+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Iran?

Iran?

I have this curiosity for a long time.

Why is good old Persia,named Iran(wich means in persian Land of the Aryans)

I mean PERSIA,this name has a milenary history,why don t they call themselfes PERSIA anymore?

A Man's a Man for A' That Nasrallah's Avatar
    200k clubHeir to the Throne

Persia was a name given to them by the Greeks. The Iranians always referred to themselves as Iran, even under the Achaemenids. The Shah during the 30's I think officially changed the name of the country in all languages to Iran.
    I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under; and I am confident that when I have heard the reasons against it, something will be said to answer those reasons, in so much that I should doubt whether he was an Englishman or no that should doubt of these things.
    Thomas Rainsborough

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

An interesting question. But quickly googlable: Name of Iran.
    TLDR: Turns out, "Persia" is merely the Western name, while Persians referred to themselves with derivative forms of "Iranians" for centuries and, possibly, several thousand years.
    Tinkering while waiting for RoI
    CKII: Tribal Kings - vanilla map de jure overhaul for 867 setup (everything to the East and South from Poland)
    CKII: From Varangians to Greeks - the tale of Rus' through events and mechanics

ok thank you for the quick responses.

+ Reply to Thread