+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sword of Islam - Dev Diary 1

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

I didn't pick up the first DLC but this one is a definite buy for me.
    'Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick-insect got stuck on a sticky bun' - Capt. E. Blackadder.

He who binds to himself a joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    But he who kisses the joy as it flies, Lives in eternity's sun rise. - William Blake

The Empire needs YOU.. Come and post something nice about my AAR. The House of Habsburg. Victoria Revolutions VIPR01. Winner of the WritAAR of the Week Award 13 January 2008.

Game Director Paradox Dev Team Doomdark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alerias View Post
    Wow you guys really went overboard with the Kingdoms in the East !! More Crowns to collect... gotta catch them all

But seriously, Kievan Rus is now mostly part of 'Ruthenia' instead of Rus, this is ODD. Kiev was definitely the center of the Rus in this time period, how can it not be part of Rus? Even worse, Rus is now half-centered in lands that were not properly Russified nor Christianized yet in 1066 (!)
    Yes, it's a bit odd, but calling the northern part Novgorod just doesn't feel right. The approach we're taking with de jure kingdoms is not actually what was considered de jure in 1066, but is designed to nudge the game along a more historical route.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k club

My god... The amount of changes... Sweet Jesus I need this DLC!
    Voltaire - "I would rather be ruled by one lion than by one hundred rats."

My Inkwell

Darkest HourVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWar of the Vikings

Can I ask, will you make cultural buildings for more cultures? (And, maybe, not only in the Castles, but in the Cities and Churches as well?)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    First off, we thought the southwest corner of the map looked a bit dull, so we added a bunch of new provinces down there, representing the flourishing civilizations of the Manden people; Ghana, Mali and Songhay. The area comes with historical rulers (of course) and a new West African culture group. The region is rich but hard to reach.
    Since you mention the West African culture group, I was wondering if tuareg culture is included?

Committed Anti-P'doxian Sleight of Hand's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by DamianGrim View Post
    Can I ask, will you make cultural buildings for more cultures? (And, maybe, not only in the Castles, but in the Cities and Churches as well?)
    Good point. One of the developers (Goose somebody?) said more would be added in future patches, as well as more nicknames.
    For awesome CK II graphical stuff please click here and here.

I'm currently working on my own set of semi-historical scenarios for CK II. ETA: Q1 '15.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourMajesty 2March of the EaglesSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Awesome, can't freaking wait to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    Yes, it's a bit odd, but calling the northern part Novgorod just doesn't feel right. The approach we're taking with de jure kingdoms is not actually what was considered de jure in 1066, but is designed to nudge the game along a more historical route.
    Oh I'll live. Might rename Ruthenia to "Kiev" in mine at least, though.

Thanks for breaking up the Kingdom of Byzantium in twain, looks good. In post-1st Crusade games, the high 'Crusade weight' on this often meant the Pope would be calling Crusades for Byzantium that actually only targeted a handful of Rum provinces in Anatolia... Will work much better with 'Crusades for Anatolia', not to mention, the Crusade weight on that ought to be lower than it is for Greece.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Sound really nice *thumps up*
    "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

douglas adams

Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Alerias View Post
    Oh I'll live. Might rename Ruthenia to "Kiev" in mine at least, though.
    What about Varangia? It's not perfect but the original Rus' were Varangians and it sort of makes sense for those northern Ugric/Rus'/Nordic territories between Karelia and Novgorod (which I agree doesn't sound right for a kingdom) -- I'm assuming the Russian Empire (Rus) is Ruthenia and Lithuania, so Varangia sounds good in there.

I may add that anyway.

I'm currently working on my own set of semi-historical scenarios for CK II. ETA: Q1 '15.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Great update,though to be honest I am not really a fan of the new empires. I really like the detail of the Sayyid and Mirza, it will be interesting try to interwine our dynasty with the one from the prophet, which reminds me are there matrilineal marriages in the muslim world?
    The Eternal State - a DH-KR Ottoman AAR - Dropped due to health reasons

Struggle for the Mediterranean - a BOR Punic War MP AAR
    - Dropped due to AGEOD leaving Paradox

One of these days I will actually finish an AAR

"Holy Roman Empire. Neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. But it doesn't have any oil so no reason for military intervention" -Voltaire.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Einigkeit View Post
    Britannia and Scandinavia, you say? Those were my first two games, even though those empires didn't exist until now. Now I'll have to go back and do it again. :/
    Why :/ ? Is it not a good thing?

I noticed that the West African culture character in the last shot, with a Mande culture, uses the arab portrait. Any chance this will be open for change? I would certainly pay for a African portrait DLC (after its released, just to be safe; don't wanna get burned again like on the Ruler DLC). Paradox, I don't know what you've got that graphic designer that did the Mongol DLC doing, but pay him money so we can pay you money.

Also, even if you're not expanding upon the Monophysites, are you going to incorporate some protection against Holy Wars for them?

Love the new kingdoms, PS. Particularly those in the Byzantine litoral. But not the new Empires; defeats the legal stance of the word.

Oh and Doomdark, please make sure the new de jure kingdoms have unique coats of arms. The kingdoms added in 1.05 still use their ducal arms which can be confusing and doesn't look very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallain View Post
    Why :/ ? Is it not a good thing?
    Sure, he just means he'll have to do it again because thats too awesome not to try.

Personally Ive modded in my own Empires a few times. I did a Scandinavian game where I created a custom Empire 'The North', 'in the North'. A GoT reference obviously And yes, it was fun, especially slowly integrating my kingdoms to this Titular title and seeing it becoming De Jure much later.

St. Divieto of Affissione Kuitenkin's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrider View Post
    Great update,though to be honest I am not really a fan of the new empires. I really like the detail of the Sayyid and Mirza, it will be interesting try to interwine our dynasty with the one from the prophet, which reminds me are there matrilineal marriages in the muslim world?
    I'm not sure I like the new empires either, especially Russia. At least I hope it can't co-exist with Byzantium.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuitenkin View Post
    I'm not sure I like the new empires either, especially Russia. At least I hope it can't co-exist with Byzantium.
    Yeah, I think given the time period they should rename the kingdom of Rus to something else and then have Rus as the de jure empire instead of Russia. Personally I don't think it needed to be split, but they've done it now so...

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

My main question is, will the monophysite situation be balanced? At the moment they always disappear within a few years and since I play on very hard I find it nearly impossible to play them.
    For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Kuitenkin View Post
    Yes. I think Spain and Persia are the only realistic empires in this. Russia only if it can't coexist with ERE. I really don't like Scandinavia or Brittania. I will delete them in my game.

Quote Originally Posted by Graspiloot View Post
    My main question is, will the monophysite situation be balanced? At the moment they always disappear within a few years and since I play on very hard I find it nearly impossible to play them.
    Doomdark said in his reply to my post that the religions/heresies setup hasn't been changed, so Monophysites will still probably get gang-raped by both Muslims and Christians.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 ... LastLast