• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Unclejimbo

Private
59 Badges
Jun 21, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
The Brutes of Hereford County

Prologue:

The sun dawned over the castle of Hereford.

It was the day after Christmas, the year 1070. It had been 4 years since William the Conqueror was crowned King of England. William de Crepon, 1st Count of Hereford, was enjoying a quiet day of rest. The servants were all with their families, having the day off since they'd all had to wait William's household the previous day. He'd sent them small gifts, and food leftover from the previous night's feast as a token of appreciation. As a man who never fully believed in the Catholic faith, Christmas was less of a religious holiday to William, and more of a day of feasting. Ever since the great invasion, it seemed as if feasts were becoming less common. Those days, every great battle fought had a feast waiting at the end, and some new foe to be vanquished the next day. William let out a sigh. While he was content with the two two castles he'd been given to lord over by King William, he almost wished sometimes that there were more battles to be fought. While never on the same level of martial skill as his liege, William always proved a reliable commander, a man adept at leading his knights, and a man adept at personal combat as well. Perhaps The Conqueror could be convinced to fight another war? Of course, that would require influence in the court, something Count William was lacking at the moment. Perhaps his Marshall would be able to convince him - or perhaps William could cut out the middleman and become the Marshall of England himself? That was an idea worth pursuing. A smile on his face, and a newly found desire in his heart, William looked out the window of his castle at the sunrise. There was planning to be done, and there'd probably be some scheming too, before this all was over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, a messenger from the King's court arrived at the gates of Castle Hereford. According to the message, it seemed that after a Christmastime rest, the King was back to work administering the realm, and apparently up to quite a bit. William had the messenger read out the news of the realm in his hall. Having this done without previewing the message was a sign of confidence, but could also be harmful. Good news in front of the court made William look better; a leader worth serving. Bad news, however, was best read in private.

The first item of news was Duke Eadwin I of Lancaster, a charismatic Saxon who'd somehow retained power following the invasion, had been named England's Seneschal. William, of course, having fought the Saxons less than a decade ago, was slightly opposed to their being given power and titles over their Norman lords, but, on the other hand, he was not one to openly question the decisions of his liege. 3 new counts were created, likely to ease the burden of direct administration on the King. The last bit of news though, was what William was most surprised at; apparently, he'd been chosen by the King himself to be given the castle of Gloucester, and the lands surrounding it to govern. This would extend his Demesne's southern border to the sea, and would come with it's own port, allowing William increased trade, as well as the ability to sail his army to distant shores should the need arise. William was now on the level of a Duke in power, and only lacking an actual title to be one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next few weeks were rather uneventful. The year became 1071, and what little snows dotted the landscape became less. The King made himself Duke of Oxford in January, and life went on as usual. The news bringing the most joy to Count William, however, was that his liege made it publicly known that he wished to win another war at some point in the future. This meant first fighting a war, and William was not quite to old to taste battle again. The fact that his eldest son was almost of age meant that he could do so without fear of damage to his legacy. The time was coming when being Marshall would mean a lot more than it did in the current peace, and William intended to hold the baton when that time came.

Notes:
This is my first attempt at an AAR after months of lurking forums and playing the game, so any and all feedback is appreciated, especially tips from other AAR writers. Perhaps this is my first step at becoming a regular poster?

As for notes on the actual AAR, first off I'm playing CK2+ since I'm absolutely in love with the mod. I picked William on a bit of a whim, since I enjoy playing a Count. The year was also a rather arbitrary choice, since I fast-forwarded 4 years from the William the Conqueror bookmark to a period in time at which the selection of counts to play as was better. From where I left off, a little over a month into the game, I plan on working towards becoming Marshall, and saving the gold needed to create that Duke title that's waiting at the top of the screen. My plans for future characters are as the AAR's title implies: focus on the Martial aspects when making decisions and educating. Probably not the best for keeping a realm from shattering, but it likely helps in putting it back together.

As for updates, I'm probably gonna try to put out 2 per week, although the days aren't decided yet, but will probably establish themselves as time goes on. Expect Screenshots with the next update.

Sorry I skipped the notes when I wrote the comment :p It answered all my questions.

But anyway I like the way it looks so far, sometimes the story based AARs are fun to read, look forward to reading more of what happens to your Count of Hereford though!

I'm excited about this as i come from hereford the city it's self. The home of Bulmers and Strongbow cider, the SAS, Hereford Bulls, Tyrells crisps, the law of shooting a welshman in the cathedral grounds if its on a sunday, the Mappa Mundi yes that one and the chained library. We are primarly a rural county but we in the medieval period we more important as a safe guard against welsh aggression. My suggestion is to claim and take as much of wales as possible and expand from there.

Argh. I updated CKs+, and like a fool deleted the old version. Unfortunately this means my save no longer works, and as a result, this AAR is dead before it even started. The good news is, I'll be starting another AAR, but not likely with the same character.

Apologies.