• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Das123

First Lieutenant
14 Badges
Dec 15, 2003
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
Warlock is a very enjoyable game but there are a few things it desperately needs:

1. Unit Ledger. You should be able to get a list of all your units to see the drain on resources, the status (sentry etc) and when hovering in the ledger it should highlight on the minimap. Clicking the unit should close the ledger and take you to the unit.

2. City Ledger. Like a unit ledger, there should be a summary of resources etc as well as info on improvements.

3. Turn summary. There should be a ledger-style display of battles etc that occurred during the turn.

4. City Governor. You should be able to give cities a focus (Gold, Food, Mana, Melee, Missile, etc). At the turn it should still prompt that you can over-ride these cities but it will mean that the late-game city spam management will be controllable.

5. Incentives to not spam cities. Perhaps have a 4 hex limit between cities or have a cost to build Settlers (1000 pop from city was suggested on YouTube).

6. Move the End Turn status box out of the main screen area. This drives you nuts. You try to see what is going on but usually the details are happening under this box.

1. I don't think this is "desperately" needed. I've never wanted it at during the games I've played, actually. IF there was some way to command a unit to sleep until the player activated it, it might be needed. As it is, enemies walking in the field of vision wake up sentry status units, so... it's not really likely you'll forget where a needed unit is. (I play on Large/Huge maps.)

2. It would be nice to have an expanded list of your cities with all of their produce values. I don't know if it is desperately needed, because you can already hover over a resource type (say mana) and the game will show you your top producers and top drainers, as well as a total for army and enchantment upkeep.

3. I don't see this as needed. You already are able to (forced to oh god why!?) see everything that happens in your vision during the end turn cycle. Once the game allows you to disable enemy unit animations or combat display, this could be needed.

4. Again, this would be nice but the importance of improvement placement for roads means this would need to be a toggle option or do more harm than good.

5. A rising disincentive for settler creation would make cities feel more important. But since we can't build roads outside of city-based tile improvements, this could slow down army movement. Additionally- fundamentally, what is wrong with City Spam? Warlock is a faster paced game than Civ with dirt cheap settler units.
Because of the way pop growth slows down in this game, costing 1000 pop is a horrible idea to me. You would never want to make settlers from your large cities (which is odd, logically), and players would have perpetual size 2 cities whose role was to spam settlers the whole game, stockpiling them for future need. Gamey and not fun.

6. I don't understand the issue with this. I'm not saying the UI couldn't be improved, but I've never noticed a problem with the End Screen UI status box thing. Maybe I don't understand what you are describing?

--- My personal wishlist includes more lategame activity (games seem to peter out before I'm ready to give up on my empire: So, a more competitive AI, some dangerous entity from the Portal Worlds [a la the Antarans (sp?) in Master of Orion 2], and more spells per turn. There are many spells I would never cast because they are inferior, long term, to buffs for cities or units. Say currently a mage has 100 spell cast points a turn. Changing the rules so players have 100 spell points for combat spells and 100 points for everything else (summons, buffs, teleports, etc) each turn would be great.

Nice LP, btw!

2. City Ledger. Like a unit ledger, there should be a summary of resources etc as well as info on improvements.

This, i want this since the 1st time i played the demo. You forgot to add info on city enchantments.

--- My personal wishlist includes more lategame activity (games seem to peter out before I'm ready to give up on my empire: So, a more competitive AI, some dangerous entity from the Portal Worlds [a la the Antarans (sp?) in Master of Orion 2], and more spells per turn. There are many spells I would never cast because they are inferior, long term, to buffs for cities or units. Say currently a mage has 100 spell cast points a turn. Changing the rules so players have 100 spell points for combat spells and 100 points for everything else (summons, buffs, teleports, etc) each turn would be great.

I have the same 100% identical wish as yours. I agree that the game lack late game content.

I'd mostly like to have the ability to raze cities. Second mostly :) please put some neat things on the other worlds so we feel a strong need to go there. It would be fun to have an option to play with MOM type heroes, too.

