Thread: Question about tracking.

Question about tracking.

Is there anyway to raise the charge on tracks? Or decrease the rate it drains?

Am I SOL if the charge drains from 10 to 0 before I can find the perpetuators claim?

Colonel

Depending on the crime commited you can keep collecting clues to gain more charges (until the exclamation marks dissapear). Other than that, if you run out of charges you are indeed SOL.

Sergeant

You could always walk for (x) number of hours until you either find the claim (you somehow get mad lucky in a few hours walk) or miss by hair trigger from tree/forest dodging and hit unendurable darkness!! How awesome is that?!?!?!

Captain

I have another question about tracking...hope OP doesn't mind.

I remember in one of Jorb's videos, him saying something about an ancestor or kin of the victim can see and track the scent. I don't think this is the case now being that I have seen scents that were not of my kinned nor my ancestor. So does anyone know if this will change in the future or will scents always be seen by anyone? I really liked the idea of only kinned or ancestors of the victim seeing them. That way not every crazy killer can get scents and randomly hunt people down without having any idea of a back story. Like if players were testing things with each other for example.
    Last edited by JinxDevona; 01-06-2012 at 15:08.
    "It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war." ~John F. Kennedy

AFAIK, scents are traceable by everyone....
    (I've even found some random ones myself from corpses)

Captain

I know that scents are trackable by everyone. That was not my question.
    "It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war." ~John F. Kennedy

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by JinxDevona View Post
    I know that scents are trackable by everyone. That was not my question.
    You are asking if you can stop a vigilante group of players disbursing their own kind of justice for every random scent they find around Boston or elsewhere by restricting who can pick up scents for a crime.
    "A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

The King of Portugal and the Algarves in "Et cetera: The Justice League Fails Again"
    The King of Spain in "Primus Inter Pares III: The Spanish Betrayal"
    The Padishah of the Ottoman Empire in "Ab Igne Ignem Capere: The Destruction of France"
    The Original Sultan of Morocco in "Time of Reckoning: Of Diplomacy, Empire and Intrigue"

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by BulMaster View Post
    You are asking if you can stop a vigilante group of players disbursing their own kind of justice for every random scent they find around Boston or elsewhere by restricting who can pick up scents for a crime.
    He was asking if it's intended that scences can be tracked by everyone. And I hope it is.
    If you want to always be right,
    you need to always be prepared to change your mind.

Vigilante scent tracking sounds amazing.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by BulMaster View Post
    No that is not what I am asking. I really wish people would read full posts. Jorb said in a video that one's ancestor or those from one's kin list would be able to see scents. I would like to know if he decided to drop that idea and it is intended that everyone see them for good, or if he plans to still have them only be seen by ancestors/kinned in future. (I did not ask that they be restricted, just wondering if he changed his mind or still has it in mind)

@sils.. not he...lol.
    Last edited by JinxDevona; 01-06-2012 at 23:34.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV

No that is not what I am asking. I really wish people would read full posts. Jorb said in a video that one's ancestor or those from one's kin list would be able to see scents. I would like to know if he decided to drop that idea and it is intended that everyone see them for good, or if he plans to still have them only be seen by ancestors/kinned in future. (I did not ask that they be restricted, just wondering if he changed his mind or still has it in mind)

@sils.. not he...lol.
    Everyone sees them. Otherwise new players who don't know anyone yet will just get slaughtered with no repercussions. I mean they will get slaughtered anyway, but with the off chance of vigilante justice if anyone can see scents. Also the rangers won't be able to do the slaughter for hire deal.
    "A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

The King of Portugal and the Algarves in "Et cetera: The Justice League Fails Again"
    The King of Spain in "Primus Inter Pares III: The Spanish Betrayal"
    The Padishah of the Ottoman Empire in "Ab Igne Ignem Capere: The Destruction of France"
    The Original Sultan of Morocco in "Time of Reckoning: Of Diplomacy, Empire and Intrigue"

Captain

I'm asking if the devs changed their mind or will still implement it in the future. I'm not trying to start a debate on whether it should be or not. I just wanted to know if the devs were still going to do what they stated in the video. I guess it hasn't been discussed in IRC or the such so most likely only the devs know.

Not that your points are not good ones and I'm sure I have good points myself, but I just don't want to start debating over something that might not ever be...lol. Just curious as to their intentions on it now.

Tracking is currently all but useless IMHO. With the immense distances involved with the games map size and the lack of fast travel that Haven has (Boats and x-roads) this system just doesn't transfer. maybe when boats and horses get added but even then, we are talking HUGE distances. For example. From the darkness to the west to my settlement then to Boston is a literal 5 hour jog (In Wander mode). That's 5 REALTIME hours.
    "The beatings will continue until moral improves."

I'm asking if the devs changed their mind or will still implement it in the future. I'm not trying to start a debate on whether it should be or not. I just wanted to know if the devs were still going to do what they stated in the video. I guess it hasn't been discussed in IRC or the such so most likely only the devs know.

Not that your points are not good ones and I'm sure I have good points myself, but I just don't want to start debating over something that might not ever be...lol. Just curious as to their intentions on it now.
    If the video presented the feature in the way you presented it in your previous posts, then there is nothing incompatable between the video and the ability of everyone to see the scents: one way of allowing kin or a decendent to see the scents is to allow everyone to see them. It would help if you could find a link to that video so we could more tightly parse the original statement to see if anything has actually changed.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Thorke View Post
    If the video presented the feature in the way you presented it in your previous posts, then there is nothing incompatable between the video and the ability of everyone to see the scents: one way of allowing kin or a decendent to see the scents is to allow everyone to see them. It would help if you could find a link to that video so we could more tightly parse the original statement to see if anything has actually changed.
    It was either the really long one that had mining in it or the witchcraft video. It's not important though, was just curious.