• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Capiatlist

Mademoiselle Gothique (she/her/hers)
88 Badges
Dec 4, 2003
nhkendall.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
Rebirth of the Forgotten Continent
An Atlantean Republic Revival AAR

This is my second attempt at an interactive AAR and the first to be based on a single country with voting and the such. Following this post, which will function mostly as a table of contents. This is being played with AEIOU, a MEIOU mod of my own work that added Atlantis to the map. More on the history will be provided in a later post. Rules and mechanics will be covered in their own posts as well.

At all times it is important to follow the rules. It will be very hard to get away with much here because I am a moderator and I do moderate my own threads. ;) This will be covered again but I am going to state it nice and clear: there will be no public discussion of the rules once the game is underway, there will be no public discussion of the game's mechanics once the game is underway. There are better places to discuss mechanics and the rules will not change mid-game. Period.

Also note that this draws heavily from Pathfinder and the Azlanti. It was a source book near by, so that is how I came up with names. There is no need to follow this exactly, but I am fairly certain there isn't an Atlantean named "John Smith". Just saying.

The state I have chosen to have us play is Azlanxo or "Little Atlantis". Azlanxo controls the city of Atlantis and has recently over-thrown an age-old oligarchy that had choked the city for millennia. We will pick up Atlantis' story 10 January, 1356 (the MEIOU start date). Hopefully we will be able to lead Atlantis to glory and domination and even into the industrial age (MEIOU ends around 1856).

Table of Contents

Rules, Guides and Background
Rules
Religion
Characters
Culture and Set-up
History (Pre-1356)

Elections
1356 Election : Populares 7, Mercators 5, Optimates 1 - No Coalition was formed
1360 Snap-Election: Unio Libertatis 5, Populares 2, Abstain 1 - Coalition to be decided

Updates
Vox Pop 1
1360 - Half-Term Update

Extras

Political Parties
The Mercators
Active: 1356 - Present
Imperatar: N/A

The Populares
Active: 1356 - Present
Imperatar: 1356 - 1360

The Optimates
Active 1356 - 1360
Imperatar: N/A

Unio Libertatis
Active 1360 - Present
Imperatar: 1360 -

Last edited:
General Rules:
*Stay in character if you have one
*Stay on topic no matter what
*If you cannot reach someone via PM, use their profile wall to inform them of this
*Avoid swearing if at all possible
*Try to limit personal attacks between characters as to avoid the next rule:
*No personal attacks or insults between players
*NO SPAMMING

Voting Rules:
*Votes will last one week (though the exact hour it will start/end is up to my schedule).
*Players should post their ballot and bold their response, though are free to give in-character rationals as well.

Election Rules/Mechanics:
Since this is EU3, we'll need rulers. Rulers get their stats through their campaign. Elections last two weeks, one week to vote and one week to try to form a government (if necessary). This will determine their stats. Characters must be at least 35 to run for Imperatar.

From the thread in the main AAR board:
The country I have chosen is a republic, so players would get to vote which seems to be the hallmark and helps move the game along. They would vote for a president/prime minster sort of figure who would be in charge of actually telling me how to play the game. A candidate would require at least 33% of the vote to actually win. They would have 27*% points to spend on stats rounded down. What this means is if they barely win with 33% their ruler would have 9 points for stats or would be a 3-3-3 ruler. I feel this better reflects government unity. Doesn't matter how good your are if the congress isn't helping you or even hindering you. Now, to make sure that not every ruler is a 3-3-3 the ruler can form coalitions. So there is one week for the vote, then one week for forming the government. To ensure that the pattern isn't vote, then everyone support him in the forming period and ensure yet another 9-9-9 ruler, the ruler only gets half the percent from government.

For example. Person A runs and wins 50% of the votes. After forming his government his vote is up to 80% he would get (50+(80-50)*.5)% or 75% of 27 to spend on points, which is 20. He can choose how to spend them. He could make a 9-8-3 ruler, or a 6-8-6 or a 7-7-6, doesn't matter.