Warlock is a very enjoyable game but there are a few things it desperately needs:

For me, anyway...

#1. Functional AI. Things like AI mages spamming shadow bolts on my UNDEAD armies every single turn shouldn't happen on ANY difficulty, let alone IMPOSSIBLE difficulty.

1. Unit Ledger. You should be able to get a list of all your units to see the drain on resources, the status (sentry etc) and when hovering in the ledger it should highlight on the minimap. Clicking the unit should close the ledger and take you to the unit.

3. Turn summary. There should be a ledger-style display of battles etc that occurred during the turn.

4. City Governor. You should be able to give cities a focus (Gold, Food, Mana, Melee, Missile, etc). At the turn it should still prompt that you can over-ride these cities but it will mean that the late-game city spam management will be controllable.

5. Incentives to not spam cities. Perhaps have a 4 hex limit between cities or have a cost to build Settlers (1000 pop from city was suggested on YouTube).

6. Move the End Turn status box out of the main screen area. This drives you nuts. You try to see what is going on but usually the details are happening under this box.

You hit the nail on the head, man!
except the 4hex limit, which is already in practise. But the settlers are way to cheap. However, I don't like the fact either, that at the end practically every space is city-ground and no "nature" space left. perhaps the buildings (that can be build anyway on every ground type) should be just inside the city-View, not on surrounding tiles. (except tower and castle), and a special unit should build roads

Not in the current game, no. The Devs indicated that they are considering it. They are targeting the end of the month for the next patch.

Prior to capturing a city, there is a Divine Spell (Helia's) that allows you to destroy a non-fort/tower building in an enemy city. Potentially useful to clear a resource like Pumpkins in a Monster city so you could build the Shrine structure. It doesn't work on your own cities, however.

End of game mechanics should be changed somehow. City management becomes unbearable. May be governor with some way to paint the placement of the roads in advance?

The easiest way it to have building queue even if the population is not enough at the moment. This will decrease the amount of city management a lot.

And if developers have time - it should check if the queue is long enough for a city to reach level 5 or 10 and allow placement of buildings outside of the current city borders. Surely, if something happen (i.e. another city takes the tile), the queue should be cleared and ask player what to do.

in lather gameplay you don't need libraries nymore for example.
Well, they are required for wizards/clerics guild (humans).
Can't just delete them and expect to keep those methinks.

You can disable their money drain though by disabling them (sure you know that, but just stating it infact). Doesn't free the slot though...

I'm still a noob in that game
Same here.
But unused research gives mana. So you can switch libraries on and off depending wheter you need mana, or money.
It's a handy feature :)
Use it fast, the ability to disable buildings is likely to be removed in the next patch :)
Why? Because of that exploit I mentioned in the bug forum you think? Or was there any other hintage to this?

Why? Because of that exploit I mentioned in the bug forum you think? Or was there any other hintage to this?

Most of the buildings aren't needed all of the time - unit producers, unit upgrades, forts. Everything except for resource buildings. You could save a lot of resources on disabling them, but that's hell of the micromanagement. And it doesn't work as intended - if building has 10 gold per turn upkeep, it's supposed to drain 10 gold each turn, not 2 times per game.

So, developers seek other methods of dealing with unused buildings. Most likely, it will be ab ability to destroy them with some impact on city growth (up to decreasing the city 1 level).

Most buildings have a very specific upkeep cost, either for units/upgrades or trading x for y. There are few exceptions.

I am sure we could remove it from the first group without affecting the other. Sometimes you just need more gold/mana, and disabling for a few turns does wonders then. No need to demolish it...

am sure we could remove it from the first group without affecting the other. Sometimes you just need more gold/mana, and disabling for a few turns does wonders then. No need to demolish it...

Yes, if players will be able to disable resource buildings only, that would work. However, I doubt there will be much use of it. Who may want to disable, for example Pub (5 food for 1 gold), if excess food is converted to gold 2 to 1?