• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"While I agree that we cannot sit idly by whilst those wild beasts rape and pillage our land and people, surely enslaving such a wild and rabid bunch would only do more harm than good, can any man here think of owning such a rowdy and wild savage as a slave? Who is to say they will not murder their masters in their sleep? No, our best bet to ensure continued prosperity is to force them to bend a knee to us and demand tribute and only tribute."

-Solangus

Last edited:
((Government types/bonuses))

Code:
atlantian_republic = { #Imperatar
	valid_for_new_country = no
	adm_efficiency = 1.25
	republic = yes
	republican_name = yes
	royal_marriage = no
	duration = 8
	#bonus
	tolerance_heretic = 2	
	tolerance_heathen = -1
	colonists = 3	
	production_efficiency = 0.16
	merchant_cost = -0.20
	land_morale = 0.08
	naval_morale = 0.08
	officials = 3	
	allowed_conversion = {
		atlantian_empire = 3.0
	}
	minimum_policy = {
		centralization_decentralization = 2
	}
	minimum_policy = {
		innovative_narrowminded = -2
	}
}

atlantian_empire = { #enBexe Imperatar
	adm_efficiency = 1.05
	monarchy = yes
	royal_marriage = yes
	#bonus
	tolerance_heretic = -1	
	tolerance_heathen = -2	
	colonists = 3
	production_efficiency = 0.16
	land_morale = 0.08
	naval_morale = 0.08
	officials = 2
	allowed_conversion = {
		atlantian_republic = 1.5
	}
	minimum_policy = {
		centralization_decentralization = -2
	}
	minimum_policy = {
		innovative_narrowminded = 2
	}
}

atlantian_badland = { #Xinbadu
	adm_efficiency = 0.8
	monarchy = yes
	tribal = yes
	nomad = yes
	colonize_prov = yes
	#bonus
	tolerance_heretic = -2	
	tolerance_heathen = -3	
	land_morale = 0.1
	officials = 0.5	
	technology_cost = 0.5
	global_revolt_risk = 1
	allowed_conversion = {
		atlantian_empire = 1.5
	}
	minimum_policy = {
		centralization_decentralization = 3
	}
	minimum_policy = {
		innovative_narrowminded = 3
	}
} 

atlantian_merchant = { #Zahr
	adm_efficiency = 1.15
	republic = yes
	republican_name = yes
	royal_marriage = no
	mercantile_diplomacy = yes	#FB-HT3
	duration = 4
	#bonus
	tolerance_heretic = 1	#FB-HT3
	tolerance_heathen = 1	#FB-HT3
	colonists = 3
	merchant_cost = -0.25
	officials = 0.35	#FB-HT3
	allowed_conversion = {
		administrative_republic = 0.5
		bureaucratic_despotism = 1.0
	}
	minimum_policy = {
		aristocracy_plutocracy = 1
	}
}

((If you think something is wrong or broken, please discuss it at the mod thread, not here.))

Erodel, Pavo - Friends, you make many excellent points, especially the need for powerful trade to fund our Nation's endeavors and a grand navy to protect the interest of our trade. As the importance of this is not lost on you and you have both eloquently described these needs. My only question is, do you go far enough? To realize our dream we need more than trade - support new innovation, respect the gods, grant privileges to the artisans, fund the military! Our ultimate goals are the same, so why do you limit your vision to merchants?

For these reasons, I am tempted to support you in the coming election. However, I must add that there are certain areas where you are not as informed as you might be on the topics of which you speak, and it is to these issues that I now must turn.

Erodel, why do you scoff at the fighting men, the soldiers and sailors and aristocrats who, with their blood, have kept you and your money safe for millennia? Who are you to say that they are undeserving of our respect due to their triumphs in battle? Without the common soldiers or aristocratic knights your Atlantean trade center would have collapsed long ago. Do not allow the greedy plutocrats to control the comings and goings of this Nation! It is the blood of the commoners and the aristocrats, the soldiers and the sailors and the knights, who have preserved us and granted us this opportunity for glory. You merchants are important, but you are not, and never will be, the ultimate source of our Nation's power.

