• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My constituents are worried about competition from outside our borders, where they lack the ethics we apply to our workers and don't have to deal with the ongoing costs of risks of working in the newly annexed regions.

Foreigners are still subject to the laws of the land, and as such should not be in a position to abuse people within our borders. As to the newly annexed regions, I believe there are already subsidies of land and suchlike available for those enterprising enough to do business there, and as such the cost is really applied not to the people but to the government.

I think you do a disservice to our fighting men and women by implying that it would only take weeks to raise a force of their calibre. I agree that some naval might is needed but no more than a few galleys to protect our modest fleet of cogs. We should instead be focused on providing proper garrisons for our provincial guards and bringing the trappings of civilisation to the newly annexed lands.

I apologise for any offence I may have caused; however, the time distinction is still clear to see and should not be understated purely out of respect. The reason I propose focussing more on the navy than the army, other than for the aforementioned reasons, is that we already have the largest army on the continent and is more than sufficient to ensure order is kept in the provinces.

So you would throw them out of the Great Northern Pact and break the word of our government. The Populares may have signed the treaty but it is up to us all to ensure that we adhere to its obligations. ((Here in case you missed it.))

I would favour that, yes. It is my belief that it should be a league of republics, not of political or geographical convenience. Maybe in the place of Borxison, we could consider admitting the western republic of Ollan.

Do not fear asking questions for fear of offending me, for I take none: I am indeed flattered that you are taking such an interest in my views, and agree with you that only through seasoned debate can we construct solid policies for the future of this country.

((Mr C, can you update the link on the front page to the new party post? Thanks))

Last edited:
((For how long?))

((Two weeks or so?))
I'll post the message
Imperator
I may be away for the next two weeks WITHOUT internet access(currently have nothing to allow me to get on the internet), so you may have to run in my stead. As such, it would probably be in your interest to prepare a platform for you(or maybe me if I return if you so wished, since I may have trouble writing one up whilst away) to run under. If the last time I have logged on is today(13/07) by Sunday, it is safe to assume that I am unable to access the internet and as such it would be up to you to run for the Populares

((Good news, I have got internet access now. Bad news, Very limited, and the connection fluctuates. ))

"It is with great sadness I must announce that I have to withdraw from running for Imperator as a family crisis has occurred, and as such I shall be preoccupied with funeral procedures and such. I would like to endorse Senator Moruterrar as a candidate to represent the Populares in the election. I have a courier prepared that will be delivering messages to me of the goings-on within the Senate whilst I am away, and the courier will also deliver any messages I seek to send to the Senate, such as any choices on a vote."-Auron Desimodius

((Just a heads up to the parties, I'll need to know who is running for each party come Monday. Send me a PM ASAP. Thanks. Also, I updated the link for the Unio.))

I fully endorse Marcellus Smight as our candidate, and as the best candidate for Imperator; and encourage all moderates to work with us to bring stability and compromise to Atlantis!

((Okay, I need candidates for Imperatar to post their platforms so that we can begin the election.))

((Here's looking at you, Mercators, Populares, Optimates...))

It is... unfortunate that only the Liberators seemed organized enough to have an election platform ready in a punctual manner.

I would have worries if three people took as long to organise a platform as the larger parties. Imagine the debates that the Populares must be having with each other over where best to take their party given that their founder is dead and his legacy grows clouded.
- Senator Alamander Urenahin, representing Ordika province.

That is indeed a good point, but their numbers have dwindled over the past few years, either through party dissatisfaction or simply many members having personal or familial problems that must dictate their full attention.

The Populares indeed have a rather simple debate, to support the ideals of Graetius, to refute them entirely, or to attempt to find a moderate area between those two views; from there, the issue becomes where to moderate or to change policy. I doubt the Populares would change course dramatically in areas such as individual freedom, or an aggressive foreign policy, and that any changes to their religious or centralist views would be gradual or largely insignificant.

The Mercators are largely the same; do they continue to assail Graetius' reputation, or do they choose to be more conciliatory; since their policies are broadly supported by their members, the only other issue would be whether to continue supporting a Merchant Republic or not.

And then there are the Optimates...

((Just in case there is any confusion on the matter, I'm going to vote for myself... so there is no need to be so cryptic Magnive...))

((I was hoping for someone else to step forward, but I guess I will have to be the candidate for the Pops, my platform will be in by the days end.

((I am pretty busy so I will just keep Graetius's platform with a few added touches))
*Illriyo Stands*
Now that we have lost the two shining leaders of our party, both exemplars of virtue and courage, we must press onward, for the Republic and for the People of Atlanxo. It appears that not by ambition but by duty I must step up to the plate and take the mantle of the Populares to carry us into the next 4 years.
Here is the Platform for our party.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Populares
Jendea, Herialvea, Jainkoentea (For the people, for the state, for the gods)
(-2) Centralised/Decentralised.
(0) Aristocracy/Plutocracy.
(+5) Serfdom/Free Subjects.
(-3) Innovative/Narrowminded.
(+2) Mercantilism/Free Trade.
(-1) Offensive/Defensive.
(-1) Land/Naval.
(-2) Quality/Quantity.
(+3) Isolationism/Expansionism
(+3) Secularism/Theocracy

Primicerius (leader): Graetius Tauronian
(future Primicerii will be elected every 5 years)

Dicerius (2nd in command):Auron Desimodius
(future dicerii will be elected every 5 years)

Members:
Auron Desimodius
Katalin Belatz
Alexite Wardoxan
Ostarian Llan
Illriyo Moruterrar
((Message LeeroyJenkins if you are a member but not on that list.))

We, the Populares, are a multi-ethnic coalition of Senators who are focused on promoting equality throughout Aztlani society. We believe that ultimate political power should lie in the hands of the masses, not in the exclusive grip of “highborn” aristocrats and shadowy merchants and we will fight for both the political and economic rights of every Atlantean.

We, the Populares, believe in the general axiom that decentralization will inevitably lead to a feudal society in which the strong can take from the weak without fear of retribution. To evade this retrogression of the social order, and to promote the general effectiveness of the state, we seek to centralize the government to some extent. The Populares are well aware of the potentially heavy financial costs that a centralized bureaucracy may bring with it. Therefore we must also stress the necessity of maintaining national fiscal responsibility. Even the merchants in this senate house will agree that fiscal responsibility is one of the most important tasks of government.

We, the Populares, promote a fundamentally offensive stance with regards to the military. The history of Atlantis and the personal experiences of the more militant members have shown that the best defense regularly comes in the form of a good offense. This does not mean that the Populares will look for war if elected, but it does mean that we will readily defend our borders against invaders and cattle-thieves, be them attackers Urrolan, Norran, Eurpan, or even rogue Aztlani.

Now with a mighty northern Alliance built, we Populares will focus on uniting the Atlantean continent into one glorious nation that will span the globe as the empire of old.

We, the Populares, mindful that Atlanxo must defend itself from land invasion and conscious of the growing instability to the East, South, and West, have come to the understanding that our land forces should be bolstered. We are confident that our existing navy can manage any assault on our coasts and we still wholeheartedly defend the merchants of Aztlanxo with our warships if ever pirates should threaten their trading enterprises.

---The Populares---

((Are we working on the assumption that this election will start on Monday, regardless of whether the Mercs or Optimates post platforms?))

Status
Not open for further replies.