When they form the government they will also have to pick three people to be the great men of the court. If it was their first time being picked, those people would have to pick an adviser type. If they've already served on the court they have to use what they were last time. The ruler can pick any three people, but they must agree to it. This might also be helpful in forming coalitions.
If someone is re-elected they do not get to have the same result, and they can re-allocate points. This makes things easier on me but also can represent the government becoming more or less efficient or changing their focus. However; you cannot change the stats mid term. An "Imperatar" (Atlantean for "Leader") leads for eight years. You need at least 33% to win. If no one has 33% or more, the top two will have a run off. To simplify things, only five people can run at once. If necessary, we can add primaries if "factions" appear. I am heavily drawing off BBB's Presidents for these sorts of rules.

If a party controls less than 50% of the votes, they must attempt to form a coalition. They don't need to be successful, but they have to try. If a party has more than 50% of the votes, they can attempt to form a coalition if they want to, but they can chose not to and just except the results of the government.

When voting for Imperatar, clearly post the character's name and bold it. Such as:
Imperia Baradin

If you change your mind, clearly state:
Unvote: Imperia Baradin
Alamander Thrune

What ever your last ballot says counts, even if you change your mind after the vote.

If you get elected I will contact you for your choices in "great men" as well as the policy you wish to promote during your term. I will eventually ask you to update this as things progress. Each term will hopefully have three updates: the first will cover the election and early days. A second the midterm and a third for the closing days into the new election. How long it will take me to play the eight years depends on what we are doing and what events pop up. Events like "a comet sighted!" will not go to vote, nor will ones with clear "right" answers, such as the capital unrest in MEIOU that resets religious minorities. I will bring events up to the Imperatar first, and they can decide whether to act on it, discuss with their great men, or bring it to congress. If it is very important or if I believe there is no way it can be hidden from the populace, it will be brought before congress immediately. So a scandal will go straight to congress because it is a scandal... if you had a chance to hide it it wouldn't have been a scandal. Unfortunately it is just the luck of the draw with those sorts of events.

Missions will represent a sort of "vox populi", basically what the people are seeking to accomplish. You can follow their desires or ignore them.

An Imperatar can also be elected enBexe or "For Life" in Atlantean. An enBexe Imperatar is, in fact, a monarch and this will switch the government type. However; it does not get rid of the congress. Only congress can elect an enBexe Imperatar and only congress can decide what powers (if any) they get. If for any reason congress is disbanded the AAR will end (I don't want to deal with a two-sided civil war, though a one-sided one is possible). So don't disband congress. At least leave a rump congress.

Last edited:
On Gods
Atlantean Cosmology and Beliefs

The average Atlantean is a very devout being. Their cosmology is centered on Atlantis and assumes Atlantis is not just the center of the world, but of the Universe. In recent centuries it has become obvious from the most learned priest to the dimmest street urchin that Atlantis is not the center, but it does not stop them from assuming a place of importance in their own minds and laws. Atlanteans believe in all the Gods, though some will hold a particular deity dear. Monks almost always have a patron deity. It is rare, though not unheard of, to find a monk or priest of multiple gods or of the cosmology as a whole. Small villages will often have a single temple and almost all people there will worship a particular deity over the others.

With this idea of the "center" of all things, the Atlantean cosmology is divided into directions and each direction has a sort of emotion or system tied to it. The North controls all that is good; the South is all that is bad; the West is all that is uniform and the East is all that is chaotic. It is strange that the forces seem to oppose the very forces they represent. Iceburgs come from the North, hurricanes from the West. It as the ancient Atlanteans who believed that these forces were pulled to the side that brought them about. Therefore the North was not responsible for the dangerous ice floes, it was the South etc. At the center of the compass rose was Atlantis itself and there lived the chosen people.

