• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
((Just to end it))

Pavo Krispin walks slowly down an alley, when he hears a small child crying, he turns and spots a little girl huddled in a corner sobbing. He approaches her cautiously, but in an instant she springs with a blade and stabs him repeatedly. He collapses...dead...

((Thus ends the last of the Optimates... Illriyo is the Populare candidate right? All these shakeups have left me confused...))

((And the first of the Optimates too! And yes, Leeroy's character, Illriyo, is standing for the Populares))

((Just remembered Magnive is away and asked to vote for me, back here, so I'll do his form...))

Vote: Unio Libertatis
Name: Erodel Krispin
Party: Unio Libertatis

((I did... the "here" was link to the original post, but Riccardo has quoted it for you now...))

I of course vote for myself, and the populares
Vote: Populares
Name: Illriyo Moruterrar
Party: Populares.

Last edited:
Vote: Unio Libertatis
Name: Alamander Urenahin
Affiliation: Mercator (assuming there are still other Mercators)

The regrettable lack of Mercator representation in this election has forced me to choose between equally distasteful options. I could have voted for the Populares to support stability in our republic given that, as much as it pains me to say it, we vote for blocs rather than individuals and their bloc was elected for a full term. I could have abstained, as per the wishes of my most vocal constituents, to show their equal distrust of both parties who are up for election. I ultimately decided to give the Liberals my vote though for several reasons. I have had good debates and discussions with Senator Smigt in my brief time as a senator and he is one of the few individuals that I feel are worthy of leading our nation. I disagree with some of their views but they should not ruin the nation by enforcing them and they will be held accountable for their actions at the next election. I feel that they are the only counterbalance we have at the moment to the potential excesses of a continuing Populares government. Finally, I believe that at this critical time in our nation's history we should unite behind the best available candidate so as to minimise the internal threats we might face while the external situation is fluid and unknown to all but the Gods.
- Senator Alamander Urenahin, representing Ordika province.

I would like to thank you, Senator Urenahin, for your kind words about me and add that the silence to the questions posed of my opponent is hardly confidence inspiring. Is it that this is a candidate that is too lazy to be accountable? Is it that this candidate is so arrogant he assumes a win is secured? Is it that this candidate is not in touch with the facts? Is it that this candidate has no answers? Secrecy will not make our nation stronger. Poor leadership will weaken our state. Policies that are not in touch with reality will lead to disaster for our country. If you, the people of Atlantis, want these prophesies to come true, then vote for the Populares candidate, and bring a man who is either too lazy, arrogant or stupid to rule to power. If you don't, I present you with the alternative; vote for Marcellus Smigt of Unio Libertatis, so that I can bring liberty, justice and freedom to Atlantis and her people.

I would also like to agree that the lack of a candidate for the political right, either from the merchant or aristocratic class, is regrettable, because it shows a lack of democratic commitment from those factions - perhaps, it is a wider symptom of a society at odds with the democracy it has created? Perhaps, it is a result of the triumph of the left last election and a bad loser cutting off his nose to spite his face? Either way, it saddens me to know that this shortage of a candidate weakens democracy and our republic.

I believe my party's lack of representation has less to do with "lack of democratic commitment" or "spite" and more to do with a painful confluence of business affairs, family commitments, and procedural hurdles. We are after all active businesspeople and family members. I believe individual members must put their own welfare first, even above that of the state. Surely our democracy is robust enough to endure a few regretful absences. Surely us senators are free to ensure own needs are met.

((Should we be using the terms left and right to describe our current situation? I fear that they may be too loaded with modern connotations plus all the parties are currently pretty much the same on the issues, disagreeing only with how far we should push the sliders.))

Indeed, it is important that individual needs are met, but that your entire movement cannot field one man to stand is not a good thing for representative democracy overall, I hope you agree.

((I think left and right are perfectly valid descriptions of what the parties stand for, even if they approach the situation in a different way to modern parties - the pops are clearly of the masses while the mercs are of the upper and upper-middle classes and the libs fall somewhere in between, just as say, on the left we have Labour, the right the Tories and in the centre the Leb Dems [and I use that analogy with full knowledge that the connotations, for the moment and where I live at least, give the worst of the three images to my party...]. I would wager that the adjectives are perfectly valid descriptions of the universal scale politics ends up falling into, whilst the connotations are your own.))

I would like to thank you, Senator Urenahin, for your kind words about me and add that the silence to the questions posed of my opponent is hardly confidence inspiring. Is it that this is a candidate that is too lazy to be accountable? Is it that this candidate is so arrogant he assumes a win is secured? Is it that this candidate is not in touch with the facts? Is it that this candidate has no answers? Secrecy will not make our nation stronger. Poor leadership will weaken our state. Policies that are not in touch with reality will lead to disaster for our country. If you, the people of Atlantis, want these prophesies to come true, then vote for the Populares candidate, and bring a man who is either too lazy, arrogant or stupid to rule to power. If you don't, I present you with the alternative; vote for Marcellus Smigt of Unio Libertatis, so that I can bring liberty, justice and freedom to Atlantis and her people.
((Those questions would be......? I am sorry but I am just feeling kind of hopeless about all of this, where did my entire election base go, what happened to the mercies? It feels like the game lost half it's players :/. Still I will debate you if you want.))

((I noticed a marked decrease of participation in BBB's Presidents as well, IIRC. I believe that end of July is a good time for vacations, so people are probably off tanning and drinking fruity beverages with umbrellas in tropical paradises. Meanwhile, I am stuck in rainy, old Detroit. I assume things will improve come autumn. Let's do try to stay on topic though.))

((These))

((I hope someone from the Mercators takes the reins of the party soon. I can debate but I deliberately built this character so I couldn't do anything substantive for an election cycle or two. Who is actually left in the party that is currently active?))

Senator Moruterrar, I hope you do not mind if I cast the same critical eye over your policies as I did with the Liberals.

- If you were given a chance to alter our national policies during your tenure which of your party's positions would you enforce?
- You argue that centralisation will avoid a regression back to a feudal system and you blame decentralisation for the control previously exercised by aristocrats and petty monarchs. Would not centralisation make it easier for an oligarch of any kind, be they an aristocrat, a plutocrat, a general, or even an elected Imperatar, to seize control of Atlantis? Is this kind of consolidation appropriate given the rumours of what Tauronian, the man who founded your party, planned to do after the Pacification of the West?
- In general my constituents and I have to agree with your stance on military matters. How many regiments will be stationed in the new lands to help keep the barbarian tribes in order and protect the well-being of Azlanti settlers? Will government funds be used to build garrisons and upgrade strategic forts?
- You make reference to keeping the Great Northern Pact intact. The Liberals have argued for excluding Borxison from the alliance because they have hereditary rule rather than a true legislature and the common Atlantean seems to favour convincing the Imperatar of Borxison to peacefully transition his nation to democracy. What will be your policy towards our northern neighbour?

I look forward to your responses.
- Senator Alamander Urenahin, representing Ordika province.

I also have a small query for the leader of the Populares. ((It is in reference to this post))

Senator Moruterrar, you say that, "We [the Populares] are confident that our existing navy can manage any assault on our coasts and we still wholeheartedly defend the merchants of Aztlanxo with our warships if ever pirates should threaten their trading enterprises." However, we have no such fleet. We have no warships with which to defend our merchants. Seven cogs does not amount to a fleet that could manage any assault on our coasts, let alone a serviceable navy that could stand even the slightest resistance. Could you please reconcile your party's stance with reality?

I, too, am eager to hear your response,
Marcellus Smigt

Status
Not open for further replies.