• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kudos for considering this! Sounds like a daunting task!

I would go for a simple start and annex some unciv first to get soldiers and resources to use. Perhaps you should consider allying some of the great powers and hope that they can grab some land for you in the beginning. Some considers this to be gamey, but it might be wise to use it for the first few wars at least.

Thanks for the advice Furga. I decided to go for it, so I choose the largest unciv I could have a chance at Japan to conquer. I took Johor and used it as a stepping stone to reach Japan. I wasn't fast enough though as the USA reached Friendly relations with them. I still went ahead with the war and had to fight the USA and China. China white peace'd after I blockaded their ports, but I still had to occupy most of Japan and deal with the US invasions in Ireland. Strangely they only launched them after several years into the war. I then blockaded them into defeat. Next war with Japan I took the rest of it except for the capital. Justify war saved me so much infamy. With Japanense soldiers I intend to right Russia, but where do I go? The weakest front in Russia has to be Western Russia, but it's worthless. However Russian Europe is probably going to be the hardest area to fight, but it's worth something.

How do I fight them?

v2_3-2.png

Japan nomed.

V2_MAP_IRE_18621019_1.png

My holdings.

V2_MAP_IRE_18621019_1All.png

My holdings compared to everyone else.

You should annex tunis and grab pieces of other north african uncivs, both because they're still easy to get and because they're a stepping stone for african colonisation. Oh and get suez now because you won't have the chance to do it later. If you get the region that connects suez with hedjaz, you can also grab oman, yemen, hedjaz etc. Russia is massive and they have the biggest 'real' military force (I'm not counting the uk, since they can't launch land invasions) so you might as well wait until after the scramble for africa. After that, you can get some Persian land and use it as a base of operations (Persia also has a crapload of coal and good resources you might need).

Last edited:
Actually, Russia tends to be bad when fighting wars in the Far East due to having to march huge armies across Siberia, a process which takes a while and inflicts attrition on their troops. So attack from Japan but don't advance into Russia, stay on the defensive to lure their army to you. While you use the Far East as a diversion, consider invading them by sea by landing some troops right into their capital St-Petersburg, then occupy whatever states you want to take from them, and if you win many battles you should have a warscore of at least 20% or more. Impose a naval blockade on Russia from all sides if you can. Just be careful that once you take some Russian cores, they will likely declare war on you every 5 years in an attempt to retake them, so consider allying with Germany as they can tie up most of Russia's armies.

Russia is large with a massive population. I think that the only nation that can defeat them with numbers would be China. This comes at a cost of low literacy so they won't probably have very good techs. Bump your military techs and fortify some easily defended position and crush their armies while defending. After a while you can move onwards with more forces and slowly annex a few states at a time.

I wouldn't advise attacking from Japan. The attrition rates in Siberia will annihilate you and they won't send any troops there to attack you either - practically, you're killing yourself over a bunch of crappy provinces that are worth less than 1 warscore. If you play the defense game using Persia or some other land as a base of operations, you can beat their armies back and then siege without attrition. You'll also get craploads of prestige doing this, which will help your score and your industry.