Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Damn Ugly borders

Damn Ugly borders

Hey folks.

Is there any way to get the computer to not derp around and annex any weird and out-of-the-way province? I hate the fact that every game I play, europe looks like abstract art. Why is the game unable to make more logical borders? Mods perhaps?

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    How about a clean border AI DLC.
    "Our officers of cavalry have acquired a trick of galloping at everything. They never consider the situation, never think of manoeuvring before an enemy, and never keep back or provide a reserve."

"I didnít want to change society. I wanted to give society a chance to determine if it should change itself."

"Jeszcze będzie przepięknie."

what does it do? I mean how? Like to know how I'm affecting the game

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Mods are really your best bet. D&T, MEIOU and MPM all seem to offer significant improvements on the vanilla borders.

How about a clean border AI DLC.
    I'd buy that, if there ever was one
    Reasons Why You Should Play Any Character in CK2
    -----------------
    Current playthrough(s): Tibet, 1444 (EU4)

Generalolaf is right. I play Death and Taxes myself, and the AI tends to spread itself rather than conquer faraway, isolated provinces. I'm not sure about MEIOU and MPM, but be sure to check them out.
    How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol hordes got bored?

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I rather like it.
    It's more historically accurate; if you look at any medieval map, many european monarchs controlled non-contiguous territory. Usually not for very long, either. Look at the House of Wittelsbach, or even Habsburg holdings.

Kinda annoying when you're looking for that last rogue province at the end of a war, but snaky countries make for an easy slice-and-dice.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

As MPM creator i can tell you that my mod does not change AI behavior, thats impossible since all AI logic is hardcodded. What i can do, and have done actually, was to rebalance the whole badboy mechanic so that combined with many changed CBs AI is strongly hinted (or guided?) toward expanding what human player might consider "good looking" or logical.

Mostly the problem in vanilla occurs as a combination of couple of factors:
    1.) countries have too big badboy pool too early
    2.) countries have access to CBs that reduce both badboy and war score cost of provinces "in depth", meaning you get the same bonus for all enemy provinces regardless of where they are.
    3.) CB's set up which makes AI favor annexation over all other options, usually despite being very close to badboy limit

For example, by adding check within various CB code, that only applies normal CB province bonuses (lower BB cost, lower war cost etc) for enemy provinces that are your NEIGHBOUR, i was able to somewhat persuade the AI to expand by "walling" its own provinces with the ones it annexes, otherwise, it takes the full badboy cost, which combined with rebalanced badboy pool means VERY slow expansion (about 1-2, 3 MAX provinces before youre over BB limit).

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Blodstyrtning View Post
    Hey folks.

Is there any way to get the computer to not derp around and annex any weird and out-of-the-way province? I hate the fact that every game I play, europe looks like abstract art. Why is the game unable to make more logical borders? Mods perhaps?
    Add a line in settings.txt:

# player_ocd=yes
    Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death .... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. Bertrand Russell

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post

# player_ocd=yes
    LOL!

Yeah those borders look fine to me. Frankly, my own borders can get pretty patchy, since I hate acquiring poor quality territory, which you often are forced to take if you want continuous territory.
    Tips on achieving EPIC trade league dominance
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ague-Dominance

My current research into Trade Good Supply, Demand, and Pricing Changes:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...rice-over-time

Droll. Very droll Mr. Moderator. Can't take a little criticism of you wonderful but less then perfect game?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post

# player_ocd=yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurblius View Post
    LOL!

Yeah those borders look fine to me. Frankly, my own borders can get pretty patchy, since I hate acquiring poor quality territory, which you often are forced to take if you want continuous territory.
    Droll. Very droll Mr. Moderator. Can't take a little criticism of you wonderful but less then perfect game?
    What does it do? I am too lazy to find it out myself....
    "Don't start a fight when there is nothing to win."
    - Erwin Rommel, The "Desertfox"

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchemperor View Post
    What does it do? I am too lazy to find it out myself....
    Can't tell if trolling..

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Some people have a sense of humour
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    Some people have a sense of humour
    Admin's using humor shows a lack of proffesionalism, it needs to be stamped out at once.

sarcasm
    WritAAR of the Week, 5th of March, 2012
    Best Character Writer of the Week, 18th of March, 2012
    Trying to find a way to write a narrative-based AAR without it becoming tedious.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

Yeah, right, your cutting critique hurt me to the quick. If only we'd had you and your design ideas on our team earlier, EU3 might have been a success.
    Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death .... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. Bertrand Russell

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty 2March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I've spent hours working on trying to get the AI to expand better (as in focusing on their own culture group, not taking provinces that have no land or coastal access, taking large swaths of contiguous land in the new world instead of sporadic colonies) with limited success. I have no idea how the mods could have fixed it.
    Principalities mod for EU4: Not all monarchies should be kingdoms. Adds principalities (outside of HRE,) duchies (inside of HRE) and counties (inside of HRE.)
    Election mod for EU4: You no longer choose your elected ruler, your citizens do.
    Fixed Karelia for EU4: Fixes the map in Northern Finland/Russia.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Taiisatai64 View Post
    Admin's using humor shows a lack of proffesionalism, it needs to be stamped out at once.

sarcasm
    He is a volunteer mod here on the forums. Us mods are not paid by Paradox. We do this in our free time.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    He is a volunteer mod here on the forums. Us mods are not paid by Paradox. We do this in our free time.
    You reply as if I were serious
    WritAAR of the Week, 5th of March, 2012
    Best Character Writer of the Week, 18th of March, 2012
    Trying to find a way to write a narrative-based AAR without it becoming tedious.

Relax AndrewT. Just kidding. No need to get all wound up

Europa Universalis IV

Talisatai, I'm completely with you. I wandered into this thread hoping to see somebody complain about an unfixable "problem", but what do I get? Off-topic conversation from the very moderators that we trust to keep these forums clean and safe! It's a disgrace to the profession of moderation! If these moderators have any sense of decency left in them, then they should step down immediately!

As a member of these forums there is a simple acronym that we should all should follow in order to be good Paradoxians. WWJD? That's right. "What Would Johan Do?". Moderators, please, follow this creed and do the right thing.

Dramatic theatre provided by Yammka Productions.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast