• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wargz

Second Lieutenant
27 Badges
Jul 16, 2009
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Lead and Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
I mostly bought it because I wanted to try some making some super characters with random cultures, but the age restriction killed that. To make matters worse the character I designed ended up looking completely different. I think this will be the last time I buy a DLC pack from Paradox.

That's good news at least.

Yeah, character lost all of his hair and gained a silly looking hat, but the hat was probably from being a ruler.

Yes there are some things that need tweaked with the Ruler Designer DLC overall - and I have noticed your same issue of features not staying (hair, beard, etc) after you have designed it. Noticed it mostly with CK2+ and doing a Muslim ruler. Probably those bugs will be fixed in the 1.06 patch.

From my point of view, being a modder, is that the Ruler Designer (along with the music, I play muted) are unnecessary DLCs that add little to nothing to the gameplay for me and thus I didn't bother getting them. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, just...I have no use for them :)

The Muslim (and hopefully upcoming Pagan) DLCs on the other hand I'll definitely be getting.

Thankfully someone gifted me it, but it's not great -- I'm glad I didn't pay for it. Hopefully it will get a revamp at some point.

I knew that it was much weaker than other Paradox expansions, like Deus Vult or Divine Wind, but still I thought that it could be worth my money. Even if it offered only few things which I wanted to see I thought that I would show my support to Paradox, for making this great game, by buying the expansion. However it turned out that they pulled the old bait-and-switch fraud (Advertisement video did show that you could edit existing characters, while in expansion you can only create completely new characters [which I don't want to do]) and I was too stupid to fall into that. I believe that my hubris caused this misfortune and now when I have learned that you shouldn't trust even to your favourite companies, I have decided that wait and see strategy is the best, because they might try to pull similar bait-and-switch fraud with second expansion Sword of Islam.

Most disapointing thing however is that people have made complains about this expansion, but Paradox hasn't bothered to reply to them or address these problems in patch. It doesn't look good if expansions has no support.

Last edited:
Was disappointed at first, but I guess it's a fine dlc for if you want to play your custom dynasty (and coat of arms).
Not quite sure if it was worth the money, but it's not much. So it's ok.

I haven't got it yet, but i do have to say that such DLCs are a bit offensive to the customer, especially when they come so close to the original release. Shouldn't this editor be part of the original 40+ euro purchase? And the same goes with the rest of the similar DLCs (faces etc) I wouldn't mind paying the extra 5 euros for them to be included in the original game if i have to in order to support Paradox (i intend to grab a couple of games on Steam sales for this reason), but i feel that this method of release is a bit demeaning to the loyal customers, just like when they release a new "collection" version of a game, just to release a new minor expansion a couple of months later (HoI3). Maybe they should consider making some of these DLCs available as free patches. Just my opinion of course.

It really needed an option to just change the historical character you've selected rather than always coming up with an entirely new person.
This. Thousand times this. I am so EXTREMELY disappointed they didn't include that! And what makes me actually angry is that they don't even reply AT ALL regarding this! This makes the ruler designer 100 % useless for me, as I didn't buy it to create a fantasy dynasty but simply to edit ALREADY EXISTING dynasties.

No, actually.

I understand why people are complaining, but the Ruler Designer fills exactly what I had in mind. I never wanted to simply change the title holder to another noble (though I understand that intent), and neither did I neccessarily want to have massively overpowered nobles as every one of my created characters.

This is not to say that the DLC is perfect, I just don't personnaly have regret at buying it.

I'm not a huge fan of it, in fact I was a bit baffled when it was announced as it seemed like a gimmick more than anything else. But I still bought it, and every other dlc for CK2 as well simply because good developers need to be supported.

If you take the time, you can change everything, including appearance. So take the time to create the character, and copy the original person if you want.

But play with the mod, or else the age just kills it ;)