• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Susana

COO Paradox Interactive
43 Badges
Aug 18, 2004
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Paradox Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Galactic Assault
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
Hi all,

After almost 3 years of working together, Paradox France (formerly AGEOD) and Paradox Interactive have reached a mutual conclusion that the interest of both companies would be better served by separating and allowing each entity to focus more on their goals, “core competencies” and skills. It has been a really exciting journey and we have all learnt a lot and been able to utilize each other’s diverse and strong competencies. Perhaps the most important thing to take away from this is that there is a lot of admiration and respect on both sides and that we will all continue working together moving forward, both with already released Paradox France games as well as actively seek opportunities to work together in other areas. We will be taking our time with this so it’s not something that will be rushed but we wanted to let you know what is in the works. All details will work themselves out over the course of the coming months.

So what does this mean practically?

• Paradox Development Studio will run and work more heavily with the Clausewitz developed games from Stockholm where the core team PDS is based
• Paradox France will regain autonomy to develop and design games on the AGE engine, and will keep both commercial and cooperation ties with Paradox Interactive. We already have several plans for the existing Paradox France titles in terms of support and content.
• AGE engine games will be handled solely by Paradox France/Ageod
• Napoleons campaigns II, being developed on the Clausewitz engine will move from being partly developed by PDS to being fully developed by PDS. As such it become a stronger “Europa Universalis” product than previously planned.

Again, the main goal for this shift is to ensure both team can focus on what they do best for the good of gaming and their communities. As soon as we have more to announce in terms of what you can expect to see on the Paradox France games, you’ll find us right here.

Best Regards
Paradox Interactive & Paradox France

I have to say I personally like the idea of AGEOD/Paradox France with total control of their games, and working on TBS... (AGE, and an improved one as soon as possible), and Paradox publishing them. Like Rise of Prussia.

What I think they need right now is Alea Jacta Est selling well, and people of ageod developing a new American Civil War game. A success is needed, and AACW2 would be what ageod needs to get a better AGE engine.

My only regret is what does Napoleon Campaigns 2 getting "Europa-Universalized" mean.

It will be a grand strategy game.

Yes, I now. And I love Paradox, I'll be preordering it. My point is that if the 'wargame' focus the people of Paradox France was giving has changed, what is the path the developers are taking? I mean, Paradox have 4 ways of playing: like characters (CK, Sengoku), armies (HoI), societies (Vicky) or countries (EU, Rome).

I don't think NCPII is suitable to EUIII features, and I'd like more to see something like a HoI game (complex armies, maybe changing technologies advances by tactical and strategical approaches, as well as different nations...), maybe something more related to training your officer corps (like in CKII with children). I mean, there's a lot of space of making things different and better, and I'd like to know more about the way Paradox has chosen.

I can't comment on what PI would publish from Ageod, as I am not involved in those matters.

My only regret is what does Napoleon Campaigns 2 getting "Europa-Universalized" mean.

It will feel like a PDS game in play. Deep historical flavour with a relatively intuitive interface. The team was 50% PDS before, and now its 100% PDS and I have personally taken charge of the project to make it into a succesful game.

My goal, as was the original goal for the game, has not changed. A unique strategy game set in Europe in the Napoleonic era, focusing on diplomacy and warfare to become the dominating power.

I'd say it takes a fair bit of HoI (armies), some eu3(diplomacy) and adds in a pinch of Sengoku (goals) with a fair amount of unique features.

I can't comment on what PI would publish from Ageod, as I am not involved in those matters.

It will feel like a PDS game in play. Deep historical flavour with a relatively intuitive interface. The team was 50% PDS before, and now its 100% PDS and I have personally taken charge of the project to make it into a succesful game.

My goal, as was the original goal for the game, has not changed. A unique strategy game set in Europe in the Napoleonic era, focusing on diplomacy and warfare to become the dominating power.

I'd say it takes a fair bit of HoI (armies), some eu3(diplomacy) and adds in a pinch of Sengoku (goals) with a fair amount of unique features.

Very promising, Johan. I'm in :)

I read this this morning and I thought by now there would be 100 or so posts on this important topic.

I will be watching this hoping others smarter than me (which is about 99.8% of the forum) start posting some interesting questions, etc.., on this.

I was wondering if this will delay the release of Napolean? I am thinking it will which sucks because I have been following this one for a while now. But, heck, you do what you have to do.

I also was wondering where did that comment about an AGEOD CW 2 come from? Did someone make that up or is that really a project? Wow, that would be crazy good.

A pity. I looked forward to seeing what Paradox France could do with the Clausewitz engine.

I wish both companies all the best. Focusing on core competencies is always a positive way to move forward.

I will keep buying games from both Paradox and AGEOD as usual, and will be just as excited to see what they come up with next.

Looking at the map that was going to be used I thought this cannot work but then again who knows what people can do.

I do think though that you need a new approach to the map design, moving from province to province is OK but its limiting when it comes to warfare especially if you want to make that an important part of the game play.

You could imagine a hex type layout superimposed over a province layout and brigades (whatever level of detail you choose) having to manoeuvre\ combine to fight battles and take control of provinces. The hex map would be closely linked to the terrain and its effect on movement and battle with the province (made up of a number of Hexes) linked to the economy and diplomacy.

Knowing what I do of Paradox I suspect this could become a stop on the road towards a EU4 but I think that trying to have a 3D world with trees and mountains does not allow the detail that you need to get down to the level that you should for Napoleonic warfare or for that matter a HOI4.

It would be interesting to imagine a Napoleonic game on a HOI3 map with intermittent fronts lines and needing to manoeuvre units into areas of tactical advantage for movement attack or defence (hex map) and also for political and economic control (province map).

A pity. I looked forward to seeing what Paradox France could do with the Clausewitz engine.
Indeed. I'm a bit disappointed.
PF/AGEOD games are great, but I find Clausewitz games more "fluid" by miles and was highly interested to see if they could bring their wargame quality to real-time.

My concerns with moving to Clausewitz were
It would change from PBEM to simultaneous online for multiplayer which has a massive difference on how player diplomacy works and makes organising large games a challenge - I am currently playing PoN with 24 nations being played by players, with time zones ranging from +8 to -8.
That is would loose the detail and complexity of the units and combat. I have always found the combat side of things on Clausewitz games to be a weakness - Rome was so bad that I simply can't face playing it, HoI 3 was OK apart from the leaders.

Without PF I fear it will end up as a war and diplomacy game with very little interest in the war and diplomacy side of things.

My concerns with moving to Clausewitz were
It would change from PBEM to simultaneous online for multiplayer which has a massive difference on how player diplomacy works and makes organising large games a challenge - I am currently playing PoN with 24 nations being played by players, with time zones ranging from +8 to -8.
That is would loose the detail and complexity of the units and combat. I have always found the combat side of things on Clausewitz games to be a weakness - Rome was so bad that I simply can't face playing it, HoI 3 was OK apart from the leaders.

Without PF I fear it will end up as a war and diplomacy game with very little interest in the war and diplomacy side of things.

PBEM and turnbased games are simply not something we'll ever invest money in. It is too niche and unprofitable to justify professional development.

Ah, ok. I thought that you were referring to turn-based games in general, too.

They usually sell less than real-time counter-parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.