Like many ancient and polytheistic religions, the Atlanteans believe in a hierarchy of Gods. In this case they are associated with a principle direction. In general terms there is a King, his four advisors and the four courtiers. "The King" in this case is more likely called "The Ruler". It is never defined as male or female, rather is just the principal leader of the other gods, all of which have readily defined genders. Also unlike the other gods, "The Ruler" (in Atlantean: Ithuri) has no direction though is sometimes the direction is given as "up". It represents balance and no extreme: neither good nor evil, chaotic or lawful. It is symbolized mostly through pyramids and triangles. Often it is shown as a pyramid with a single, symmetric eye over its peak. There are very few temples or priests to Ithuri because it is believe Atlantis itself is the temple and the people the priests.

In the East are the "Chaotic Ones". These are represented by the so-called Advisor Deznon has his twin daughters Lura and Randa. Deznon is often called the "Navigator" and represents the Sea and the fickle winds. He is often portrayed as a salty sea captain who sails into danger and comes out unscathed. Lura is the Goddess of the Moon, also known as "Moth-Borne". The twin daughters are often associated with insects and represent the two faces of giving into your wildest desires and dreams. Lura is the Lover, representing nights spent in the embrace of others. On the other end is the "Great Mantis", Randa. Randa is the psychopath and the liar. She is the Goddess of thieves and murderers. Surprisingly she is also the Goddess of Ports, but many are quick to point out that Atlantean ports are notoriously dangerous.

In the West are the "Judges", lead by Advisor Baltor. Baltor is the leader of the Judges and is often referred to as simple "the Judge". He represents inevitability and time, symbolized by both the mountain and the grain of sand. It is not uncommon for the main courtyard of a temple to Baltor to have a mound of sand on a sacred table. Monks will watch the sand be blown away and contemplate the futility of all things in the face of time. Baltor's two sons are Tordem and Ozur. Tordem is often called "Paladin" and is the patron deity of Knights. Tordem is also the God of the Sun and the lover of Lura (the Moon). Priests of Tordem are also soldiers and crusaders; always willing to defend the weak from the strong. On the other hand is Ozur, the Tyrant. Ozur represents strict rule, castles, and soldiers and is usually symbolized by a locked gate or a barred door. Despite being betrothed to Randa the two cannot get along or trust one another, so instead they are enemies of sorts.

Lastly are the North and the South: good and evil themselves. Ara is the Goddess of the North and Nohar the Goddess of the South. Of all the gods these two are the most revered, though sometimes rarely worshipped. This is because they represent very abstract thoughts. Good and Evil are not easily understood and two worshippers of Ara might want two opposing things so badly as to come into conflict. Ara is represented with trees and glades. Her form is often either a beam of light through tree tops or of a slender and long-eared forest witch. She is often called "Elven-Blood" and it was once thought that a race of humanoids lived in the forests and worshipped her as their mother. Nohar on the other hand represents pure evil and in the sense as the example above, two worshippers of Nohar will accuse the other of being a worshipper of Ara. Nohar's main temple, far in the south of Atlantis, opens its doors only when the continent is at war. Widows of soldiers are often tasked with trekking to this temple to pray to Nohar to lead their husbands safely to the other side.

Unlike the ancient Greeks, Atlanteans do not believe in a celestial capital. Each God or Goddess rules as they see fit from their own domains. Between the domains are heaven, hell and the world. The paths to heaven and hell are identical except for a single fork. At this fork stands a lonely guard. When a soul approaches he will bar one path from being traveled. It is said that this guard is a form of Baltor and shows final judgment. A particularly devout soul will go to the domain of their patron deity. The exception to this is soldiers, for all those who die on the battlefield are taken to the realm of Nohar. There she trains the armies of the Gods to defend the universe from external threat.

On Characters

Anyone can create a character at any time. Characters should have a name, background, political leanings maybe a job or business they wish to protect or a guild that they want to represent. Characters will also have a culture (outlined in the next post) and might have a patron deity (overview in the previous post). Characters must have a culture, but do not necessarily have to have a patron deity. It will be assumed then that your character worships the pantheon as a whole with no particular religious leanings. Most Atlanteans are of this category and the majority of the Atlantean countries do not have state deities. There are a few exceptions though. We will deal with other religions later, I am thinking of adding some flavored events about minorities and traders from the mainland.

