• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I too would have preferred the option to edit existing characters if for no other reason to retain their existing claims. Some characters are set up to inherit a title. When you change that, you're making a substantial change to the balance of the area (if there ever was any). It would be great to be able to add claims in the Ruler Designer, but I'm sure that would be difficult to implement and would be easily abused. Allowing the editing of existing characters, while retaining their non-editable statistics (like claims) would be the best way to go.

The things I don't like about it is that you cannot take existing dynasties and attach your custom character to them. For example, with Isle of Man, I want to have be part of the Ua Imair dynasty. Doesn't seem possible. Also looks change, young turns old, sometimes the character looks totally different, and your custom character almost always gets a helmet despite not giving him any headgear.

Agree with above guy.

I'm not disappointed so much as I would like a bit more functionality. Honestly, for the price I doubt I could be disappointed.

Basically what I would like is a drop down list of the names and house names instead of just randomizing things (seriously, how was this overlooked?), and the ability to make your character a member of an existing dynasty instead of your own new dynasty.

Sorry, but this has NEVER worked this way. If I pick a certain crown & clothing for my King, those choices should show that way once you start the game. This currently doesn't work this way.

Uh... you sure you wanted to quote me? I didn't talk at all about clothing and crowns.

Pretty sure he meant to quote this:

Characters in CK2 change both clothing and background at all times, not just when they gain new positions. The dlc allows you to visualize and see how the character would look with the clothes on, not edit what he wears.

I have had issues with certain characters and not being able to change hair color and such though. Also, I'd like to know where the cost of traits can be edited, since it's not under localization.

While I could play fine without the ruler designer, as you can create your own character just fine with the files. It's a item I use a lot. With over 350 hours played I do notice that without it. I wouldn't have played so much. Having your own dynasty and desiding where to start makes up for it all. And I find the price worth it.

Sorry, but this has NEVER worked this way. If I pick a certain crown & clothing for my King, those choices should show that way once you start the game. This currently doesn't work this way.

I think this isn't entirely correct. I made a female ruler with a crown, but when the game started she didn't have her crown anymore as a Countess. As her rank increased though, I noticed she DID gain a crown... particularly once she became a Queen.

I think if you character has a high martial skill (equal to or greater than diplomacy or other skills), they will be given a helmet/coif once the game starts. At least that has been my experience.