the first sword-clashing of the AAR, as well as finishing the first month of covered gameplay at just about 60 000 letters.

So yes, make sure your comfortable people, you're in for the long haul here.