• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(425201)

Colonel
3 Badges
Dec 19, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I got the idea from this AAR. I think I will do a kind of Steppe Wolf version of that (as long as, one, I don't have trouble with bugs like my first AAR, or two, I continue to be interested in this.) I will change countries every 10 years (if the thread becomes popular enough, I will start doing a vote.), and see how things are at the end. The options:
Advisors: Normal
Leaders: Normal
Agents: Normal (I am kind of on the fence on merchants and maybe spies though)
Inflation: Normal
Colonists: 400. It just takes too long to colonize provinces otherwise.
Difficulty: Normal
AI aggressiveness: High. I want to see action in this game.
Spread of provinces: 25 years
Lucky Nations: None. I've heard that Lucky Nations just destroy the game balance (the balance is already bad enough with the mod, with the static naval battles and no colonial range in the beginning and inflated economy anywhere else)
Here are the screenshots from the start date, January 2, 11 AD. If you have any questions, just post it on the thread.
Europe:
23uy1af.png

Asia:
25yzjad.png

Australia:
qp2znm.png

North America:
vipf1e.png

South America:
2cfpr6.png

There are no African nations that aren't already shown in the Europe screenshot.
EDIT:Here are some additions:
-I can be flexible on the 10 year thing. This number is what I'll start with for now and one which might change over time as the world changes.
-I don't want to play the same country twice in too short of time. Again, this might change.
-I'm not exactly the superstars that some of you are. So don't ask me to play as someone like Judea to try and do something ridiculously hard like fend off Roman and Parthian invasions.
-I'll let you vote on the first country for now. If there are little or no votes though, I'll start choosing countries unless I don't know who to play, in which case I might just ask the one or two people who I should play as.
-A note on Xiongnu: They might look like good choices because of their size, but there is a major problem with playing as them. Most of their territories are colonies. This means that, one, they cost a ridiculous amount both to maintain and for tech and stability, two, they can easily get seized by invaders, and three, It means that I get almost no income (one and three make a horrible one-two punch which results in almost constant bankruptcy.)

Last edited:
Another idea: Maybe I should keep playing until the country's ruler dies.

Don't start with them, but at some point could you try to unify the Australian minors?
Perhaps. This is possible because an event fires from the beginning which discovers all of your continent in this mod.

I decided to just choose the first country myself for now. I'll start playing now.

King Carlo IV Allori of Lombard, Part I

NOTE: I might not finish an entire update in one sitting, so check periodically to see if I've added to one of my updates.
Okay, so here begins my latest AAR on Steppe Wolf. I choose for my first character Carlo IV Allori of Lombard.
We open the game, and we don't know about anything.
2hqtgld.png

We centralize, and we get 9,000 rebels.
4q4n4n.png

Our military screen after updating our artillery. We don't have the tech for cav, and the units that we do have have terrible fire and shock values.
zsmw42.png

We get the continental map event, discovering all of Europe. We later get another event discovering all of Rome's holdings in Asia Minor, the middle East and North Africa. We also get the barbarian control event for all of our provinces, getting cores on everything.
1z3peed.png
2mh9zsx.png
30ibxup.png

The Vandals offer us an alliance, which we accept.
35kny4n.png
EDIT: I'm pretty sure this update is incomplete, but I won't add to it as
1. One, I'm lazy, especially as I just did a pretty long one and
2. It is out of date.

Last edited:
Interesting. I haven't seen much of Steppe Wolf so I'm particularly interested in this :)

It looks cool though I'm a little confused about those initial maps. Are you saying the entire world was Terra Incognito when you started? There was no part of the map you could see?

It looks cool though I'm a little confused about those initial maps. Are you saying the entire world was Terra Incognito when you started? There was no part of the map you could see?
Yes.

Sorry for not updating. I just haven't been able to be bothered to update, as it is so tiresome to upload all of those screenshots through TinyPic. But I've continued to play, and here is the world map in 75 AD:
2uh92ww.png

As you can see, my Lombard part was extremely successful. I conquered much of my neighbors, but my ruler died in the middle of the war, which, unsurprisingly, the AI just decided to WP out of. I then switched to newly-independent Egypt. I conquered Judea, as part of an on-going war at the time, but my ruler died shortly after. I was then debating whether I wanted to switch to Aksum (who'd crossed the Red Sea and looked like a potential colonial power) or Sakas (who was expanding in India). In the end, I picked Sakas. Turned out, I was in huge economic problems at the time (I've had to live through 2 loans). Also, I had a claim throne CB on Kangju (who'd taken over all of the north and was extremely powerful.) They turned out to have a weak army, so I invaded. I then made the mistake of seizing their provinces and colonies. This gave me the burden of paying for the colonies, adding to the economic problems I already had (I managed to make them self-sustaining, but not before my inflation went through the roof), and the provinces were really big, so it took forever to move between them. Because there were so many rebels there, I just decided to abandon it. I have also gained a little bit of land through war. I have disbanded some units and have lost an army in battle, so that has cut down the maintenance cost as well. Also, I have had many wars and my king can't seem to die (he's been in power for 40 years now.) When he dies, I may start updating again, so stay tuned.

