• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
austriastrong.jpg

In my current Jerusalem game is the first time I've seen them!

Hmm... Think i've seen it form .. once or twice. Can't remember the last time.

Nearly always in my games when I've played Sweden, and therefore I have even suspected that the AI is programmed to favor my immediate neighbours for challenge's sake.

Once I even saw Russia formed by Tver, that was because Muscowy lost an early war against them.

Russia formed around 1530-40ish, was my biggest fear as Prussia for a while. Then it imploded spectacularly.

2012-06-01_00001.jpg

In fairness I think Eastern Europe needs reworking generally, it's frustrating to keep an empire intact over there. The few times I've played Russia the Steppes have been almost more trouble than they're worth because of the huge amounts of men you need to keep out there rebel hunting and the distance between the provinces. Very rarely is there any sort of eastern power, and when there is it's something like Trollhemia or the Habsblob, which don't really count.

Russia formed around 1530-40ish, was my biggest fear as Prussia for a while. Then it imploded spectacularly.

2012-06-01_00001.jpg

In fairness I think Eastern Europe needs reworking generally, it's frustrating to keep an empire intact over there. The few times I've played Russia the Steppes have been almost more trouble than they're worth because of the huge amounts of men you need to keep out there rebel hunting and the distance between the provinces. Very rarely is there any sort of eastern power, and when there is it's something like Trollhemia or the Habsblob, which don't really count.

Why do you have Terra Incognita in 1820?

Concerning the Eastern Europe comment, don't you think that's fairly historical for this time period? :)

I mean, think of the Hordes and the historical 'blobbing' of nations that collapsed, just like the real poland, for instance. The very topography invites invasion, which doesn't seem to help.

The TI is because I switched to Russia and I tend to set map spread to 100 or 200 years as an attempt to create more realistic colonisation. It hasn't worked yet, alas.

And yeah, eastern Europe generally was pretty bad, but I'd like to at least see a strong Russia or Poland or Lithuania or something in even half of my games. As it is it is, Eastern Europe and Russia especially tends to become an annoying mess of minor states.

Funny, in my games I see GB almost each time as well but the behaviour is exactly the opposite: they typically steamroll Ireland and Scotland in the first century of the game, usually even the first couple of decades. Then they either proceed to become one of the leading powers for the rest of the game or get pummeled by another major country (France foremost) and never recover.

The alternate history aspect of EU - esp. when compared to other players' experiences - never ceases to amuse me :)

Europa Universalis - Total war XD

2012-06-01_00001.jpg

Poland and Lithuania are not in the map as usual... err as history dictates.

Here's me playing England and here is monster Russia:
EU3_MAP_GBR_1821125_1.jpg

Why do you have Terra Incognita in 1820?
You can turn off land discoveries and it can be quite helpful when you're a colonising power and want to keep your CoTs all to yourself

I've seen it happen exactly once, in the very first game I ever played. The Union of Kalmar had inherited Muscovy via royal marriage, and *immediately* the locals were thoroughly unhappy over the matter, and started rebelling. Novgorod wound up snapping up the rebelling territories one by one after that. It took a while, but Russia was whole (minus Yaroslavl) by about 1760.

It did help that the Horde wasn't able to do terribly much to them by that point. Something happened in the early 1500s to drive a wedge between them and the Ottomans, IIRC, and then Austria or someone called for crusades to the East in between periodic attacks on Morocco.

Smolensk formed them in my current game actually. I think it's about the 3rd most common one I see after GB and Spain. I've never seen Scandinavia form even when Sweden goes on one. I've also never seen Italy form. Didn't see Prussia for a long time at first in my games but now they form every game.

I've seen it form quite regularly, actually - 6-7 games out of 10. The problem is, it ALWAYS implodes. There's nothing you can do: those long-distance Siberian provinces kill the nation every single time.

I've seen it form quite regularly, actually - 6-7 games out of 10. The problem is, it ALWAYS implodes. There's nothing you can do: those long-distance Siberian provinces kill the nation every single time.

See, that's the thing. In my Novgorod ---> Russia game, I was very concious of those pesky Hordes. I just don't think the AI is capable of managing that. The real suck of it for me, was that because my Eastern frontier was in Siberia, it would take months just to get an army across. So incessant rebels and Hordes spawning in and crossing your borders respectively makes the attrition-blind AI unable to manage its armies effectively. The attrition in winter Siberia is pretty nasty, too.

I don't think I've ever seen AI Russia form, but I've never played a Grand Campaign through the 1600s.