Pavo, either I have completely misunderstood you, or you are woefully misinformed about the circumstances surrounding the western border. There is no 'ultimatum' to send to the Urollan hordes. We have been warring with them since the collapse of the first Atlantean Nation. They will not cave into your demands without a significant show of force, nor is such an ultimatum necessary to being a conflict. Second, on the issue of slaves and wild beasts - these people are certainly not refined but they are hardly wild beasts. I lived among Urollan slaves on the western frontier and they are strong, proud, and honorable. They will not take kindly to your ultimatum.
If your proposal, instead, is meant to gain support for a major military expedition to the western frontier then I must wholly agree with your goals, if not your means. It has been too long since we demonstrated the full might of the Azlaxan military and raids have been increasing of late. Grind them into the earth and force them back into our tribute. I will warn you, however, do not underestimate their strength and cunning. They are formidable opponents, civilized or no.

-- Pontia Krupt

((OOC edit - how do I change my sig? I have gone into my profile 'about me' but there is no 'edit' option available. Am I missing something or am I just doing it wrong? Thanks!))

Last edited:
((Go on settings and scroll down a bit, it's on the left hand side))

"I agree with Pontia, the Urollans are not to be underestimated. I had several clashes with them when I was still a soldier, and they are most certainly formidable opponents. If we were to underestimate them, it would be a grave mistake on our part. Now, this suggestion made to enslave the Urollans, can you live with yourself in enslaving fellow Atlanteans?"- Auron Desimodius

((Question: Was there a revolution or not? The first post says over-throw, but the history says peaceful turnover of power, I am confused)

"How strong can the western savages be? They do not engage us on the field of battle, instead they run around, killing the unarmed young and old. I see no army of savages sieging our walls, if the western tribes were so powerful as to rival our armies they would have done so by now."

-Solangus

Last edited:
((Question: Was there a revolution or not? The first post says over-throw, but the history says peaceful turnover of power, I am confused)

"How strong can the western savages be? They do not engage us on the field of battle, instead they run around, killing the unarmed young and old. I see no army of savages sieging our walls, if the western tribes were so powerful as to rival our armies they would have done so by now."

-Solangus
(:)oo Let's go with peaceful. But the word "overthrow" can technically be used to represent any rapid change... I guess.))

((can we go with violent please? my entire backstory (and a few others from what I've read) is crafted on it))

((Agreed, my characters backstory is based on a violent revolution. Plus, I'm doubtful that any firmly entrenched millennia old oligarchy is going to peacefully hand over power to the people))

Enslaving anyone is firmly against the principles our republic stands for, especially fellow Atlantians. Freedom and liberty do not and cannot co-exist with slavery and suppression of any people, and if we don't wish to see our nation toppled like the one that came before it, then we must not commit such acts.

But neither do I advocate that we let them commit their own heinous crimes, just that we don't lower ourselves to their standard. War; that is a more honourable alternative. It is time that the savages are put in their place, and shown the might of our military.

- Alexite Wardoxan

((can we go with violent please? my entire backstory (and a few others from what I've read) is crafted on it))

Senator Graetius Tauronian, flanked on the left by the captain of the Aztlani guard and on the right by the High Priest of Ozur, bangs his fist on the podium repeatedly for silence from the senate. Graetius then clears his throat (clearly audible in the back row of the senate), quickly nods to the left of the forum, where his staunchest allies sit, and begins his first official speech to the Aztlani senate

Greetings fellow senators and servants of the people!

It is heartening to see so many of you here today and I am sure that, in all we do, we will remember to be loyal to the state and to the proud people of Aztlanxo.

