Closed Thread
Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 29 54 ... LastLast

Thread: The sad state of affairs

General
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

The worlds biggest town in the middle of nowhere
    To paradox, most of us who are going to by this game played it as a mod in EU3 (I think it was more popular than the core, at that) and went through the various stages of bug fixes, mechanic updates, and hotfixes. So I think its safe to say that we would be willing to play the game, even if it is unstable, thats how we originally played it, and there are no mechanical updates other than maybe the ottomans/ plc in the foreseeable future, so I think if you release it as a clear beta, with some bonuses for earlier purchasers, I think you will be fine

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

UV has not the right to release the game. It's the right of Paradox.

yes im aware of that, i was just ushering the suggestion that Ubik could propose to paradox and then they could give us a payed beta.
    Adding breadth and depth to the medieval aspects of economy, technology & the military - Magnate Lords A mod for CK2

Beware of the HoG
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

ubik,

Do you mean that the game typically runs 30-50 years between CTDs, then can be reloaded and played on? If so, that's not dissimilar from EU (ha! better, actually), EU II and others at release, and I wouldn't even require a Beta disclaimer provided MP is stabilized in the zero day patch/soon after.

Or do you mean that the game will run for 30-50 years without CTDs, then become virtually unplayable? If so, Paradox's accounting of the situation may be a bit more accurate than yours...
    Last edited by HolisticGod; 04-06-2012 at 17:28.
    HG

You want to live where the suffering is/I want to get out of town/Come on, baby, give me a kiss/Stop writing everything down/Both of us say there are laws to obey/Yeah, but frankly I don't like your tone/You want to change the way I make love/I want to leave it alone
    -Leonard Cohen

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Lilja View Post
    Hi again,

I want to clarify a point about the quality of Magna Mundi and previous releases from Paradox:

Paradox strives to improve in all aspects; technical stability, accessibility and gameplay fun. We have at times fallen short of our goals, but never lost our will to improve. Two wrongs does not make a right; the shortcomings of Magna Mundi does not go away because we have made errors of judgement previously.

Sincerely,
    Mattias Lilja
    but is a large focus on multiplayer necessary at game release - especially if it is going to jeopardize a project which has been in development for a few years? and in which a note could be attached to the game that at release multiplayer is unstable. Wouldnt paradox earn more money that way by sooner releasing the product and then striving for said technical stability (of the multiplayer) in the future.
    Adding breadth and depth to the medieval aspects of economy, technology & the military - Magnate Lords A mod for CK2

Quote Originally Posted by HolisticGod View Post
    ubik,

Do you mean that the game typically runs 30-50 years between CTDs, then can be reloaded and played on? If so, that's not dissimilar from EU (ha! better, actually), EU II and others at release, and I wouldn't even require a Beta disclaimer provided MP is stabilized in the zero day patch/soon after.

Or do you mean that the game will run for 30-50 years without CTDs, then becomes virtually unplayable? If so, Paradox's accounting of the situation may be a bit more accurate than yours...
    I'm assuming the first one.

Regarding Lilja's post, it is good that paradox strives to release high quality products but only to a certain extent. The question is not whether the game is buggy but if it's so extremely buggy that it can't be released. HoI3, which was buggy when released was ok (not prefect), because the bugs got fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatia1871 View Post
    "Lying" may be rather strong, but there does certainly seem to be a strong variance in what the two parties feel is an acceptable state for a release.
    Well it's just natural. One half is a handful of spare-time developers and the other is fond about their newly-found ability to release games with only a few gamebreaking bugs. Posting about that in the open doesn't exactly help any side, though.

Me, I just want to play MM, even without MP (MP has been horrible in all PI games anyway).

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

ubik,

Or do you mean that the game will run for 30-50 years without CTDs, then becomes virtually unplayable? If so, Paradox's accounting of the situation may be a bit more accurate than yours...
    from k_merse seems to imply that they havent ran much longer tests than the 50-60 year mark
    Ignored: Nuril, videonfan, Pandi

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMajesty 2Victoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordHearts of Iron: The Card Game
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by apg View Post
    yes im aware of that, i was just ushering the suggestion that Ubik could propose to paradox and then they could give us a payed beta.
    I think Ubik has already suggested this. Not sure but thats the way it kinda looks.

