• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1839-1844​

The next part of Alexanders plan to assure British domination was to re-subjugate the emerald isle. Alexander remembers the last time he went to Ireland, back in 1819- where he served as a commander of English forces during the Irish War of Independence, he was determined to not let the Irish remain free, or as a base for enemy troops.

Well that went well for the liberals! I see this as a triumph for my government.

v2_1.jpg

Excellent news from India, Mughalistan is now part of the British sphere, securing a large portion of world dye production. But also, a valuable ally against Hindustan.

v2_2.jpg

The Prussians have occupied large swathes of Commonwealth land, but resistance still remains

v2_3.jpg

Britannia, over its many conquests, reforming social programs and vast industrial expansion programs has managed to accumulate a massive amount of debt. Taxes will be raised to pay off this debt.

v2_4.jpg

Prussia is victorious on its Eastern front, on the same day of the peace treaty between the Commonwealth and Prussia, the North German Federation is proclaimed in Berlin.

v2_5.jpg

The Northern power Sweden secures a victory against Finland and Russia, a tremendous achievement.

v2_6.jpg

Scotland once again petitions for annexation into Britannia. Lord Protector Alexander happily accepts; the colonies of Panama and Newfoundland are absorbed into the empire but given some autonomy

v2_7.jpg

Map of Britannia after annexation of Scotland

v2_8.jpg

A chart of military powers of the World. Britannia has the largest standing army and largest navy in Europe, however much of its army is spread over North America and Europe.

v2_9.jpg

Another chart showing different types of population in the republic. Britannia has nearly ten times the craftsmen of its nearest rival, France.

v2_10.jpg

The final preparations for the casus belli to puppet Ireland are complete. British newspapers fabricate stories of atrocities against British citizens in Belfast and Londonderry, causing outrage in Britain, with many people demanding military action. The Lord Protector complies.

v2_11.jpg

Irish sir- thousands of them!

v2_12.jpg

The battle is won, but at a terrible cost. Nearly 50,000 soldiers die in the first battle.

v2_13.jpg

The Reformed British Army traps the remaining Irish army in Belfast- the final nail in the coffin for the Irish.

v2_14.jpg

The conclusion of the battle.

v2_15.jpg

Map of North America, 1844.

v2_16.jpg

The war is won! A military parade is held in London, but many men wouldn't return home...

v2_17.jpg

Britannia's rise to glory and triumph is almost complete, like a phoenix rising from the ashes we have regained territory which rightfully belongs to us, but our battle isn't over yet. Not until British troops are marching proudly through the streets of Paris shall I be satisfied that our war has been won- Lord Protector of England, Scotland, the French Territories, Australia, New Zealand, the Thirteen Colonies, the Western Lands and Canada, Alexander Hollingbery. 16th May 1844, Addressing members of his council in Oxford.

Why puppet Ireland instead of restoring order to it?

I like to play realistically, so (in my mind) I think it would be too much to ask to annex all of Ireland. I'll eventually annex Ireland, starting with majority British areas and so on.

Impressive gains and colonial expansion in North America.

Indeed! Britannia's next foray will be into India.

I wasn't expecting the Irish War to be that difficult. When they mobilized, Ireland could muster around 100,000 troops, as much as all my armies in France, so I had to ship troops around like a madman.

1844-1848​

At home, the union of England and Scotland is now solidified. In the West, over the Atlantic Ocean, brave British explorers forge ahead into the wilderness of North America, claiming vast tracts of land in the name of the Republic. To the South, in France, new defenses are installed on the border with France, ready for any new war. To the East in India, a new company- the British East India Company- installs itself in India, creating new treaties and deals with local leaders, securing valuable trade goods for Britannia's vast industrial empire.

Yet another War erupts between Prussia (by extension the North German Federation) and France. The North German Federation attempts to reclaim Elsass and Lothringen from France. Naturally, Britannia sends aid to the Germans.

v2_1.jpg

The Northern Alliance, a pact between Sweden, North Germany and Britain is signed. Naturally, these three protestant powers align. Swedish ministers discuss plans for a unified Scandinavia, the Germans however were not too keen about this idea.

v2_2.jpg

Overview of the war between North Germany, France and the Commonwealth.

v2_3.jpg

Letter from the Minister Torstenson of Sweden to Lord Alexander-

Dear Lord Protector,

Sweden is being overwhelmed by liberal rebels, a liberal revolution here in Sweden could very easily overflow into other Protestant states, such as North Germany. For Europe to remain stable, I must request some assistance. A British intervention will send a clear message to the rebellious populations of Europe that any rebellions, protests or marches will be met with extreme force.

If you help us with this, Sweden will forever be in your debt.

Alexander obliges, and sends a task force of 21,000 men from Brittany to Stockholm, to engage a large rebel army, which retreats to a neighboring province.

v2_4.jpg

"Our quest to restore Elsass and Lothringen to the German Reich has succeeded! I, President Goderich, have established a united Germany, a single Germany- a powerful Germany! However, the Reich is still surrounded by powerful enemies. Only until the inclusion of ALL the German lands shall Germany be strong enough to face its opponents." The speech is met by ferocious cheering from the expectant crowd. The flags of Germany, Austria and the Sudetenland fluttered in the breeze. Goderich knew what he had to do.

