• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm really mostly interested in seeing how the Civil War turns out. I really hope you modded that. The Southern States seceding from a Southern dominated republic just doesn't make sense to me. I could see Pennsylvania/ New Jersey+ maybe a few Mid Western states voting to join the New England Commonwealth and that would naturally spark a war with the United States, but I don't see any Southern secession being remotely possible. Good luck, I'm really enjoying both the writing and the general plausible sequence of events in this AAR.

The updates are too short though...

Perhaps we could see a Western secession with a Canadian influenced abolitionist leaning California, Oregon and Washington?

gremlok: Thank you. A map - I can put in a regional map from the period but bar New England independence there's little to see. Its the 1850s and 1860s that see proper divergence. West Africa is interesting but we'll get to that.

Chilango2: Indeed but due to their dominance, the slave lobby are a little less manic ITTL. However there are radical factions who are looking elsewhere for land.

alhoward: Of course you're jumping to the conclusion the United States will have a civil war.

RossN: Maybe but seeing as what we call southern California is a slave territory it might be difficult.

Nathan Madien & alhoward: They've been roughly 1000 words. TBF in previous AARs I usually do 1500 word chapters, time is a factor however.

Last edited:
I enjoy these "alternate US" style AARs; this one promises to be an excellent one.

Sorry folks - this isn't cancelled, the next update is a third done but looking for a new job and other writing projects have sucked up a lot of my time. Frankly can't promise when I'll post again but hopefully it'll be around Sunday/Monday.

PS - I'm quite tickled that the quietest period for this AAR so far has seen a 1000 view jump!

See you soon,
Jape

I've just read this, and it's been a very enjoyable AAR thus far.
It will be interesting to see how the American westwards expansion will be handled, and what will happen to the free states that remained within the Union.
By the way, has the Erie Canal been constructed?

New England! That alone caught my attention (being a New Englander myself). I would very much enjoy seeing a map and how you intend to develop your industry. I live in Providence and am surrounded by the shadows of what was once a great industrial and merchant center. I totally understand the distractions of real life but look forward to when you can continue. Keep it up!

Subscribified!

Suscribed too, event if I fear the AAR is canceled.

Eams: Thank you. Westward expansion will be effected by the new free-slave balance, as is general North-South relations. It'll be fun. The *Erie Canal was indeed built ITTL. In finished product its not much different but its focus beyond connecting Up-state with New York City, included connecting Ontario more directly with New England trade and received Commonwealth funds due to Federalist interventionist policies and as something of a pork barrel project to keep New York onside.

robw963: I'm happy to hear I have native Yankee approval. Industry will be gone into more, on maps as I said at present there's not a huge difference beyond the Commonwealth being separate but as we head into the 1850s and 1860s they'll be plenty of maps to show changes in the USA and elsewhere.

Jokurr: Cheers.

humancalculator: Thank you.

Viden: Cheers, and don't worry this isn't cancelled, it was merely resting.

------------------------------

Don't mind me, I stepped outside for a cheroot. Sorry this slumbered, I'll have a new update for you all very soon. Though by my standards a few months is a mere nap for an AAR, hopefully dear readers I can entice you back?

Soon, very soon!

Sorry this slumbered, I'll have a new update for you all very soon. Though by my standards a few months is a mere nap for an AAR, hopefully dear readers I can entice you back?

Soon, very soon!

Welcome news!

Having just read through everything it is proving a most interesting AAR. The basis for the AAR is loaded with potential, which you have already tapped into very nicely. I'm looking forward to reading what happens next, I'll be following.