• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
((On holiday, I'm fine with Pavo's impeachment, though he might huff and shift to the Optimates/try to assassinate Caprica et al. Limited activity.))

Last edited:
Kaioo said:
(1) An Imperator may be ousted out of office by a vote of No Confidence where at least 66% of the Senate declares No Confidence
(a) The reasons for calling a Vote of No Confidence have to be justified, and can not just be used as a political weapon due to the current Imperator being not to your likings, or being a political enemy.
(ii) A vote of No Confidence can not be called until the Imperator has served for at least 2 years, to prevent misuse of the No Confidence Vote.
(iii) No more than 2 Votes of No Confidence can be declared during a term.
(iv) If a Vote of No Confidence is denied(66% is not attained), then another vote can not be declared until another 2 years have passed where the Imperator
has served.
(b) The Imperator is not allowed to participate in the Vote of No Confidence as it is a vote by the members of the Senate to decide whether the Imperator can remain in office, and the Imperator would thus be biased in such a vote.
(2)An individual may not be Imperator for more than 3 terms
(a) If an individual is ousted out of office after more than 50%(4 years) of the term has been served, it shall still be regarded as a term having been served.
(b) If less than 50% of the term has been served, and an Imperator is ousted out of office, then it shall not be regarded as a term having been served, and as such they are still able to serve three terms.
(c) An Imperator can not serve for more than two consecutive terms.

I too agree with this modified bill, although I would slightly increase the vote of no-confidence percentage, I believe it's a reasonable enough proposition that will provide a legal and peaceful way of removing an emperor without restricting his powers too much.

There are two bills up for debate (one of which is up for vote):
First dealing with the enslavement of the Urollans.
Vote Yes/No

Second is dealing with Kaioo's proposed reforms including term limits and votes of no confidence. You made include suggestions for this one as the vote hasn't started yet.

Last edited:
((Just to say, I have amended the bill to include the marriage clause, so the vote would just be a straight yes/no.))

I vote yes on the Lex Caprica et Aureolis.

Senators, this legislation is the product of consultation between myself and many others, and so incorporates the greatest swath of opinions on the matter. It is a prudent and pragmatic law that shall see the Urollan provinces peacefully united with our Republic. Moreover, it shall shelter our own citizenry from an influx of immigrants, replenish our losses in the campaign, foster the Republic with a standing army and provide for the fiscal and political organisation of our new territories. I thus see no reason why this splendid law should not pass into being, and so encourage my fellow Senators to support its passage through this house.

- Caesennia Caprica

"I do not approve of the enslavement of the Urollans. I do not urge my peers to feel blind hatred towards them, but at the same time, to keep them in check. I vote NO to the enslavement of hte Urollans.

And as for the impeachment amendment, it seems fair. I vote yes."

A horsemen from Vulpis' camp arrives, carrying letters from the good general.

On the bill presently being voted on, I vote yes and encourage my fellow Senators to do the same. On the bill about to come up, I do not support term limits, but support a two thirds vote of confidence to be called as proposed in the proposal.

Another letter was passed on to Solangus...

Senator Solangus, be more cautious in your attacks against the Imperator; I am doing my best to keep the rumours of deposition or other such actions from his camp, but not because I support your means. This campaign must go smoothly, and it certainly wouldn't be a good start if the Imperator would march his troops back to the capital to slaughter the Senate. Do what you will to him, but do so discretely!

- Vulpis Aureolis, Legate of the Reserve Legion

Senator Ostarian, the law in question does not provide for the enslavement of the Urollans, as any cursory reading of the text shall show. It is in fact an alternative to calls for the Urollans to be enslaved, and if it is not passed, then slavery is the very likely outcome. Enlistment in our legions is not slavery; it is an honour and a privilege. Do you accuse the men who march to our victory over Ossen as being slaves, Senator? They are free men and citizens, much as the Urollans shall become once they have been accepted into our society. You assert that we should seize the middle ground between blind hatred and mindless acceptance. This law does exactly that, yet you dismiss it.

As a reminder, here is the text of the law:

Law in Regards to the Annexation of the Urollan Provinces (Lex Caprica et Aureolia)

ANNEX I

GOVERNMENT

1. The Urollan provinces shall be annexed to the Republic of Azlanxo.
2. Ossen shall become an autonomous province within the commonwealth of the Republic.
3. The Republic shall commission the office of Praetor for Ossen:
(a) to oversee the domestic affairs of the province;
(b) to uphold order and the rule of law;
(c) to regulate its finances.
4. The office of Praetor shall abide by these stipulations:
(a) that it shall be appointed by the Imperator;
(b) that its holder shall serve a four-year term;
(d) that an incumbent serving a second term must be reappointed by the Imperator;
(c) that no incumbent may serve more than two consecutive terms.
5. The Praetor may be recalled by vote of the Senate:
(a) if evidence is presented of malfeasance, kleptocracy, or treason.

