• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(236246)

Second Lieutenant
6 Badges
Nov 27, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Welcome to my first AAR! This AAR will follow the journeys of three nations as they enter an uncertain, alternate history century.

The journey begins in 1836, when an unstable Republic of Britannia faces the Kingdom of France in a war threatening to tear Lord Protector Alexander's dream apart. Matters take a turn for the worse when the Kingdom of Spain aids France in its war against Britannia, forcing Alexander to look for allies in an unlikely place...

A map of pre-war Britannia:
v2_13.jpg

Expect the first update forthwith!

So we've got:
A split Austria and Hungary
United Netherlands
Slightly stronger Prussia
United Italy
Poland-Lithuania?
United Iberia
And, obviously, the English-French setup.

Promises to be pretty interesting.

State of Britannia- 1836

LordProtector.png

Europe-

v2_1-1.jpg

The future of Britannia in mainland Europe hangs in the balance - the Kingdoms of France and Spain have signed an alliance which threatens the balance of power on the continent. Britain has no choice but to look for alliances. President Goderich and Premier Alberto must be contacted immediatley to discuss these urgent matters. Long term goals include restoring order to Ireland, union with Scotland and containing France and Spain.

North America-

v2_2-1.jpg

The 13 colonies grow more rebellious by the day. Discontentment against English industrialists and merchants is increasing. I have requested more troops to be sent urgently, but we are already spread thin guarding against the encroaching Spanish and French.

Asia-

v2_3.jpg

After the Hindu rebellion, a weakened Muslim state grasps to life in the North. We would be fools not to take advantage of this opportunity before the Hindustani's do. Perhaps our friends in Australia and New Zealand could help...

Military and Diplomacy-

EnglandTroops.jpg

Our forces are in an utter shambles! General Bowman warns me we will need at least 100,000 able bodied men to defend against France alone! Our technology is outdated and outclassed by the mainlanders. Our wooden walls are rotting. I have allocated £50,000 to update our navy, steamers are the future of naval warfare. Scotland is our only ally. Suitable candidates against Franco-Spanish aggression: the Republic of the Netherlands, the State of Prussia, the Republic of Italy

Lord Protector of England, Scotland, the French Territories, Australia, New Zealand, the Thirteen Colonies and New Northumberland, Alexander Hollingbery. 2nd January, 1836

Last edited:
So the French have New Brunswick/Nova Scotia instead of Quebec?

Indeed. France is currently colonizing Quebec and Louisiana. I'm hoping to prevent France colonizing too far into North America.

This looks like it will be very interesting :)

I'm hoping it will be interesting and I'm glad you're on board, I very much enjoy your AAR's.

Anglo-French War Part 1​

War was coming to Europe once again. Lord Alexander, a former general in the Reformed English Army, knew all too well what a war could do to the fragile republic. Alexander had directly commanded 10,000 men during the ill-fated Irish campaign, a war which cost the lives of 14,900 young, inexperienced English men- Alexander personally oversaw the battle in which his only brother was killed. Ever since he was sworn into power, Alexander was determined to stop another tragic war.

"Ambassador Friedman, Ambassador Moretti, I welcome you to my home. We have many matters to discuss, yes?" Alexander ushered the German and the Italian through the doorway. "Care for some tea gentlemen?" Both the men shook their heads. "France is growing in power, England is unprepared for a war against its armies. I must plea for your help as fellow republicans, we must counter France!" Alexander's tone grew more aggressive, he began to clench his fists slightly. Both the ambassadors sat in silence for some time, until Friedman blurted out "We need more time to prepare!", his volume was much louder than he expected, causing the Italian to nearly jump out of his seat. Alexander sighed, "Go back to Italy and Prussia, go wallow in your own splendid isolation but when England is defeated, when France regains its former strength, when the Ottomans attempt to come knocking at mainland Italy, you WILL NOT find an ally in England!". The ambassadors looked at each other, and in unison replied "We will see what we can do, but nothing is certain." Alexander sipped his cup of tea as the ambassadors left through the marble archway, knowing what was to come.

ItalyPrussia.jpg

Word reached London that Italy and Prussia have indeed signed an alliance with Britannia. But Alexander knew the alliance was flimsy at best.

Letter to Admiral Hayward-

I have come to the realization that Britannia does not have the resources it need to transport troops and supplies quickly and efficiently. During the siege of Dublin our naval resources were so sparse that we could not ship ammunition for our guns across the mere Irish Sea- the Irish sea! This must never happen again! Construction of 20 ships of steam have begun in various dockyards. Make sure they are ready to transport troops across the English Channel as soon as possible.