Also why is there almost contradicting posts still coming from both the developers and producers. Also paradox we know you strive to make good releases for the fans, Thats why you have an occult following, however how would you be doing wrong by releasing this game as a beta to be bought be wrong? As long as you are informing the customer of the state then there is nothing wrong at all.
    "In the Soviet Union, capitalism triumphed over communism. In this country, capitalism triumphed over democracy." - Fran Lebowitz

Beware of the HoG
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    from k_merse seems to imply that they havent ran much longer tests than the 50-60 year mark
    Yeah, just saw that.

That alone is not a good sign.
    HG

You want to live where the suffering is/I want to get out of town/Come on, baby, give me a kiss/Stop writing everything down/Both of us say there are laws to obey/Yeah, but frankly I don't like your tone/You want to change the way I make love/I want to leave it alone
    -Leonard Cohen

Crusader for Fun and Profit Murmurandus's Avatar
    200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Meerhout, Flanders, Belgium - Born in Brugge;)
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately this whole thread proves my fears. In seems Ubik and his team are in a different 'Universe' as it comes to quality standards...
    "May the Earth tremble with Beer... euh, Fear"

"Never change a winning avatar..."

"Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes."

Ubisoft EUII 1.09 ~ Strategy First Victoria 1.04 ~ Paradox CK Deus Vult ~ Paradox HoI2 Doomsday ~ Paradox EUIII Complete ~ Paradox EU: Rome Gold

Currently being a loser in Hattrick as FC MMDS (316966) as you could read here .

Beware of the HoG

Thats why you have an occult following,
    Never speak of our dark arts in public!
    HG

-Leonard Cohen

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

If magna mundi is taken down i will bring my mother to Johan

Quote Originally Posted by raw View Post
    Well it's just natural. One half is a handful of spare-time developers and the other is fond about their newly-found ability to release games with only a few gamebreaking bugs. Posting about that in the open doesn't exactly help any side, though.

Me, I just want to play MM, even without MP (MP has been horrible in all PI games anyway).
    i think you are doing it wrong

Regarding multiplayer. It is there, but frankly at the moment I can't say that it's stable in the current build. Until recently I was the only one to maintain MP support and perform MP testing. It's hard to focus on MP when I have other issues in the game that need my attention. Investigating desync problems is quite difficult and usually takes considerable time. The recent work on the rendering was a major distraction for example. But I think it's possible to deliver stable MP in a release patch.

I have to admit though, that generally the game is of beta quality at best. It really needs at least a month of polish. If it was up to me, I wouldn't release the game as it is now, but I wouldn't cancel it either.
    Last edited by Ignatich; 04-06-2012 at 18:13.

Beware of the HoG

Quote Originally Posted by videonfan View Post
    If magna mundi is taken down i will bring my mother to Johan
    Or the reverse, depending on his preference...
    HG

-Leonard Cohen

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

:conspiracyvideofanu: I told and will repeat.They are doing it on purpose.They say it is full of bugs so we forget it and they can get away with playing it unstoppably for days :P it is a conspiracy of Sweden and Portuguese alike! :conspiracyvideofanu:

Europa Universalis IV

Or the reverse, depending on his preference...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	disgusted-oh-god-why-text.png
Views:	31
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	55456
    the thought is killing me

Sorry for doubleposting

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If the game can be played without multiplayer beyond the 50 years, then release4 without multiplayer.
    If it can not be played beyond 50 years even without multiplayer, then do not release it, it would just make the
    forum look like the TW forums.

Just to toss in an idea. Have you considered following in Xenonauts footsteps. It's a game that's been in development for 3 years and they recently started a kickstarter project to raise funding to add some final "polish" to a game that's getting close to finished.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

And also please try not to cancel it altogether since the premise of the game is great.
    Just work on it harder and try to correct the deficiencies in it.
    Again to it is simple, if MP is the problem , then no MP.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 29 54 ... LastLast