You posts are always assumed to be in character unless in ((double parenthesis)). Out of character chatter is prohibited but you are free to ask questions if you are lost or confused. For example, if you would like me to post the current standings in an election you might post ((What are the current standings?)) and I will try to provide you with them. You can also use this to ask for time frames such as updates, but I ask that you avoid doing this as much as possible. I tend to be very busy with work and home and stuff and though I enjoy writing, it often is not my top priority.

Characters can be both male or female. Atlanteans do not have the same prejudices about women that many other groups have.

Some example names;
Male Names
Southern:
Code:
Aerodus
Alexite
Gellius
Gratshius
Gruckalus
Lurkonarr
Manius
Marxellano
Morvius
Pavo
Pellius
Petronisus
Rutolus
Solangus
Ursion
Northern:
Code:
Akorian
Alamander
Ariotsh
Ellismus
Erodel
Illsmus
Iogorian
Ixiolander
Olhas
Ostarian
Othollo
Udhomar
Ureste

Female Names
Southern:
Code:
Asmodia
Asperxia
Aula
Boudra
Tshammady
Drulia
Imperia
Ileosa
Korva
Noravia
Novennia
Pavanna
Pontia
Kuinta
Rulla
Valeria
Vibia
Northern:
Code:
Aliandara
Amesduxias
Aswaithe
Emailiandra
Estrude
Iaome
Iomestria
Ommarra
Oviento
Udarrin
Ulionestria

Family Names:
Code:
Alazario Albus Ambusta Baradin Tsharthagion Krispin Drovenge Fullona Galonnika Jeggare Krupt Leroung Pindlelorik Ratarion Rugatonn Tauranor Thrune Voralius Wardoxan Wintrish

This list of names is representative of general names used by Atlanteans, but is in no one all the names. Feel free to make up a name you feel sounds or looks suitably Atlantean.

Characters can be any "adult" age when they start, though remember that "age" tends to translate into respect. So try no to just make 18 year olds to last longer. You can decide how long a character will live with the exception of "sudden deaths" which might happen to characters in employ, rulers, or commanders. I am not in control of these. Atlanteans have similar (though maybe slightly longer 70-80ish) year life spans. Remember that you must be 35 to run for office.

You should, if you can, include an advisor type so that you can be picked as a great man of congress. If you don't that is fine, but you should stick to one that fits your background.

Here is an example character:
Imperia Baradin
Female, 42
Culture: Norran
Patron deity: Nohar
From Azlant

Imperia's parents moved to Azlant as part of a business deal arranged by her uncle. She was born soon after their move north. Southerners in Azlant tend to stick out a bit, but the attention did not bother Imperia who thrived as a self-sufficient Atlantean in a bloated and rich city.

Political leanings: hawkish and slightly un-democratic. Tends to favor the merchant guilds over the masses.

Last edited:
On the Set Up

For this AAR I am working on a mini-mod that is supposed to be played alongside MEIOU. It is using a slightly older map, but should function normally... I hope. You can track the changes and work with the mod over here. The mod isn't quite finished yet, but it is close to being playable. I will start this AAR as soon as I get the beta version up and running. Hopefully sometime this week.

Here are the provs:

LandProvs.png

Code:
#	Name	Culture	Religion
PROV2660	Azlanto	Cosmopolitan	Poly
PROV2661	Tirosea	Cosmopolitan	Deznon
PROV2662	Amaea	Arran	Poly
PROV2663	Tyrilona	Arran	Poly
PROV2664	Etrivus	Arran	Poly
PROV2665	Lauribya	Eurpan	Poly
PROV2666	Utini	Arran	Ara
PROV2667	Norra	Norran	Nohar
PROV2668	Ethis	Arran	Poly
PROV2669	Timannas	Arran	Poly
PROV2670	Norantika	Ollan	Poly
PROV2671	Escorkaea	Ollan	Poly
PROV2672	Bythenniux	Ollan	Poly
PROV2673	Ordika	Urollan	Poly
PROV2674	Urium	Ollan	Randa
PROV2675	Anorkand	Urollan	Poly
PROV2676	Damymnene	Urollan	Poly
PROV2677	Eskanis	Eurpan	Poly
PROV2678	Merkesea	Eurpan	Poly
PROV2679	Senxasea	Eurpan	Poly
PROV2680	Ormul	Norran	Deznon
PROV2681	Olini	Eurpan	Poly
PROV2682	Merkibul	Norran	Poly
PROV2683	Tesianius	Norran	Poly
PROV2684	Afrea	Norran	Poly
PROV2685	Eskixa	Norran	Poly
PROV2686	Asemnon	Eurpan	Poly
PROV2687	Sylvymnona	Eurpan	Poly
PROV2688	Aranxo	Cosmopolitan	Poly
PROV2689	Koruarus	Norran	Poly
PROV2690	Tshinyron	Cosmopolitan	Randa
PROV2691	Arra	Arran	Ara
PROV2692	Eskavion	Arran	Poly
PROV2693	Eria	Cosmopolitan	Poly
PROV2694	Olmaia	Urollan	Poly
PROV2695	Brundyka	Eurpan	Poly

Sorry for the mess, it is getting sort of late here.

The countries are:
Countries-2.png

Code:
Tag   Country     Gov    Rel.   Culture Notes      Symbol              Capital
AZL	Azlant	N/A	N/A	N/A	Union tag	Basque Cross	N/A
AZM	Azlanxo	Atl. Republic	Poly	Cosmo		Two Dolphins	2660
ARX	Arixandos	Atl. Republic	Ara	Arran		Oak Tree	2691
BOR	Borxison	Atl. Empire	Ara	Arran		Oak Tree w/ Crown	2669
ILN	Ilunleher	Atl. Empire	Nohar	Norran		Pine on Green	2667
OSS	Osson	Atl. Badland	Poly	Urollan		Wolf on Black	2676
HER	Heras	Atl. Badland	Poly	Urollan		Boar on Red	2675
KOZ	Korizembe	Atl. Merchant	Poly	Cosmo		Mermaid	2690
OLL	Ollan	Atl. Republic	Poly	Ollan		Green on Blue	2672
ERX	Eurpaxo	Atl. Merchant	Poly	Eurpan		Eagle on Blue	2679
EUR	Eurpan	Atl. Empire	Poly	Eurpan		Blue over Black and Red	2686

It is important to vote that Osson and Heras are nomadic states, so Azlanxo starts off at war with one of the them. ;) Not that I am afraid or anything. Azlanxo starts off with 7,000 soldiers and 3,000 cavalry as well as 18 ships of various kinds. We also have a CoT, so we are in a very good position.

And cultures by province:
Cultures.png

Azlanti is a sort of cosmopolitan group made up of "pure" Atlanteans and people from the surrounding environs.
Eurpans are the crafty merchants and hardy eastern folk.
Arrans are the woodsy peoples of the north.
Ollans are the sailors and fishermen of Atlantis, living in the scarred remains on the continent's edge.
Urollans are the main-land Ollans who ahve mostly put down their nets and poles and taken to raiding the more civilized states.
Norrans are the war-like and other-wise bland southerners. They are not trusted in the north, though respected by the related Eurpans.

I am hoping to have this cleaned up soonish. Hopefully tomorrow, but I want to open things up for the first round of characters and voting.

On History

Atlantis stood shrouded in storms and clouds until 1296 CE. A wall of wind and water divided it from the world it once sought to dominate. Atlantis was not the sort of Empire like the Roman Empire: one land ruled by an Emperor and his military. Instead, Atlantis was ruled by its Congress, centered in the city of Atlantis, and its will was enforced by the might of its navy. At its peak around 9600 BCE, Atlantis was the most advanced civilization in the world: mostly in part to the expansion of technology in order to improve the fleet.

