+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has anyone ever seen AI Russia form?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    East India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Naval War: Arctic Circle
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordV2 Beta
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Click image for larger version

Name:	austriastrong.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	55192

In my current Jerusalem game is the first time I've seen them!

Defender of Denmark The Danish King's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

Hmm... Think i've seen it form .. once or twice. Can't remember the last time.
    Give us Skåne, Norway, Holstein, Iceland, Normandy, England, Estonia, Gotland, Eireland, Finland, the Scottish Isles, Kingdom of Jerusalem, Helgoland, Rockall, Newfoundland, Labrador and the U.S. Virgin Islands back!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III Collection
    Rome GoldVictoria 2

Nearly always in my games when I've played Sweden, and therefore I have even suspected that the AI is programmed to favor my immediate neighbours for challenge's sake.

Once I even saw Russia formed by Tver, that was because Muscowy lost an early war against them.
    "La republique n'a pas besoin des savants."

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Russia formed around 1530-40ish, was my biggest fear as Prussia for a while. Then it imploded spectacularly.

In fairness I think Eastern Europe needs reworking generally, it's frustrating to keep an empire intact over there. The few times I've played Russia the Steppes have been almost more trouble than they're worth because of the huge amounts of men you need to keep out there rebel hunting and the distance between the provinces. Very rarely is there any sort of eastern power, and when there is it's something like Trollhemia or the Habsblob, which don't really count.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyZeEmu View Post
    Russia formed around 1530-40ish, was my biggest fear as Prussia for a while. Then it imploded spectacularly.

In fairness I think Eastern Europe needs reworking generally, it's frustrating to keep an empire intact over there. The few times I've played Russia the Steppes have been almost more trouble than they're worth because of the huge amounts of men you need to keep out there rebel hunting and the distance between the provinces. Very rarely is there any sort of eastern power, and when there is it's something like Trollhemia or the Habsblob, which don't really count.
    Why do you have Terra Incognita in 1820?

Concerning the Eastern Europe comment, don't you think that's fairly historical for this time period?

I mean, think of the Hordes and the historical 'blobbing' of nations that collapsed, just like the real poland, for instance. The very topography invites invasion, which doesn't seem to help.
    "A man does not have himself killed for a half pence a day, or for a petty distinction. You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him."

~Napoleon Bonaparte~

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

The TI is because I switched to Russia and I tend to set map spread to 100 or 200 years as an attempt to create more realistic colonisation. It hasn't worked yet, alas.

And yeah, eastern Europe generally was pretty bad, but I'd like to at least see a strong Russia or Poland or Lithuania or something in even half of my games. As it is it is, Eastern Europe and Russia especially tends to become an annoying mess of minor states.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
    Funny, in my games I see GB almost each time as well but the behaviour is exactly the opposite: they typically steamroll Ireland and Scotland in the first century of the game, usually even the first couple of decades. Then they either proceed to become one of the leading powers for the rest of the game or get pummeled by another major country (France foremost) and never recover.

The alternate history aspect of EU - esp. when compared to other players' experiences - never ceases to amuse me
    Europa Universalis - Total war XD

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyZeEmu View Post

Poland and Lithuania are not in the map as usual... err as history dictates.

Back from moderation hell midget_roxx's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Here's me playing England and here is monster Russia:

Why do you have Terra Incognita in 1820?
    You can turn off land discoveries and it can be quite helpful when you're a colonising power and want to keep your CoTs all to yourself

I've seen it happen exactly once, in the very first game I ever played. The Union of Kalmar had inherited Muscovy via royal marriage, and *immediately* the locals were thoroughly unhappy over the matter, and started rebelling. Novgorod wound up snapping up the rebelling territories one by one after that. It took a while, but Russia was whole (minus Yaroslavl) by about 1760.

It did help that the Horde wasn't able to do terribly much to them by that point. Something happened in the early 1500s to drive a wedge between them and the Ottomans, IIRC, and then Austria or someone called for crusades to the East in between periodic attacks on Morocco.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Smolensk formed them in my current game actually. I think it's about the 3rd most common one I see after GB and Spain. I've never seen Scandinavia form even when Sweden goes on one. I've also never seen Italy form. Didn't see Prussia for a long time at first in my games but now they form every game.

I usually see Prussia but only as a one or two province minor forming from the Teutonic Order.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Slym View Post
    I usually see Prussia but only as a one or two province minor forming from the Teutonic Order.
    Prussia always forms if Teutonic Order survives until 1500.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Dron22 View Post
    Prussia always forms if Teutonic Order survives until 1500.
    But ussualy it gots discard it hands and legs by poland/bohemia/denmark/novgorod/lithuania + every single opm that is allied to them, sometimes in a combo of them all, and their mother. Realy, in my games it happens frequently.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

I've seen it form quite regularly, actually - 6-7 games out of 10. The problem is, it ALWAYS implodes. There's nothing you can do: those long-distance Siberian provinces kill the nation every single time.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by WeissRaben View Post
    I've seen it form quite regularly, actually - 6-7 games out of 10. The problem is, it ALWAYS implodes. There's nothing you can do: those long-distance Siberian provinces kill the nation every single time.
    See, that's the thing. In my Novgorod ---> Russia game, I was very concious of those pesky Hordes. I just don't think the AI is capable of managing that. The real suck of it for me, was that because my Eastern frontier was in Siberia, it would take months just to get an army across. So incessant rebels and Hordes spawning in and crossing your borders respectively makes the attrition-blind AI unable to manage its armies effectively. The attrition in winter Siberia is pretty nasty, too.

I don't think I've ever seen AI Russia form, but I've never played a Grand Campaign through the 1600s.
    "A man does not have himself killed for a half pence a day, or for a petty distinction. You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him."

~Napoleon Bonaparte~

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelsoldner View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen AI Russia form, but I've never played a Grand Campaign through the 1600s.
    Yes, it DOES take the AI some time - I've seen it form as late as 1790.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2