• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything is working fine for me. And I'm hosting a lot.

Made myself DMZ long ago, because I'm too lazy to open ports for all these different games I have. :/

Last edited:
For the guy who says "but then the games will only be on steam." I don't really care? It's not like the other DD services beyond gog are offering anything particularly noteworthy. Cue eighty pages of "the monopoly" and "bu-bu-bu my preferred retailer offers X! Steam doesn't offer that!"

i dont care if you dont care about forcing people to buy form steam. steam isnt perfect. therefor, its best not to force it on people. i prefer steam. someone else prefers GG. why remove GG buying options ONLY for MP? its already perfectly possible to play mp. just try a little harder next time.

that beign said, more MP support would be nice.

Sure. Go buy Dawn of War 2 plus the expansions. Now try to get your friends into a game. Gee that was easy, since you were able to invite them from your friend's list to your game. Oh, and there wasn't a separate login. Oh hey, and you didn't need to once dick with ports, your router or dilithium crystals!

On the down side, you'll no longer have the opportunity to continue the long tradition of sacred mystical dances on the winter solstice that paradox has always required in order to get their games to work in MP. I just don't know what I'd do with my ceremonial goat.

Anyway, speaking of DoW2 I'm going to go back to playing that with friends. CK2: it's what I do alone! After all, if I can't play with others why should I bother trying to get them to buy it.
Are you being sarcastic? Because in my experience, DoW2 multislayer was god-awful. My proudest moment was when, a few seconds into the game, windows live booted my friend. We were planning on playing both the original and chaos rising campaings in co-op, but that we were denied. After the first mission, live just kept booting him from the game. Retribution was alot better though, when they ditched live.

Only problems I've had with CK2 mp were firewall related. After fixing that, it's worked fine through all the hours we've poured into it.

palmtree, you missed the most obvious thing. You forgot to use a third party site to check if your port is actually open.

The problem is with you. Either you failed to set your things up properly or your ISP puts you behind proxy and blocks incoming connections.

you didn't get what the OP was trying to say, this is 2012, port forwarding is a thing of the last millenia, we are not debating if it is easy or not to port forward but if it should be necessary in 2012, so stop using poor excuses for a MP part that looks like it has been developed in 1999, last game i remember that had such a MP part was C&C red alert1.

I use Hamachi with my friends to play. We have no issues connecting, the experience is very nice! If you are having trouble playing multiplayer then download Hamachi and make a server with your friends.

I've been using direct IP and hosting, everything works fine. Just open the ports mentioned in the tech threads and direct IP should work.

As for using steam, I'm not sure what P'dox would need to do to get that functionality. Can a game do that without being a steam exclusive?

I use Hamachi when playing with friends. I don't think playing with random people would be much fun for me, but playing with friends is really good. And Hamachi is very easy to use and it works almost all the time.

you didn't get what the OP was trying to say, this is 2012, port forwarding is a thing of the last millenia, we are not debating if it is easy or not to port forward but if it should be necessary in 2012, so stop using poor excuses for a MP part that looks like it has been developed in 1999, last game i remember that had such a MP part was C&C red alert1.

No. 2012 or 2024 or whatever year it is, closed ports is the problem of user, not game maker. I wrote this just 10 posts before and I will write it again: if you don't have to forward ports when hosting games, you're not hosting them, someone else is doing this for you. This is how the Internet works. If you compare Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2, former lets you host your games, and loads of user-made content has been made for it, people all over the world have been spending their time playing hundreds of different user-created custom games. In Starcraft 2, the ability to host maps has been taken away from you. Upsides - you don't need to forward ports to create games. Downsides - moronic map/script size limits, players no longer have any control over things they create, and all creative community has pretty much turned away from SC2. This all is considering the almost flawless quality of service provide by blizzard's infinite bucks. Paradox, in addition to downsides I listed, just won't be able to provide stable hosting service for all games people want to play.

If you love feeling miserable, keep doing what you're doing. Otherwise please educate yourself and learn to open your ports. That's all it takes to create a successful game of CK2 multiplayer. No, it's not a quirk of last century, it's an essential part of Internet.

If you have so much trouble setting up port forwarding, just pay 3 bucks to get a VPN tunnel (or use Hamachi). That even gets you through the most restrictive university firewalls, not to mention badly set up routers.

Well, I can only say that there's something you've missed, whether it's the host not forwarding all required ports, or the players not opening all required ports in all their firewalls. There are several games going on right now in the MP forum, so that proves it is possible to play CK2 MP. Some people have reported success by using Hamachi to bypass the port requirements.