On the streets there is much cynicism regarding this newly elected senate. The average Aztlani, having been brought up under the heel of an oppressive regime, is still doubtful regarding our true intentions. They wonder what our true motivations are, they call into question our legitimacy as a political force, and some are actively agitating for all highborn men and women to be ousted from the senate. While this news is most distressing for me, it must be exponentially more distressing for those few that, if given the chance, would use the political power given to this assembly by the people and by the Gods, to subjugate the masses and re-establish an oligarchical system of government in which they themselves would act as tyrant rulers over the Aztlani. Rest assured, while I still draw breath I will fight for the rights of my fellow man, be them highborn or lowborn… and I hold you all as senators to that same standard. I know that together through, upright and moral political practice, we will combat the cynics dispel any accusations against us as a body and as individuals.

Let is be known throughout Aztlanxo that while we as a nation have freed ourselves from the grip of an oppressive cadre of oligarchs, there is still much work to be done before we can consider our government structure a true republic. I am sure that you all have by now heard calls for a merchant “republic,” wherein the moneyed class would control all aspects of governance. It seems preposterous that, after throwing off the yolk of oppression from the feudal aristocrats, any society would wish to so quickly give up their newly gained political rights to a few wealthy merchants. Please don’t misinterpret my statement… merchants are becoming increasingly more important and instrumental in the growing prosperity of Aztlanxo. They are building new bonds that connect the continent and, through the transport of luxury and basic goods to our glorious capital city, they are increasing the standard of living among all classes. While this work is commendable, it does not allow them to seize complete political power and it does not allow them to look down upon the “lower” classes. I therefore reject any attempts to change our political structure from a Republic to a mere Plutocracy. I also feel that the aristocrats have no business hoarding all the political power for themselves but as they have not openly pushed for greater political power, I see no need to go to the trouble of pointing out that we as a nation had, not long ago, overthrown a similar Oligarchical system.

Recently there has been much talk of invading the “barbarous” lands to the West. Some among you see a western campaign as a short and profitable venture and one that would enlarge our realm and help ensure the continued prominence of the Aztlanti people. While all war is a glorious test of arms, I must stress that these Ulorrans are both fierce and more civilized than some may give them credit for. Any military venture against these people would need to be expertly carried out by the finest generals Aztlanxo has to offer and, once we defeat these people, we must act humanely and honorably towards the Ulorrans. I am part Ulorran myself and although my ultimate loyalties obviously lie with the people of Aztlanxo, I will not have my western brothers clapped in irons and carted off to serve upperclass Aztlani. There are two main problems I have with the recent (absolutely abhorrent) proposal to enslave these people when we subjugate them:

1. If we are to one day unite the continent under one banner, it shall be done in the spirit of Atlantean brotherhood. Can the Aztlani people claim the entire continent of Atlantis for themselves and enslave all other ethnicities? Such a policy would lead to fractionalization and ruin! We must be fair to any conquered peoples and we must try to acculturate them and incorporate them into our society as equals.

2. Mass enslavement inevitably leads to unemployment among the working classes. Even as thousands of Ulorran slaves are forced by aristocrats to till their vast fields, the many peasants of the countryside will flock to the cities in search of jobs. Even as thousands of Ulorran slaves are forced by wealthy merchants to construct monolithic building projects, the many city dwellers of Aztlanxo, having lost their jobs to slaves, will be mired in poverty and squalor.

I now come before you all to propose an alternative to the exclusively aristocratic or merchant rule… to invite you to the Populares, a political party based on primarily on equality among the social classes. Let Aztlani society be based on a meritocracy and let our government reflect the values of liberty and egalitarianism that the people so yearn for. Let no man think he is inherently better than his neighbor, for we are all Aztlani and we rise and fall together. Let us unite under a common cause and not be swayed and separated by social divides.

I call on the merchants, whose enterprising spirit revitalizes the economy and the nation, to join their Aztlanti brothers in the Populares so that they might help guide the party with their pragmatic, resourceful spirit.

I call on the working classes, who, through hard work and toil, have transformed both this city and this nation from a modest farming village into the gem of the continent, to join the Populares so that they might be able to exercise their newly won political freedoms and steer Aztlani society towards greater freedom and prosperity

I must be going soon, my friends, but I wish to propose one more point to this legislative body: that you all consider me for the position of Imperator! If elected, I shall uphold the principles of the Populares and I will do my utmost to bring glory as well as economic prosperity to the nation. Thank you all, and may the Gods bless you and keep you.

