• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That sounds like a bargain - but whenever I start a game, I don't have the 50 piety required to lift excommunication. As far as I can tell, Earls start with 10, Dukes with 15 and Kings with 20. How are you starting with enough piety to make use of such an option before even starting play?

He's probably using the intrigue option to beg the pope's forgiveness, which costs gold instead of piety IIRC.

I love the DLC my self. (I love uniting Italy with the Massimo dynasty!) I just wish I could alter characters I wasn't playing in a game.

It's a great RP immersion tool. If I do plan on uniting Italy, I might start off in Capua with a Massimo bastard heir who lead a popular over throw of the Norman Lord f the city (as happened historically a little before the game starts)

If you want it a bit quicker, make an Italian cultured character to replace the D'Hautevilles. Conquer Sicily and form the Kingdom of Trinacria (or Naples, point is not Sicily) and then marry the Duchess of Toscana. Since Trinacria is titular it'll take longer for de jure drift to occur than it will for you to create Italy. You may have to kill her husband though. That way you'll be able to drift the Sicilian duchies into Italy and she won't turn down the marriage offer from a King.

It was completely what I expected, they said what it was going to do. They never said you could just edit things from the character. So I'm not not disappointed, and in Multiplayer is quiet fun to have.

It's just my personal opinion, but I think that this marketing text gives you impression that you could edit existing characters:

Johan said:
Who do you want to be today? When you start a new game of Crusader Kings 2 it is the question that every player faces, still finding that perfect character to play is always the challenge. You may have found the perfect place but well the man who has it just isn't quite right. A stat is a little too low, that trait is a little annoying, he could really do with a son and heir, the less said about the nose the better, and why does he have such a stupid name? Well now with the new CK2 ruler designer all these are in your
hands. Customise your character your way. Tweak and change any aspect of the character or even create an all new character and dynasty to play with. Create your portrait, change the name and dynasty and even customise your coat of arms. Change traits and stats at will and decide the size of the immediate family. The game that lets you choose your goals now will let you
choose your character.

Especially the part which I underlined gave me the impression that I could either edit an existing character or create a new one. And this message was posted together with this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvf8X_bXDHI where they edit traits of an existing character.

Source: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-What-you-requested!&highlight=ruler+designer

Yes, it was quite clearly indicated you could edit existing characters. Not promised but an obvious value-add was the ability to make characters that belong to existing houses, and to be able to make other characters you aren't playing (family members, spouse, notable court members, etc.). It's rather disappointing that this hasn't been changed, nor to my knowledge has there even been official acknowledgment of any problem, explanation, or promise to fix/not fix it.

I knew it's gonna be like that, so I haven't bought it.

i wasn't dissapointed by the dlc, bought it and happy with it, i mean its not like it was supposed to be a huge complex thing, just a little something to make it easier for the non modders (i do modding thou).

Yes, I'm extremely disappointed with this DLC. It's bugged & doesn't work like Paradox has advertised. I've posted bugs under the bug forums with the issues I have.

Designing your ruler under this DLC only to find out when you start the game the look you wanted (clothing, headgear, background, etc) doesn't come across makes me want to ask for a full refund.

It doesn't really look like an 'expansion' to me. It's just a small change that is fully optional. At least that's the sentiment I got from the description. I didn't need it so even for 50c I just didn't get it.

Characters in CK2 change both clothing and background at all times, not just when they gain new positions. The dlc allows you to visualize and see how the character would look with the clothes on, not edit what he wears.

I have had issues with certain characters and not being able to change hair color and such though. Also, I'd like to know where the cost of traits can be edited, since it's not under localization.

I'm not disappointed so much as I would like a bit more functionality. Honestly, for the price I doubt I could be disappointed.

Basically what I would like is a drop down list of the names and house names instead of just randomizing things (seriously, how was this overlooked?), and the ability to make your character a member of an existing dynasty instead of your own new dynasty.

Yes, I'm extremely disappointed with this DLC. It's bugged & doesn't work like Paradox has advertised. I've posted bugs under the bug forums with the issues I have.

Designing your ruler under this DLC only to find out when you start the game the look you wanted (clothing, headgear, background, etc) doesn't come across makes me want to ask for a full refund.

When you first load into the game world, the character will look like the original design. However, it will quickly flip over to the new design within a couple of seconds.

Regarding myself; now that I've used it a few times, I love it.

I like the Ruler editor DLC. Its fun starting off as myself and see what I can do with my Dynasty. I do hate how it starts you fresh and does not allow you to keep setup that it should. Having a full court of people who hate you to start is not fun but its not the end of the world.

I am able to create a ruler that is between 27 and 30 with very good starting stats and I can give him a wife and son if I want, sometimes I do sometimes I don't.

I do wish you got to keep your family and stuff but its not a bad DLC. The song DLCs are pointless really, I cannot tell when they are playing vs the normal ones.

Also Paradox making a deal with gamersgate with the bluecoins is great. I always have so many bluecoins and nothing to spend them on.

If you want it a bit quicker, make an Italian cultured character to replace the D'Hautevilles. Conquer Sicily and form the Kingdom of Trinacria (or Naples, point is not Sicily) and then marry the Duchess of Toscana. Since Trinacria is titular it'll take longer for de jure drift to occur than it will for you to create Italy. You may have to kill her husband though. That way you'll be able to drift the Sicilian duchies into Italy and she won't turn down the marriage offer from a King.

I'm well acquainted with that method, actually. :)

I like the Ruler editor DLC. Its fun starting off as myself and see what I can do with my Dynasty. I do hate how it starts you fresh and does not allow you to keep setup that it should. Having a full court of people who hate you to start is not fun but its not the end of the world.

I am able to create a ruler that is between 27 and 30 with very good starting stats and I can give him a wife and son if I want, sometimes I do sometimes I don't.

I do wish you got to keep your family and stuff but its not a bad DLC. The song DLCs are pointless really, I cannot tell when they are playing vs the normal ones.

Also Paradox making a deal with gamersgate with the bluecoins is great. I always have so many bluecoins and nothing to spend them on.

I got mine mostly with BC but still it's weird that paradox would imply something and not deliver, it's not like them.

It certainly fell short of expectations - and that's gentle.

But the next one appears immensely more promising. IMO, the Ruler designer was 'Horse armor', but SOI appears to be proper DLC.

It certainly fell short of expectations - and that's gentle.

But the next one appears immensely more promising. IMO, the Ruler designer was 'Horse armor', but SOI appears to be proper DLC.

Come on, NOTHING was ever as bad as horse armor and I'm a major Bethesda fan. Ruler Designer actually has a use.