• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Careful...that's my favourite empire you're talking about. :mad:

And mine.... :glare:

Anyhoo What I would like to see is SOME kind of get out for the whole France/Germany perpetual DOW every bloody time. As Prussia, France and I were BFFs till the whole A-L issue came about.

When I had no choice but to take it from them to form Germany in 1860-ish, from the minute peace was declared to every time the truce ran out France, along with Austria and Russia regularly as clockwork started the row again and again until 1936. It got really quite tiresome in the end as they never beat me, or had any appearences they would. A couple of times I just swapped out countries, and white peaced out just to stop the "Great War" slog yet again.

At least with EU3, cores were lost if they were held by the other side for more than 50 years or given up as part of a peace deal. Couldn't that be implemented so we could go back to being mates? :wub:

Anyhoo What I would like to see is SOME kind of get out for the whole France/Germany perpetual DOW every bloody time. As Prussia, France and I were BFFs till the whole A-L issue came about.

When I had no choice but to take it from them to form Germany in 1860-ish, from the minute peace was declared to every time the truce ran out France, along with Austria and Russia regularly as clockwork started the row again and again until 1936. It got really quite tiresome in the end as they never beat me, or had any appearences they would. A couple of times I just swapped out countries, and white peaced out just to stop the "Great War" slog yet again.

At least with EU3, cores were lost if they were held by the other side for more than 50 years or given up as part of a peace deal. Couldn't that be implemented so we could go back to being mates? :wub:

I've been wondering that for ages. Why oh why can't we get the ability to kill off cores? Having to fight the same war every 5 effing years is so god damn annoying...

Something like, "Give up Core" CB, would help?

Because if it was in the game, it would be used to neutralize any future conflict. French revanchism could be neutralized by using this wargoal in a single war. Not ideal, that is.

If France would just remember they've been curbstomped before, maybe that would be better.
On the other hand, a little more fluidity with the cores might be a good thing. Maybe divide it between cultural cores and diplomatic cores. A cultural core is any province/region that has a majority of your primary (or maybe an accepted) culture. A diplomatic core is an internationally recognized claim on the land, be it a historical claim, part of a treaty, or a piece of carved up Africa. You can only lose a cultural core if your culture becomes a minority, but at the same time you can create cultural cores by having your culture move into an area. Diplomatic cores are gained and lost via the pen and the sword. For a country to have both a cultural core and a diplomatic core on a region, it will fight very hard to take it back, much like France acts now. But Germany could achieve the removal of French diplomatic cores, and afterwards France would not fight as hard, but won't have written them off entirely due to the backup core.

I sympathize a little bit, but if France won't stay down, then you didn't hurt them enough or you didn't puff up your military score enough.

Even the historical French reaction to the loss at Sedan during the Franco-Prussian war wasn't exactly an acknowledgement of defeat. Despite losing 1 emperor and and 120,000 troops, they just overthrew the existing government and pressed the war further, recruiting more troops in anticipation of turning the war around. And for years after the end of that war, French foreign policy revolved around revanchism. Historically, France didn't go after Germany too quickly because of the need for alliances. But that's a recognition of German military strength (military score).

If France keeps gunning for you, you either need better alliances or you need enough military strength to deter them. Considering what a 6 month total occupation of continental France will do to a major industrial power (factories that go bankrupt get turned back into level 1 again), you could also try an informal punishment of France by occupying them long enough to seriously hurt their industry and wipe out their soldier POPs. This won't permanently geld them, but it will seriously compromise their ability to do much of anything except fall to revolts for the next 20 years.

EDIT: If you are interested in using Great Wars to dismember enemies, letting France feel revanchist after the 70s opens up a good chance for them initiating a Great War, letting you redraw Europe's map to your whim.