---Graetius---

((if anyone has any questions/comments feel free to PM me))

Last edited:
"I offer my full support for Graetius to be the Imperator. As he has pointed out, if we were to enslave the westerners, the rest of Atlantis would look down upon us, and would most likely see us a threat, and therefore seek to destroy us. We do not want that. Furthermore, they are of course, Atlanteans, and we can not make ourselves superior to the other Atlanteans, that would just be a betrayal of Atlantis as a whole, back when we were unified. We are all Atlanteans at the end of the day, and therefore we should all have equal rights. I urge you all here to support Graetius, and the Populares, as we shall bring a bright future for Atlantis and our realm."- Auron Desimodius

Last edited:
"I... Am a reluctant soul. What we have here, is a fragile state. The people of Atlantis have been through much, and I watch as my peers bicker and argue amongst convoluted political issues. I need not to tell you of my origins, in the fact that they are already well-publicized." Ostarian chuckles, "I, like many of you, am weary of long-winded speeches and empty promises. As of now, I will not be backing any political pressure group nor any current candidate, and I am under the legal limit for seeking the candidacy myself. So, I would ask of those who are running, keep the people in mind, keep those who are simple in word and action when you consider a decision. Listen to them, do what they want, lest we fall back into the foolishness of the old regime."

-Ostarian Llan, Llan's Manifesto

Pavo Krispin

Date of Birth: 5th March, 1308(aged 48)

Place of Birth: Atlantis City

Height: 5ft 9in.

Weight: 89kg.

Ethnic Origin: Azlanti

Social Class: Aristocrat

Education: Privately tutored in states craft, sciences, religion and economics.

Background: Born in 1308 to Akorian and Aliandara Krispin, Pavo’s father was a senator and a member of the inner circle aiding Toxom the Great in ruling Azlanxo while his mother was the daughter of a prominent and powerful aristocratic merchant. From 1315 to 1328 he was privately tutored by various scientists, statesmen, mathematicians and theologians. In 1330, aged 22 he followed in his father’s footsteps and became a Senator. By 1337 he had made a name for himself as a staunch aristocrat and a mild authoritarian. In 1340 his father passed away and the leadership of the family was his, he used large amounts of the family fortune to buy control of some ships, which he used to establish a small trading corporation. By 1348, aged 40, he had become a powerful Senator among the Aristocratic class and a well off merchant. In 1353 the tragedy struck, Toxom the Great passed away and the tight hold the Aristocracy had on the government fell to pieces, the main leaders of the Optimates were either imprisoned or killed in their minor insurrection against this, Pavo quickly grabbed the reins when the vacancy of leadership was opened and has since then tried to rebuild the Optimates power.

Community Status: As a member of the age old aristocratic class he maintains good relations with the upper and middle classes.

Skills: Decent orator and scientist

Political Beliefs: Pavo believes in a slightly autocratic state with democratic elements still around, he prioritizes the buildup of the military in general, he firmly believes the standards of living of all citizens should be improved and he is leader of the Optimates (the Aristocracy)

Religious Beliefs: Pavo has always been moderate with his faith, but does favor Ozur over any of the other gods.

Hobbies/Entertainment: Pavo enjoys writing and experimenting scientific theories.

Strengths: Iron will to achieve.

Ambitions: To achieve the seat of Imperatar

Fears/Phobias: Fear of heights

Type of Humour: Dark humour.

General Health: Excellent for his age.

Distinguishing Marks: A scar on his face from a duel.

Disabilities: Slight limp in his left leg.

Advisor type: Statesman

Senator Pavo Krispin sits quietly in his seat among the other Optimates, watching the other factions bicker.