ANNEX II

POPULATION

1. Every Urollan who accepts the law of the Republic shall be granted protection under it:
(a) they shall have the right to appeal to the law for redress.
2. Every able-bodied Urollan male, between and including the ages of fourteen and thirty-five, excepting those who are married, shall be impressed into the legions:
(a) to ease their assimilation into our society;
(b) to replenish our losses in the conquest of Ossen;
(c) to provide for a standing army for the Republic.
3. Following ten years of service, Urollan conscripts shall be offered discharge with full rights of citizenship:
(a) the right to stand for public office;
(b) the right to vote at assembly;
(c) the right to petition and legislate for the Republic.

ANNEX III

COLONISATION

1. Any citizen of the Republic shall have the right to settle in Ossen.
2. The office of Praetor for Ossen shall allocate for the distribution of land for settlers.
3. Financial incentives shall be provided:
(a) to encourage migration to Ossen;
(b) to promote trade and exchange;
(c) to foster the provincial economy.
4. Veterans of the Urollan campaign, having been discharged from service, shall be settled in Ossen.

This law was formulated as a bipartisan effort, with due consultation and cooperation with the Senate. Let it now be passed in a similar fashion.

- Caesennia Caprica

I vote Yes on that bill

Though I would suggest a modification. Forcing every able-bodied male would perhaps create some resentment and damage the economy of the Urollan zones, It would be best to force each Urollan community to enlist X number of males into our legions depending on the size of the said community.

I believe in the unalienable right of the populace to elect their ruler. It is for this reason that I feel compelled to vote against the proposed bill, which neither extends the franchise to the Urollans nor provides for the election of the Praetor of Ossen. Futhermore, I am inclined to agree with Senator Voralius, that the enlistment of all males is dangerous socially and economically. How are we to properly integrate these areas if we are intent on destroying the lives of the inhabitants. For these two reasons, I vote no regarding the Lex Caprica et Aureolia.

Last edited:
A horsemen from Vulpis' camp arrives, carrying letters from the good general.

On the bill presently being voted on, I vote yes and encourage my fellow Senators to do the same. On the bill about to come up, I do not support term limits, but support a two thirds vote of confidence to be called as proposed in the proposal.

Another letter was passed on to Solangus...

Senator Solangus, be more cautious in your attacks against the Imperator; I am doing my best to keep the rumours of deposition or other such actions from his camp, but not because I support your means. This campaign must go smoothly, and it certainly wouldn't be a good start if the Imperator would march his troops back to the capital to slaughter the Senate. Do what you will to him, but do so discretely!

- Vulpis Aureolis, Legate of the Reserve Legion
(( I don't think anyone not involved in the planning of the assassination knows anything about it, other than rumors.))

((I'm going on the basis that the Imperator could be crazy enough to act on rumours; combined with his disdain for the Mercators, anything could be possible))

((I'm going on the basis that the Imperator could be crazy enough to act on rumours; combined with his disdain for the Mercators, anything could be possible))
((Alright then, oh Mr. capitalist when can we expect the first game update? I don't mean to rush you just curious.))

((When I can play longer than two or three seconds without CTD. I have literally no time to work on it.))
((Alright, that's cool, don't feel rushed))
-Letter
I write to you shortly after my meeting with the leaders of Eurpaxo, I have received word of the two bills currently being voted upon in our congress and I will let my voice be known. I have some scruples with the Lex Caprica et Aureolia I still think conscription will only lead to strife and tension between our peoples but the good far out-weighs the bad. So I vote Yes. For the second law I have many qualms with, who are these elitists to decide how many terms the Imperatar, the vassal of the peoples will, the man who speeks the Vox Populi. Only the people should decide how many terms he should serve not these restrictive buerocrats. On another note I think the original standard of 90 percent necessary to impeach. The removale of an Imperatar should not occur if his policies are dislikes by the Senate, or some conniving politicians form an alliance against him, it should only be under the gravest of circumstances when a true tyrant has become the Chief Magistrate for our republic, to remove our leader makes us look weak in the eyes of the other Atlanteans, as well as weakening the moral fabric of the republic. Not to mention how horrible this would be in a time of crisis or war, such a shake-up would be highly costly. Thus I oppose the second bill in its entirerty and would not vote for t unless it goes some serious revisions.

((Thanks guys for bringing the RP home. It is good for when nothing game-side works. The CTD has something to do with conquering Horde provinces so... we were winning...))

((Wait since Graetius is going to die, do the populares need to hold new elections for party leadership, I imagine Auron will become the new Primercius but for Dimercius would we need to hold a vote? ))

((Since Auron has pretty much kicked him out of the party, they could call that to vote as well (Keep Graetius YES/NO along with the leadership vote))

Status
Not open for further replies.