• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Torf the Great

Sergeant
10 Badges
Feb 20, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • BATTLETECH
I don't know if this has been proposed before but I wish that familial politics played a bigger role in this game. The existing methods to view your dynasty are pretty pointless and difficult to navigate when you do use them. The role of 'head of the dynasty' means very little and being a fellow dynasty member also doesn't seem to matter much. In a game that focuses on advancing your dynastic prestige this seems like an important oversight. It will probably be improved upon in later expansions/patches, I suppose, but I don't hear many people talk about it so i just wanted to bring it up.

Here's a list of things I'd like to see added or improved upon:

• Improved dynasty/family tree view pages
  • Cadet branches
  • Competition between main and cadet branches
  • Increased cooperation between rulers within the same dynasty
  • De Jure and de facto branch heads (maybe determined by rank and popularity respectively)
  • Decisions about marriages, involvement in wars, granting of titles, etc. need approval by the branch head
  • Lots of other stuff I can't think of

I don't know, what do you guys think?

I don't know if this has been proposed before but I wish that familial politics played a bigger role in this game. The existing methods to view your dynasty are pretty pointless and difficult to navigate when you do use them. The role of 'head of the dynasty' means very little and being a fellow dynasty member also doesn't seem to matter much. In a game that focuses on advancing your dynastic prestige this seems like an important oversight. It will probably be improved upon in later expansions/patches, I suppose, but I don't hear many people talk about it so i just wanted to bring it up.

Here's a list of things I'd like to see added or improved upon:

• Improved dynasty/family tree view pages
  • Cadet branches
  • Competition between main and cadet branches
  • Increased cooperation between rulers within the same dynasty
  • De Jure and de facto branch heads (maybe determined by rank and popularity respectively)
  • Decisions about marriages, involvement in wars, granting of titles, etc. need approval by the branch head
  • Lots of other stuff I can't think of

I don't know, what do you guys think?

One thing I agree with, is Cadet Branches. Wanted this since release. I'm positive they'll add it one day, but we can only hope. Though I'm not sure what you mean by De Jure branch heads? Do you mean a certain family line, is de jure king of, say, England?

Though I'm not sure what you mean by De Jure branch heads? Do you mean a certain family line, is de jure king of, say, England?[/QUOTE]

It's sort of complicated and I'm not sure if I know what I mean, but it basically just means that there is the person who is the highest ranking member of the branch and then another who is held in highest respect or understood to be in charge. It seems like most of the time the two would be one in the same but if they weren't it could be interesting.

Though I'm not sure what you mean by De Jure branch heads? Do you mean a certain family line, is de jure king of, say, England?

It's sort of complicated and I'm not sure if I know what I mean, but it basically just means that there is the person who is the highest ranking member of the branch and then another who is held in highest respect or understood to be in charge. It seems like most of the time the two would be one in the same but if they weren't it could be interesting.[/QUOTE]
I think what he means is that the de jure head is most likely the head of the senior branch while the de facto head is the head of a junior/cadet branch that's more powerful than the senior branch

It's sort of complicated and I'm not sure if I know what I mean, but it basically just means that there is the person who is the highest ranking member of the branch and then another who is held in highest respect or understood to be in charge. It seems like most of the time the two would be one in the same but if they weren't it could be interesting.
I think what he means is that the de jure head is most likely the head of the senior branch while the de facto head is the head of a junior/cadet branch that's more powerful than the senior branch[/QUOTE]

Not exactly. It's not at all an important part of this list and I now wish I hadn't included it but basically it just means that there is the person who holds the highest title and they are the de facto branch head but then there MIGHT be another person who holds more power within the dynasty, though not without.

There is a head_of_dynasty on the family tree, but I don't think that you can do anything with it as far as events are concerned. Maybe in the future.

For example, for the Jimena dynasty, the head of the dynasty is the King of Navarra, even though he holds only one county. Because he is the direct male heir of the oldest branch of the family. For the Capets, it works out that it is the King of France in 1066. And for smaller dynasties not so complicated. But there should be events to mediate in a war between dynasty members, that sort of thing.

I'm not so crazy about cadet lines, unless a cadet line can inherit without causing the game to end. Such again the Capets. If Philippe I and his brother both die before producing a valid heir, the crown passes to the House of Burgundy, which is a legitimate line but has a different dynasty name. I found about that the hard way, more than once. :)

You can up the same_dynasty bonus in /common/opinion_modifiers.txt for easier relations between titleholders of the same dynasty. Easy fix, but there should be more features to handle that kind of thing.

Keep the ideas flowing. :)

Yeah I like the idea of an improved way to view your dynasty tree. Once you get say 300 living members the Dynasty tree is just inoperable from my experience. Which makes it hard to find out where people are and where they came from.

I like the idea of Cadet branches just have no idea how it could possibly be implemented in game. Maybe a hyphenated name say Capet - (nonesuch). That way it still ties into your prestige as a family.

Before I never really got the point of a cadet branch but in my latest play through as the de Forez's I have one branch as the Kings of Burgundy France and many other places (literally seven kingdoms), then one branch as the Kings of Norway, and another branch as the Emperors of the ERE. So I could definitely see them splitting into cadet branches. Maybe taking on a Norwegian type of name and then a Greek type of name perhaps. Since the ERE emperors nailed that throne by marrying the female Empress of the Komnenos family perhaps their Cadet branch name could be Forez-Komnenos.

But still not sure how it could be properly implemented in game, but I'm sure the guys that know how to mod and program and the wizards at PI would be able to make it happen.

A better dynasty view interface is a great idea - right now it borders on unusable.

I'm not so sure about the "head of the dynasty". Do you mean that the head should have some kind of power over the rest of the dynasty's familial interactions, for instance setting rules on who they can and can't marry? I dunno, that sounds very unlikely. I mean, if I'm King of France and the head of my dynasty is the Count of Blois or somesuch, am I really going to let him tell me who I can marry despite the vast rift in terms of prestige, money and (should it come to that) arms? I can't think of any historical scenario where this kind of thing happened.

As for cadet branches it'd be great flavour but would it really make any mechanical difference? I suppose it'd be nice to have slightly different CoAs and names for the various branches of a great family but it'd have little impact on gameplay, so I can definitely see why they dropped it.

What I would really like (although it's not directly related, but still a big deal) is an overhaul of the CoAs. Why they have so many pastel colours, I've no idea. I'd love to be able to change the colour of some of the design elements, too - why does a bull have to be red, or a grail yellow?