Pontia, I assure you that I respect the average soldier. The aristocrats of the past who got their positions without earning them, something which often led to unnessecary deaths, those are the ones I hold little respect for. Should an aristocrat rightfully earn a position in the military, I will respect that, but our men should not be led by people who just happened to be the son of the former commander? No, those positions should be instead be given to people who actually deserves it.

Graetius, I agree that we merchants should not be the only ones who would have positions of power in a potential "Merchants' Republic". I merely used that word because the north-eastern republics call themselves that ((And since there is no such thing as a "Republic of Meritocracy" in-game)), and they are by old laws ((I apologize for calling it that way, but merchant republics are the only ones who can ask for trade rights and invite to trade leagues)) the only ones who can form trade leagues and hold trade rights.

Lastly, for now, I would like to say that I agree on the issue of potential enslavement of the Urollan hordes. As other have said, we should bring them into our society rather than taking them as slaves.

Erodel

I fully support Graetius candidacy and will gladly join the Populares.
In regards to the war in the West: while we need to expand our borders, I will oppose any kind of enslavement or exploitation of the Urollan people; civilized or not they are still atlantean, not cheap servitude for aristocrats and merchants.

- Katalin Belatz

((Okay, can the founders of the Populares, Optimates and the so-far unnamed merchant's party please PM me a general party platform so that I can post them? Thanks. Glad we have some political parties going.))

Last edited:
Erodel, were it not for your average frontier aristocrat, we would have been overrun long ago. Commoner soldiers cannot afford the equipment to become a mounted force, nor can they afford to build the castles and forts necessary to keep the enemy at bay. Your plutocrats have, in the past, been unwilling to pay for a professional cavalry force or for the upkeep of our forts. These tasks fall to people like my family. Those you consider 'undeserving' simply because they were born to shed their blood to protect you. Perhaps you plan to provide generous funding to these projects, but for now I am skeptical.

To those who oppose enslavement - your ideal are laudable, but prepare for resistance from the frontiersmen, for whom the effective servitude of captives on both sides is a millennia-old tradition.

Pavo Krispin - welcome. Why so silent? You have made your ambitions known, why not share your vision for the Nation?

((OK, OOC, trying to keep the whole thing organized in my head - At the moment, our candidates who have their hats in the ring are:

Graetius Tauronian of the Populares candidacy speech
Pavo Tsharthagion of the [merchants faction; is there a party name here?] Candidacy Speech

Presumaby, Pavo Krispin of the Optimates will enter the race soon as well.))

Pontia, in the past, handling the frontier was not the responsibility of the merchants. And neither should it ever be. A nations armed forces should not belong to any specific class. Not the aristocrats, and neither the merchants. It should obey the government, who taxes everyone. The merchants, the aristocrats as well as the average man.

And I consider an aristocrat undeserving until he has proven himself competent. And he may never prove himself competent, and that might lead to many deaths which would not have happened, had he been competent. That is why I would prefer to see people like Graetius in command of the army. People who have proved themselves.

As a last thing. If we wish to see Atlantis united, we cannot do that by enslaving every other nation, we need to integrate them into our own, as other people had already said.

- Erodel

Last edited:
"Hear, hear! While my reasons for not wanting to enslave the wild beasts are different, I agree with Erodel, the savages will make far greater soliders and bag carriers than pets."

"But while I still have the floor, I would like to annouce my vote for Pavo Tsharthagion for Imperartar when the election comes, for despite his support for slavery of the savages, his vision of our nations future is truly the fairest and most sensible."

"I would also like to add the issue of Eurpanxo onto the floor, what is our stance on them? Should we allow them to go back into the fold of the Eurpan's? Or allow them to prosper in an alliance with us?"

-Solangus

Last edited:
If for nothing else than to prevent Eurpan growing too strong, I believe that we should send a warning to Eurpan, clearly telling them that we would side with Eurpanxo, should Eurpan decide to declare war against them. For should Eurpan conquer Eurpanxo and ally themselves with the southern nation Ilunleher, even the most competent military commander would have a hard time. I instead say let us try to keep those two nations apart from each other, while preventing any growth from them.

- Erodel

Status
Not open for further replies.