King Quastantinos IV Senar- Part 1

It is 77 AD, and the Sakas king finally died. I have now moved on to Aksum, and their new (crappy) ruler, Quastantinos IV (try saying that ten times fast!).
We have an OK starting position. We have plenty of money (that isn't something we'll have to worry about, unlike the Sakas part), and the king was just inaugurated, meaning this should be a long chapter in this game.
258rzlz.png

The starting position

Here is the world. Although Rome has lost much of their holdings, they are still ridiculously powerful (they now have an army of over 600K men- definitely no one to mess with...:eek: What will happen? There's only one way to find out...
syxteh.png

Although we're awesome, we're just one corner in a vast (known) world...

Here are the sliders. For some reason, I forgot to change them before the update.:p They seem really good, compared to some I've seen. We are a Despotic Monarchy, which is really good, compared to a Tribal government.
11lj7cz.png

We have pretty decent starting sliders.

We have a 4-ship navy at the start, but no armies. we'll have to fix that.
34rejwn.png

Our only military force at the start

The economy page of the Domestic Interface. Our inflation is pretty low, and the economy is indeed much better than that of my Sakas situation I was in:
1zeb3t5.png

We are in a pretty good economic situation.

The military page. All of the ships we have are triremes, which are known to never make progress in naval battles in this mod. We have a little bit of war exhaustion due to our war taxes.
34j67wy.png

Our units and war exhaustion

Our religion is Egyptian Religion. We tolerate other religions decently, and have no decisions to enact other than converting (we can't convert to most of them yet , and we are at war, so we can't anyway). The modifiers for being Egyptian Religion are also shown.
29o0k2h.png

Our tolerance is okay.

Religious mapmode. I try to write down (but in horribble handwriting- How well do you think you'd write with a mouse?) what the different colors mean. Ethiopia's populous has converted to Coptic Orthodoxy already (it'll be interesting to see if they get consumed by rebels trying to convert their nation), and Greco-Roman Religion is still prominent in Rome- there is no sign of Christianity there- yet.
2im3ser.png

The religions of the (known) world

Unfortunately, I gain no colonists per year. So much for my plan to colonize...
1zefg3q.png

I can't colonize...

List of triggered modifiers (I don't feel like posting a screenie for all of them)

Sir our technology is in the age of Antiquity:
Stability Cost Modifier: -5%
Yearly Cultural Tradition: +4.0(!)
National Trade Income: +5%
Tech Cost: -1%
Discipline: +1%

The Militia Act:
Stability Cost Modifier: +5%
Discipline: +6%

redsea_toll:
National Trade Income Modifier: +50%(!)

This Country is African:
Builld Cost: +5%
National Revolt Risk: -0.2
Trade Efficiency: -25% (!)
Yearly Colonists: +0.00 (?)
Yearly Diplomats: +0.10
Missionary Cost: +200%(!)
Missionary Chance: -5%(!)
Morale of Armies: +0.09
National Manpower Modifier: +1%
Land Forcelimits Modifier: +2%
Infantry Cost: -75%(!)
Cavalry Cost: +20%
Land Attrition: -20%
Monthly War Exhaustion: -0.03
Yearly Cultural Tradition: -2.0
Technology Cost: +40% (on top of the crappy 40% efficiency you get for being in the tech group associated with the modifier)
Discipline: -2%
Land Tech Investment: +0.05(?)

Phew, that was a lot of typing.
Diplomatic mapmode:
5349ie.png

I am at war with someone far away, and plan to invade Nubia and possibly Egypt, when they are consumed with another war or with rebels.
I am at war with the Moors, which probably explains why I have no army.
vgqwli.png

Poor Moors...I guess you won't invade Spain then...
I begin converting my populous from Greco-Roman Religion, whom are considered heretics, and one province of Shamanists, which are considered heathens, but with relatively low chance, as it is affected by a modifier that you get from being in the African tech group.
143g6tv.png

Converting the populous.
I leave you with the tech mapmode.
2uyrv9i.png

We're ahead of the Europeans (for now)!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phew, that was a long one...
A little note... the reason I often can't be bothered to update these AARs is because, one, it's tiring (so many images to transport through TinyPic over to the thread), and two, which relates, because it is so much more attractive to just play the game, as it takes, sometimes, maybe an hour to make an AAR out of what you can do in, say, 10 minutes. Hopefully, though, I will be bothered in the future to make these.

Last edited:
Okay, that update is now over. Also, a bonus screenshot...
jhx89i.png

King Quastantinos IV Senar- Part 2

We left off when I was making an army.
24wa81t.png

The army-rebuilt

I defund my troops to fix my economy.
2xr4.png

2vil99u.png

Improved ecnomics after defunding my troops.