-Regards, Lord Protector Alexander

BuldingTransport.jpg

My mother told me to never trust a cowardly Dutchman!

NetherlandsAlliance.jpg

General Bowman has informed me that we have begun recruiting 150,000 fit and ready men into the Reformed English Army, way higher than I had hoped, perhaps the French won't attack us, at least we have Prussia and Italy's theoretical support- at least it's a deterrent!

Producingmoretroops.jpg

Alexander stared furiously at the report. His face turned red and large vein protruded on his forehead. He slammed his fist onto the table, nearly snapping the table. Alexander grasped his face with his hands and began to shake his head. "How could they, how could they just abandon us like this!" Two generals entered the room with a large map of Southern England and France. "Sir, we have 27,000 troops ready to ship to France, it will take a month for a suitable leader to command them. The are unorganized but have enough equipment for a number of battles." A look of deep resentment and tragedy grew across Alexanders face as he realized the desperate situation he was in. With no allies and a fraction of the needed troops, how could he possibly take on France?

Frenchdeclrerationofwar.jpg

The un-commanded army of 27,000 men set off from the port of Southampton and landed in Bordeaux to engage the much smaller French force at Mont de Maran. The battle was won but 4,000 men were lost. The remaining French troops retreated to a large French army, too large to engage.

Earlybattle2ndApril.jpg

The Lord Protector scowled at the Italian ambassador standing in front of him. "What do you want, have you come lose some more of your honor?" The Italian replied "We can understand your anger Lord Protector. But Premier Alberto has had a change of mind. We will be supporting you in your war." Alexander wished he could turn down the offer, but he knew he had to accept the assistance. "England will gladly accept."

ItalyAllianceduringwar.jpg

At least we have domination of the sea, right?

Navalengagement.jpg

Despite early victories, the Army of Alexander was reduced to a mere 13,000 men. Even with Italian support, Britannia had no battle worthy forces on the continent. Hope was quickly fading from the English leadership.

May22ndbattle.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like an interesting world: delayed colonization of the Americas, republics in Italy and Prussia, absolutist France and Spain, expansionist Japan...
Do you have a POD for this timeline, or is it just a bunch of cool ideas thrown together?
Can't wait to see what happens next!

Looks like an interesting world: delayed colonization of the Americas, republics in Italy and Prussia, absolutist France and Spain, expansionist Japan...
Do you have a POD for this timeline, or is it just a bunch of cool ideas thrown together?
Can't wait to see what happens next!

Thanks! I plan to intertwine as many PODs as possible in with the storyline, but if you want to know anything specific just ask. For example, in this history, the Scottish plan to colonize Panama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme) succeeded, and Scotland wasn't financial ruined. However, in 1797 English forces stormed over the Scottish border after accusations of supporting France. A puppet leader was installed, but now Alexander plans on absorbing Scotland completely into Britannia.

Thanks! I plan to intertwine as many PODs as possible in with the storyline, but if you want to know anything specific just ask. For example, in this history, the Scottish plan to colonize Panama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme) succeeded, and Scotland wasn't financial ruined. However, in 1797 English forces stormed over the Scottish border after accusations of supporting France. A puppet leader was installed, but now Alexander plans on absorbing Scotland completely into Britannia.
Scottish Panama? Awesome!
I'm looking forward to seeing a Scramble for the Americas.
As for explaining PODs, the ones I mentioned in my previous post would be a good place to start.
You said you would be playing as three different nations in this AAR. Will Japan be one of the others?
Britannia is a presidential dictatorship, right? "Lord Protector" sounds like a more grandiose euphemism for "President-for-Life"

This is very odd... but I think I like it ;) I'll subscribe!

I'm honoured you like my AARs, and I must say, I'm enjoying the look of this world. A very interesting althistory/scenario.

It's a pity about Prussia abandoning you - What has France declare war for, as its wargoal?

I love it so Far I will be following this but i BEG you to make this a mod with that as the start up please it could be some intersting games witht that id be interesting as taking on the british as the french and what is the life rating of the america and Africa if it is something diffrent and is there any more added revolters in the america

I'm honoured you like my AARs, and I must say, I'm enjoying the look of this world. A very interesting althistory/scenario.

It's a pity about Prussia abandoning you - What has France declare war for, as its wargoal?

France wants Picardie back, as can be seen in the popups of Italy/Prussia dishonouring and then honouring alliances.

Also, is that Ireland that's asking for an alliance?