GermanyFlag.jpg

v2_5.jpg

In Southern Europe, our Italian allies engage the Ottomans in a war for Sicily.

v2_6.jpg

Premier Alberto requests naval help from Britain to break the blockade of Spanish ships.

v2_7.jpg

Venetian nationalists rise up in the North of Italy, 33,000 men engage them.

v2_8.jpg

Britannia needs manpower to develop its many colonies. Unfortunately for some, they will be providing the labor, whether they like it or not!

v2_9.jpg

On the other side of the World, one of England's former colonies- Australia- holds a plebiscite to decide the fate of their country. A resounding 81% decide they wish to unite with Britain.

v2_10.jpg

British troops take positions on the Hindustani border.

v2_11.jpg

Result of the Italian-Ottoman War

v2_12.jpg

A similar plebiscite is held in New Zealand, with similar results.

v2_13.jpg

On the 17th of July, Britannia declares war on Hindustan.

v2_14.jpg

East India Company troops assault Bombay. A new era in the history of India has begun.

EastIndia.png

To be continued...

Last edited:
Why did you decide to legalise slavery in the Republic?

You've legalised slavery? Well its certainly a bold move I'll give you that. Will it be the Australians under the whip?

On Ireland, I understand your narrative reasons to merely puppet the place but those casualties were ghastly! I dare say Ireland hasn't got much of a population left after that handful of titanic battles.

You've legalised slavery? Well its certainly a bold move I'll give you that. Will it be the Australians under the whip?

On Ireland, I understand your narrative reasons to merely puppet the place but those casualties were ghastly! I dare say Ireland hasn't got much of a population left after that handful of titanic battles.

The war with Ireland was very difficult, they put up some pretty stiff resistance. I could have let them cross over from Belfast to Scotland and blockaded the straight, but it would feel cheap. I'm sure I could enslave the Aussies, and force them to work in bars and pubs all around Britannia :p

Why did you decide to legalise slavery in the Republic?

For narrative reasons basically. I'm also trying to show Britannia's transition to a totalitarian dictatorship.

Following this eagerly - though I'm confused, how did you get the starting map to look like that?

Welcome aboard sailor! I modified the starting scenario to get the map to look like this, it was quite easy.

Lastly, I was thinking on how to proceed with the AAR. I have 2 options.

Option number 1 is to stick to my original plan and switch to a different country around ~1860, possibly Poland-Lithuania, Netherlands or even a newly independent USA.

Option 2 is to start a new AAR at 1836 using the original scenario, which I still have saved.

What would you guys rather me do?

beat spain in a war then change to spain and have some sort of the rickity spanish empire trying to reclaim its pride, or you could play as italy and try and conquer the med

Switch to the USA and take over Canada and Mexico

I have to admit, I'd really like to see Deutschland expanded upon - though I doubt it'd be as interesting as some other countries.

Trying to rebuild the Austrian empire would be a challenge I bet.

Welcome aboard sailor! I modified the starting scenario to get the map to look like this, it was quite easy.

And thanks! Though my question is how?! Is it a program of sorts, or just a matter of txt files? I'd love to play around with this!

beat spain in a war then change to spain and have some sort of the rickity spanish empire trying to reclaim its pride, or you could play as italy and try and conquer the med

The Italy-Rome Mediterranean pond thing has been done quite a few times and I'd be worried the Spanish game would be just me colonizing.

Switch to the USA and take over Canada and Mexico

I was thinking of a USA game, where I fight for independence from the UK then take on the other colonizing powers.

And thanks! Though my question is how?! Is it a program of sorts, or just a matter of txt files? I'd love to play around with this!

I did all this using console commands, I'll do a 'how to' tomorrow if you like.

Sorry there hasn't been an update in a while, been very busy. Promise at least 2 updates over the weekend :laugh:

Step 1: Open the console by clicking the ¬ key, and type 'showprovinceid', this reveals the id for all the provinces, if you didn't guess already.

v2_1-1.jpg

Step 2: Type in 'changeowner *insert tag here* *insert province id here*' e.g. changeowner BYZ 860, as shown by the screenshot

v2_2.jpg

Many clicks later...

v2_4.jpg

Other commands include:

tag *insert country tag *, this switches country, country tags are normally the first 3 letters of a country, e.g. 'FRA' for France, 'AUS' for Austria and 'ENG' for the UK

event 11100, this will unite certain countries, eg event 11100 SWE will unite Sweden

Prestige, gives prestige, which can be useful if you want to make a country a great power.

Just as a note, this method is probably very inefficient and there will probably be much easier ways to do it, but it worked well for what I needed it for.

Last edited:
1848-1849​

India, one of the richest regions of the World, faces Britannia's wrath. East India Company, British and Mughal troops pour across the border with Hindustan, massacring all troops they come across.

British troops, led by the general Ian Stewart engage a Hindustani army, attempting to block the British advance to their capital. They are destroyed with minimal British losses.

v2_1.jpg

The quality of British troops becomes apparent as battle after battle is won.

v2_2.jpg

Hindustani troops are forces out of the Northernmost state, Mughal troops occupy the state while British troops chase down the fleeing Hindustani's

v2_3.jpg

Background: The British military technology situation, showing the vast technological gap with any native military force.

v2_4.jpg

British troops occupy the capital, but there is no time for a victory parade.

v2_5.jpg

Our allies will be able to help us occupy larger swathes of territory faster.

v2_6.jpg

Overall situation of the war.

v2_7.jpg

British troops have yet to be defeated! The commanders will be wanting a promotion after this...

v2_8.jpg

Overview of the entire war, June 16th 1849. The war is won.

v2_9.jpg