I also turn to Free Sunjects, I think.
Wow, these missionaries are doing well, even though they have low chances (I think another one was converted after theis screenshot)!
1zob05k.png

Converting them Greco-Romans...

I wait to get offered white peace from the Moors to start a war of my own. It comes.
k532gw.png

Peace!

I get an event which gives Persia (the minor south of Parthia, but who also has a border with me in the Middle East.)
nd7rx5.png

Oh noes (not really)!

I convert another province, which, supposedly, was a mission, and get another mission to attack Egypt (there is no way I'll follow through on it though, as their army is way more powerful then ours- also, we have other plans)
wk3hoy.png

xpy7oz.png

Ain't gonna happen...

I get a worthless event giving me a small amount of naval tradition.
2d94etl.png

Who cares...

Rome takes some land from Lombard...
2qb9o1t.png

Oh noes...

...No worries though, at least from Rome's perspective in terms of infamy... by enacting the "We are Pacifists" (which lasts a couple of years:rolleyes:), they now lose an extra 2 infamy a year!
2efl1ro.png

Rome now has immunity from infamy...

I prepare for war with Persia, who are allied with Parthia, so I can quickly grab their three territories in the middle East. But there's a problem: landings. So I exploit a bug in this mod: in the beginning of the game where there are only triremes, since they need to make their power microscopic to compare them to modern ships, when the triremes fight, absolutely no progress is made. So I took advantage of that and the fact that the Red Sea entering was so narrow, and placed a ship in each of the four seazones there, to block any Egyptian or foreign fleet from blocking the straits to and from the Middle East and East Africa(the screenshot shows the beginning of it).
29m9gqr.png

Now, I'm ready for war. I don't screenshot the declaring of war, but I do give you this. The sieges of all of their provinces are going on (and eventually won), while a static naval battle rages nearby.
jgh54y.png

The plan goes practical!

Intermission: Armenia annexes the Alans.
zmmkxy.png

Dat Armenia...

but there's a problem. When I take the provinces, the AI won't accept peace. But then I have an idea- I'd declared war with the colonial conquest CB, meaning they were considered "primitives." Does this mean that I could seize all of their provinces as if they were colonies? Yes!
2e1smes.png

auffop.png

mcds20.png

The Despotic Monarchy of Aksum grows!

As barbarians, we get events to get cores on all 3 of the provinces we've just gained.
1qgz7a.png

Instant cores FTW!

I get a new master of the mint to fix some economic issues associated with army maintenance.
14b29s.png

i2km7o.png

We can now mint more without getting inflation!

I am waiting impatiently for a Parthian offer for white peace (they wouldn't accept it if I offered it to them, even though it is trivial to figure out that the war is hopelessly a draw, unless they managed to get military access through Egypt, which, alas, the AI is usually too stupid to come up with), but it isn't coming. I was hoping for the automatic "white peace" event which happens if 5 years go in a war without actual combat. But then I remember the naval battle going on. To avoid a perpetual war, I dock up my ships, surrender the battle, and cross my fingers that I can fight off any invasions that come.
20iym1j.png

16h3zwz.png

Preparing for invasion...

Indeed the Parthian invasion comes (they were actually 7K cavalry)...
21lih5l.png

The yellow coats are coming!!!!!! The yellow coats are coming!!!!!!!!

I am too exhausted to show the sequence of what happened in a few more screenshots (maybe I'll update the post later), but long story short, while battling the Parthian invasion, my ruler dies, and I have to switch. Until then, this is PdoxNewbie, signing off.

Ill read this tomorrow and come with feedback. But, the link to this in your sig is broken, I would recommend fixing it.

Edit: Watch out for those Parthians! You should be able to win due to your large tech advantage.

Also, if you have information that you don't feel is important, don't bother putting it in the update.
Also X2, you should remove the spoilers from the posts, it doesn't really help anything :/

Last edited:
Interesting you say that, I've tried on my (mobile) browser to access this thread in many ways, and the browser crashed every time. But thanks for telling about the signature, as I'll fix that ASAP.

Edit: Watch out for those Parthians! You should be able to win due to your large tech advantage.
It would be interesting to see how I do, but alas, my king died right when it was beginning, and I have to switch nations.

Also, if you have information that you don't feel is important, don't bother putting it in the update.
Well, I thought I'd put a background of what was going on right before my king died.
Also X2, you should remove the spoilers from the posts, it doesn't really help anything :/
Well, the spoilers make it easier to scroll down to the bottom of the page when the page first loads...

Note: The game seems to be acting up on me. My game crashed while playing as the Sarmatians on July 1, and when I tried again from the January auto save, it crashed on February 1.

Ah, THAT problem.
Same thing happened to me during my very first AAR as Slovenia. I don't know if there is a fix for it in DW, but it doesn't hurt to look around.

Hope you can get that sorted out!

I think I'll try another mod- I am sick of this. This has happened to me way too many times.