Thread: Can you gain MC over a tribal nation that sits on a colony?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Can you gain MC over a tribal nation that sits on a colony?

Is it possible to gain MC over a tribal nation that sits on a colony without declaring war?

If I remember correctly, in my first single player game when this first came out, as U.S.A. I could gain MC over tribal nation lands (say, Cherokee for example) that sat on colonies going west. After some updates, is it now only possible to gain MC over tribal nations after you declare war first? Because in my latest single player game as Prussia, I am unable to gain MC on any places I land colonial troops. Of course, I can gain MC after I declare war on the tribal nation, but I don't want to, because I believe accepting peace with them just gives them all of their territory back, and I am unable to make full colonies yet (it's 1863, still before unification in my game), so will be in a state of war with them for a while, even though they don't have any territory they control anymore. Is this true for all colonial territories? Are there any colonies that you can gain MC over without declaring war on the tribal nation who already preside there? What makes the difference?

Also as a side note, how exactly do stakes work? Can you only play them if the other guy has a protectorate, and if they are successful what do they do, just cause a crisis?

Thanks for any help.
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting... but never hit soft."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSengokuPride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition

I do not know how stakes work.

However, MC is much easier. When you declare a protecterate, you get 5% MC. This increases by 5% each turn until you are over 50% and can then start building anchorages and forts which will help you get to colony status. Please note that you do not need to declare war.
    PoN Beta & Researcher
    The most significant event of the Twentieth Century will be the fact that the North Americans speak English.

Otto von Bismarck (1815-1898)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight

Ok sounds good to me, thanks Sgt Bash!
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting... but never hit soft."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSengokuPride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition

You are welcome. Also, when you declare a colony, the native tribal forces become part of your forces.
    PoN Beta & Researcher
    The most significant event of the Twentieth Century will be the fact that the North Americans speak English.

Otto von Bismarck (1815-1898)

There are also colonial cards which give you MC.
    „…to get back into gaming and remember the fun we had when we less voted and more played.”

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I have had a problem recently on my single player GBR file, I gained MC of the region of Misurata in the Ottoman protectorate of Libya, yet after I got this region through a peace deal, they continued to gain 5% increments of MC in the region from me as it was still technically their protectorate. I know it is probably my fault for having extended claims on and such, I'm just pointing it out to you guys.