• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GapingLotus

Second Lieutenant
86 Badges
May 15, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Just started playing CK2 again after a couple of months and went straight in with the CK2+ mod. There's a few more mods out now and just wondering how people like to play their game. Vanilla or with what mod?

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to go straight to a major mod and skip vanilla altogether, though obviously you're free to play however you wish. I played vanilla for a few weeks and had a great time, but over time noticed things I either didn't like or thought I could do better so I started playing my own slightly modified version of vanilla -- it's now a larger group of changes but still very much the vanilla game. CK II is awesome. :cool:

No mods. They slow down and crash the game and the larger mods are, the more unpolished and incomplete they feel. Occasionally I try one, and Balansegang, Game of Thrones and Bascilium Tribeum (Two latin words :p) were fun.

Either vanilla with BLC or CK2plus.

There's a lot I like better with CK2plus, but there's some things I think are worse than vanilla. I like the goal of slowing massive expansion, but some of the mechanics to achieve that are pretty heavy handed so they end up not really slowing expansion that much while becoming another painful annoyance to manage. So I swap back and forth based on my mood.

No one should ever play without BLC. It really brings the portraits to life and makes the game so much better. It's a cosmetic thing, but you feel the impact. I actually think it embarasses Paradox a bit because it demonstrates how generic and paltry their basic character portraits are and how badly they need to add variety. To design the amazing DNA system and then put everybody in the same helmet and suit of armor from King to courtier from Spain to Moskva is a little weak.

Most time I played CKPlus and can not live without some of their features. SWMH have a very nice map and lots of new well done culture (playing Bosnian at this time) and is a nice play also.
Some minor mods are very nice and adds lots of flavour and/or playability and could be used with major mods, like Ad Limina (a always checked option with vanilla or other mod) and Better Rebels Mod.
NAE have also a nice MAP and a well done design.
For low mid laptops Performance Mod is a very useful option.

Ck2+ :d

I use Syren's Culture Buildings mod so that letting my children handle their grandchildren's education doesn't run the risk of my culture buildings magically exploding when one of said grandchildren inherits.

I love the vanilla, my mods are just graphical (i specifically enjoy the Better Looking Characters mod), it adds darker skin tones for Mediterranean characters, black ones for east afrikaners and very good new clothes in addition.

Lot of vanillas and single-mod people here. I use my Cantrefi mod for Wales, a jury-rigged Friends&Foes 100 Traits Mod to include Better Rebels (I consided F&F pretty much essential now. Still working on making BetReb play nice with it), CK2 Heraldry (with a few choice flags removed), Mercator, and an unreleased mod of mine that splits the Scottish, French, Occitan, German and Italian cultures into smaller ones (as well as adding a few others here and there). Considering working in BLC when I have my cultures mod in a state where I wouldn't mind rehauling it to be compatible.

Last edited:
Vanilla with combination of Friends and Foes, Family Relations and BLC. Oh, and the expanded tooltips from Wiz's CK2+. So these are 'flavour and immersion' mods rather than major overhauls, looking for more depth in the character and relationship aspects. Once I feel I'm experienced enough at the main game I'll explore the major overhaul mods further - though I have looked at them and found much of their content beyond my level of need right now.

The ability to (carefully) mix in aspects from a few chosen mods is a real benefit.