Hearing that other people are able to play the game in multiplayer doesn't actually make the fact that Aeon, I, and our two buddies couldn't play last night any less frustrating. No one could connect to anyone. Everyone tried their hand at hosting. It wasn't the case of one of us having a bad connection, all of us apparantly had bad connections.

And I am familiar with the inner workings of routers, the list of forwarded ports in my router settings takes up an entire screen. If it was just a matter of properly forwarding ports then I should have been able to play last night.

I wasted an hour last night trying to get CK2 to work and that I persevered that long is because I love the game. But that's it. I'm not going to jump through any more hoops over something like this. I don't know why Paradox can't get multiplayer working when every other game I play can but ultimately that's not my problem. It's their problem. I don't care what they have to do or why it's so hard to get right, I just care about not spending hours doing technical shit when I should be having fun with my friends.

If you were the least bit familiar with inner workings of routers, the first thing you would have done was to actually check if port is open and visible from the Internet.

I'm sorry it's frustrating for you. It's working well for everyone else. Next time you play, invite someone competent to host the game for you.

both ck1 and ck2 have worked fine for me in MP as well as other PI games. Of course, crashes sometimes happen, especially when you play with 5+ people but my overall opinion is that PI games provide solid multiplayer. Even mods work very fine in most cases which is extraordinary.

Most problems are usually linked to players' internet connection stability, less frequently to mysterious changes of checksum in modded games, never vanilla games though.

No steamworks and similar spyware please. Players can handle their routers, firewalls, game installations on their own. If they don't its better to learn how to handle it rather than rely on a third party, right?

Last edited:
Hearing that other people are able to play the game in multiplayer doesn't actually make the fact that Aeon, I, and our two buddies couldn't play last night any less frustrating. No one could connect to anyone. Everyone tried their hand at hosting. It wasn't the case of one of us having a bad connection, all of us apparantly had bad connections.

And I am familiar with the inner workings of routers, the list of forwarded ports in my router settings takes up an entire screen. If it was just a matter of properly forwarding ports then I should have been able to play last night.

I wasted an hour last night trying to get CK2 to work and that I persevered that long is because I love the game. But that's it. I'm not going to jump through any more hoops over something like this. I don't know why Paradox can't get multiplayer working when every other game I play can but ultimately that's not my problem. It's their problem. I don't care what they have to do or why it's so hard to get right, I just care about not spending hours doing technical shit when I should be having fun with my friends.

Well if you continue to do something that does not work and then shrug off the suggestions that are given in this thread... well... yeah...

No steamworks and similar spyware please. Players can handle their routers, firewalls, game installations on their own. If they don't its better to learn how to handle it rather than rely on a third party, right?

No it's not, players who just want to have a good time with their friends shouldn't be forced to change anything manualy in their pc's/routers settings. I understand that some people don't want spyware on their computers but using steam is standard nowadays, sry but the people who are against it are just a minority, so it would be for the best of the game and the gamers if the game would be connected to steam-mp or if PI manages to create something on it's own like steam&battlenet, then that.

the people who are against it are just a minority, so it would be for the best of the game and the gamers if the game would be connected to steam-mp or if PI manages to create something on it's own like steam&battlenet, then that.

PI provides similar service - their metaservers are empty, people prefer to play using direct internet connection. Majority of them. Why? because its easier and more stable once you learn basics using google. Get over the birth pain and enjoy freedom.

Of course there could be an option to play like you say but majority of players cannot be forced to use it as the only way.

Last edited:
No it's not, players who just want to have a good time with their friends shouldn't be forced to change anything manualy in their pc's/routers settings. I understand that some people don't want spyware on their computers but using steam is standard nowadays, sry but the people who are against it are just a minority, so it would be for the best of the game and the gamers if the game would be connected to steam-mp or if PI manages to create something on it's own like steam&battlenet, then that.

Steam is no where near a "standard". I can name plenty of games that run on their own online platform...

Steam is no where near a "standard". I can name plenty of games that run on their own online platform...

yeah on origin or battlenet, there is no succesfull MP game that doesn't run through some kind of online platform, which proves that port-forwarding = out of date and a very bad design decision.

yeah on origin or battlenet, there is no succesfull MP game that doesn't run through some kind of online platform, which proves that port-forwarding = out of date and a very bad design decision.

I consider PI games very succesful MP games - given the total size of PI gamers, many of them play MP as well which is a success, especially when you take into account that these games are very time consuming and thus not exactly suitable for MP. How many demanding strategy games have this high proportion of MP gamers among players?

I dont think that launching the game and clicking join is a "very bad design decision" nor "out of date". Putting middlemen into the process is the way of making things more complicated and is a very bad design decision IMO, made only to have players under more direct control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.