Empire.png

Atlantis at its peak, circa 9600 BCE

Outside of the continent, Atlantis had several colonies, which did not share the same rights as states on the continent but enjoyed extra rights and autonomy. The most permanent of these was Aquitainia. There many settlers found a new world to use as they saw fit. The descendants of these Atlanteans still exist: the Basques. Despite the huge gap in technology, nothing prepared the Atlanteans for the greatest disaster ever to befall civilization. A series of storms wildfires which culminated in the eruption of the great volcano of Atlantis (today the rim of which is visible as the large island in the center of the Sea of Atlantis. This eruption destroyed most of the continent and forced Atlantis to its knees. Civilization spiraled inward. Soon the wars started. Cities fought for control over Atlantis while the congress tried its best to hold things together. Eventually the great warrior Iomardi, founder of the House of Iomard, forced the majority of Atlantean states to bow to the rule of Nohar. Atlantis was no longer the power center for the continent.

By the the year 100 CE, several Empires had come and gone, all following in the footsteps of Iomardi. Atlantis was eventually able to take back some of its prestige. But it had formed a great rivalry with the southern states. It became a division between expansionism and isolationism. It was hard for the northern states to avoid the questions being asked by the south. Why deal with democracy when a emperor makes everything much easier. Why deal with diplomacy when it is so much easier to conquer. Even the usually united states in the great pine forest in the north fell to the squabbles of democracy vs empire.

Azlanxo, the heir of Atlantis, barely hung on when Toxom the Great came to power in 1313 CE. He was the scion of the House of Hoa, who had ruled the city since 1032 CE. A learned man and a great military commander, he brought honor back to the city and put fear back into the hearts of Azlanxo's enemies. It was under his guidance that the great house of congress was rebuilt and it was his will that when he died that the monarchy be abolished and that democracy once again return to the great city. Since his death in 1353 congress has slowly rebuilt itself under the leadership of regent. They prepared to one day elect a great leader, the first democratically elected ruler of Atlantis since Iomardi took the throne. And while congress rebuilt, the storms subsided. The signs seemed right, it was time to elect a ruler.

=====

We are playing as Azlanxo, heir to Atlantis, and quiet possibly the Atlantean nation bets prepared to re-unite the continent. It maintains good relations with the near-by republics of Korizembe, Arixandos and Eurpanxo which recently declared its independence from Eurpan. Its rivals are Ilunleher (its historical southern rival) and Eurpan. It is currently facing raids from Osson, one of the two warband states in the south west.

The sliders:
2 notches to decentralization
1 notch to plutocracy
No preference to serfdom or free men
1 notch to narrow-minded
3 notches to mercantile
3 notches to defensive
3 notches to naval
1 notch to quality
No preference to isolationism or expansionism
2 notches toward secularism

Last edited:
Alexite Wardoxan
Male, 39
Culture: Azlanti
Religious Affiliation/Patron Deity: N/A
Representing: The Wardoxan Trade Guild

Alexite was born to a new-money family, the Wardoxan’s of Azlanto. Ambitious and thirsting for power, the Wardoxan’s had made their fortune in the rebellion again the previous oligarchy by backing the right side - It payed off with bountiful opportunities for the previously unnotable merchant family.

By 1356 they are powerful enough to have acquired a seat in the senate, and placed the heir to the family fortune on that seat. The fortune of this family now relies on how much power Alexite can grab for himself in the senate, on behalf of the guild.

Last edited:
Auron Desimodius
Male, 40
Patron deity: Ozur
History: Auron was born to a relatively wealthy family in Atlantis City, his mother a Eurpan merchant, whilst his father was a Norran soldier. His father was killed in fighting when he was only five, and thus he was left without a father figure during his childhood. His mother was left heart-broken, and died when he was nine, leaving him to fend for himself. He ended up getting into many troubles during his youth, before turning to a life of military at the age of nineteen. He was a soldier for many years, and fought during the overthrowing of the oligarchy on the side of those rising up, and he played an instrumental part in the overthrowing of the oligarchy, defeating several groups of loyal oligarchists who would not back down peacefully, leading to some regarding him as a war hero. Soon after this newly found freedom, he left the army, and because of the views people had of him, he was quickly offered a seat on the senate, which he accepted as he seeked a political role. Though no longer a part of the army, he still had very strong leanings towards it, and was open to a role with the military if required.
Political leanings: Extremely hawkish and democratic. Favours the people above all else, but has a leaning towards the military.
Advisor type: Army Organizer

((I hope everything is alright. Please let me know if I need to adjust anything))

Last edited:
Name: Pavo Tsharthagion.

