• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dron22

Colonel
17 Badges
Jan 15, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
I don't think I have ever seen Russia form, except in one game where I played as Teutonic Order and I beat up Poland and Lithuania a lot, which must have allowed Muscowy to focus on the Golden Hoard and survive.

In my current game as Malacca they formed just fine. No interference on my part. Vanilla game by the by

Edit: Formed from Morum (or however that is spelled) which is a bit odd

Last edited:
Yeah, I've only seen Russia form once independtly and that was not until the 1600's. As the others say GB & Scandanavia seem to pop up a lot. Even more unusual though I saw an independent Italy form and thought that was rather noteworthy.

Russian minors are in the hardest spot, in order to form Russia they must not only acquire and maintain lots of provinces over vast area, they also need to either outlive or beat large neighbours holding key provinces that they need in order to enact the decision.

Dishearthened by the lack of Russia in vanilla i even created my own mod centered mostly around Eastern Europe in order to change the balance of powers.

I've seen a Polotsk meet the requirements...but they are Belorussian so they can't form Russia. :( (which makes no sense really)

Never seen Scandinavia in any of my games though, Sweden always gets close but generally gets dogpiled by England, Castille and Burgundy before it can get the cores. The only country that I've seen formed by the AI that was sort of rare was Ireland. Malaya also appeared in that game but that was from a revolt...

Well, in my current poland game, despite being my enemy, novgorod, has most of the provinces needed, they only need smolensk(owned by me, so unless they will become stronger than me, it is unlikely for russia to form XD) and moscow(which they already got cored, but it is owned by moscow, still moscow will propably get eaten by them, as because they betrayed me, i do no longer care if they get eaten). Still none AI russia in my game, but in some, there were some nations close to forming it.

So it appears, what helps forming russia is weak golden horde(in my game, they are now getting occupied by novgorod, while I just keep crimea)

I don't think I have ever seen Russia form, except in one game where I played as Teutonic Order and I beat up Poland and Lithuania a lot, which must have allowed Muscowy to focus on the Golden Hoard and survive.

No, never.

Weird, I've seen Russia form numerous times.
I wouldn't go as far as to say half of my games but definitely at least one out of four. It's always Muscovy that does it too: they typically (in no particular order) annex the neighbouring minor powers, grab a chunk of a crumbling Lithuania/Ukraine, beat up Novogrod a bit and eventually convert to Russia.

Haven't ever seen Spain though, despite numerous massive Castilles and virtually non-existing Aragons. I've admittedly played beyond the 17th century only once as I tend to get totally bored of my country by that point.

Ive seen a few Russias, not super common for me but in my current France game Moscow is getting pretty close, Novgorod is the last province they need and the nation has been an OPM for a while now. I see GB in like 75% of my games, usually whats been happening is England gets steamrolled in the 100 years wars, is forced to give up Wales and Cornwall and any other country they have, then Scotland invades. If England recovers, they are usually able to roll there way into forming GB pretty regularly. Spain Ive never seen, nor and Scandinavia only once (it QUICKLY fell apart). Ireland has increasingly become a common man in my games, since England is usually tied up in the aforementioned getting ripped up.

I see GB in like 75% of my games, usually whats been happening is England gets steamrolled in the 100 years wars, is forced to give up Wales and Cornwall and any other country they have, then Scotland invades. If England recovers, they are usually able to roll there way into forming GB pretty regularly.
Funny, in my games I see GB almost each time as well but the behaviour is exactly the opposite: they typically steamroll Ireland and Scotland in the first century of the game, usually even the first couple of decades. Then they either proceed to become one of the leading powers for the rest of the game or get pummeled by another major country (France foremost) and never recover.

The alternate history aspect of EU - esp. when compared to other players' experiences - never ceases to amuse me :)