Date of Birth: 13th December 1320 (aged 36).
Place of Birth: Ethis, Azlenxo.

Height: 5ft 7in.
Weight: 86kg.
Physical Description: I'll save a few paragraphs here.
Ethnic Origin: Eurpan.

Parent’s Names & Background:
Aerodus Voralius is Pavo's errant father. Formerly a wealthy landowner after his merchant great-grandfather married into nobility, his younger brother Morvius stole his title during a bout of psychosis six years ago. Now tolerated as an indefinite lodger in Pavo's townhouse having recovered from alcoholism. He is lackadaisical and apparently unstable, but cold towards his loving son.
Aula Voralius was Pavo's mother, devoted to her children despite the constant care of wet-nurses. "Accidentally killed" by a drunken Aerodus during the couple's homeless phase, two days before Pavo offered - and immediately reclined - lodging five years ago.​
Family Members:
Solangus Voralius is Pavo's elder brother, a serving soldier and occasional carpenter. Extremely stoic and chivalrous, though dismissive of his brother's 'cynical business'.
Marxellano Voralius is Pavo's half-brother, a toddler born to Aerodus during a 2-year spell of 'not seeing blindfolds'. Quietly potters about Pavo's villa, chased by wet-nurses. As a family shame, both Illsmus (Pavo's brother) and Pavo ignore Marxellano whilst Aerodus lives for him.​
Friends Names & Background:
Illsmus Thrune is a flamboyant noble playboy whom Pavo meets regularly to 'drink to Calvius [their late, murdered mutual friend] and fuck with whores'. Casual, loose friendship.
Othollo Baradin is Pavo's apprentice, a hardworking 17-year-old made homeless during the revolution. Shy Othollo admires Pavo's social dexterity, and constantly tries and fails to imitate him. As a labour of love, Pavo halfheartedly lets Othollo accompany him to parties to his own embarrassment.
Lurkonarr Tsharthagion is a veteran 56-year-old grain merchant, a pompous and aristocratic figure whom Pavo quietly stole his surname after his father shamed the Voralius family with Marxellano's birth. Pavo secretly despises him, though has been manipulated by Lurkonarr into believing a friendship could rekindle other old contacts: in fact, alcoholic Lurkonarr just wants a constant source of cheap wine.​

Social Class: Merchant bourgeoisie.
Education: Privately tutored in the liberal arts, sciences and religion.
Occupation: Renowned merchant, dealing in Urollan slaves and wine.
Community Status: Well-respected for his fair business: Pavo has never overcharged, and always refunds on damaged goods.
Skills: Powerful social skills: decent carpenter and mathematician as well.

Political Beliefs: Pavo is generally apathetic about politics, though the Azlanxo revolution has spurred an uncharacteristic fervour for public affairs. He dreams of a Merchants' Republic, which he hopes to realise through the new Senate, though is content with governmental support of commercial endeavours and expansion of urban ports and markets. He argues the Urollans are inferior beings - "brutes and beasts" - and demands their total enslavement, though this belief is solely economically-motivated: privately, he is devoid of such notions. Pavo is a man of interests rather than beliefs.
Religious Beliefs: Pavo is somewhat irreligious, though publicly proclaims the typical stance of pan-cosmological worship.

Hobbies/Entertainment: Pavo enjoys satirical theatre and flute music.
Strengths: Pavo's rational charisma is a potent force, as is his strong sense of honour.
Weaknesses: No trusting relationships and, after Calvius' murder by bandits, paranoid.
Ambitions: A Merchants' Republic or heading a merchants' guild.
Fears/Phobias: Terrified of ghosts, who he is convinced watch him 'just to scare', and his lack of friends and confidants.
Type of Humour: Satirical and dark humour.
General Health: Good; pale skin indicates inadequate vegetable consumption, being a renowned carnivore-because-he-can.
Distinguishing Marks: Arrogant walk.
Disabilities: None.
Cultural Tastes: Pavo likes sophistication, his villa adorned in pastel colours. Satires of business and coming-of-age comedies satisfy him, as does rhythmic flute music. Deeply interested in calligraphy.

Everything looks good. Anjwalker, just remember the game starts 1356 so hopefully you've become a senator before 1835. ;)

Also if it wasn't clear, Elections will start next Monday. Characters feel free to begin interacting whenever.

Please tell me you are going to create an "Atlantian" language, that would be the number one reason I would follow this AAR.
If you do are you going to put in language lessons like homelands?

Ursion Ratarion
Male, 45
Patron Deity: None.

Born into a family of land owners and humble merchants, Ursion had a promising and dull life ahead of him. In order to change his fate that little bit, he joined the local armies, and being an able and rather ruthless fighter he quickly rose up in the ranks. He fought, looted, pillaged, gathered wounds and scars, and soon found himself too tired and old to fight anymore. With the gold he'd stolen or coaxed out of innocent citizens he bought himself a handsome manse and some peace near the town he was born in. He currently lives off the multiple plantations he'd inherited from his father and the few mills his wealth had bought him.

Political leanings: A man who would sort out a feud with swords rather than words and treaties, but who will also support the merchants so that his personal wealth is not threatened. The well being of the lowborn is not his biggest concern.

Personal hobbies: Wenches, drinking and jousting.

Please tell me you are going to create an "Atlantian" language, that would be the number one reason I would follow this AAR.
If you do are you going to put in language lessons like homelands?
Probably not to the same extent, but I do have a few things going. Atlantean is actually based on real languages and it'll become more apparently when I get the history post up later tonight.

On what languages is it based If I may ask? Will it be based on the indigenous languages of North America, Semetic languages or just a mix of some european languages?

On what languages is it based If I may ask? Will it be based on the indigenous languages of North America, Semetic languages or just a mix of some european languages?
Ancient Aquitainian, a relative of Modern Basque.

Remember that list of names is just examples, feel free to use them but don't feel you have to use them. I know that there are especially few last names.

Rutolus Voralius
Male, 47
Culture: Urollan
Religious Affiliation/Patron Deity: N/A
Born in: Heras

Rutolus Voralius was born into a life of raiding and luxury. Since the age of seven he was trained to move quickly be it on foot or by horse, to strike where not expected, and then disappear after. On one of these raids in Norran lands he had the great misfortune of being struck from his horse unconcious. Awaking he learned that he was now a slave at the age of eleven and would probably die within the year if he was not sold to the right person. To his great fortune he was sold to the commander of the southern militia, the same militia that had seen him be captured.

Over the next twenty years he did his duties and his slaver taught him the way of battle and command, movement and supplies, how to be a true warrior of Atlantis. For twenty years he learned and at last on the man's death bed he freed Rutolus who could have easily returned to Heras and taught what he knew to the people there and gain much power. Instead he learned that the way of his people were wrong. He could not get himself to join them and instead joined the southern militia that very same day.

Sixteen years have passed since his freedom was gained and he became a true soldier. During that time he fought off raids, rose in rank and commanded men. He now held the very same position that his master had commanded when he was enslaved. He needed more though. He wanted to see how far a one time slave could rise. Could he rule? Would the other men of Atlantis even allow him a seat in their lands? Fighting is one thing, but ruling is another. Only time would tell.

(( The limit of being 35 to run for office only applies to running for imperatar, right? If my character was, say, 22, they would still have a voice in the congress? Do we assume that all characters are members of the congress? ))
Correct, all characters are members of congress. And the limit applies to Imperatar only.

Status
Not open for further replies.