+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Live Stream Discussion

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hulahuga View Post
    They should use cooler camera angles, more pauses, more close-ups, more superfluous drama
    Perhaps they will, we'll have to wait for E3.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Quote Originally Posted by Baynard View Post
    Perhaps they will, we'll have to wait for E3.
    Here's to hoping, but in the meantime I still have my questions to be answered, and probably many more as we go

Will there be siege machines and similar weapon emplacements, such as ballista, mangonels and scorpions?

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

Quote Originally Posted by SirAgmund View Post
    One thing I noticed is how fast everything was. Sure fast paced combat is cool, but, it looks far to fast to be able to fight with ranged weaponry. This coming from someone who rarely plays an archer of any kind, it just looks too easy to close the distance with them. It wouldn't be fair to them if they could only get one arrow out and the footman has ran 50feet before the archer can get another arrow ready.

And of course, I can't wait to see the new trailer!
    The speeds (movement and other) are one of the big discussions in the office. It kinda goes back and forth, sprint, no sprint, auto sprint, stamina, fast, slow etc...

It's one of those things that definitely isn't nailed down yet.

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

Will visors and full helms implement some form of visual feedback that inhibits your combat ability (i.e like in real life, tunnel vision and stuff) or how do you manage such things, aside from simply moving slower with lower stamina?

Btw: this was the thing you answered me with right (about the collisions/physics) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convex_hull
    Looks kind of interesting, so basically you utilize the vertices of the objects that have specific angles between the connected edges/faces? Was kind of what I meant with model based, or do you do it differently?
    Well a convex hull can never have concave corners. What that means is that you can never have anything that scooped out or hollow (ergo the problem with the helmet modelling), that's what sets it apart from "mesh" collision where the collision shape is the exact shape of the faces of the graphical mesh. So for helmets we had to split them into several concave parts to compositely build them into something where the face and/or neck is exposed. These faces are also what we use for our projectile penetration calculations. If you hit the plate at a shallow angle of impact it gets a penalty to it's penetration and is likely to simply deflect off.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin. View Post
    The speeds (movement and other) are one of the big discussions in the office. It kinda goes back and forth, sprint, no sprint, auto sprint, stamina, fast, slow etc...

It's one of those things that definitely isn't nailed down yet.
    Go real life speeds

Well a convex hull can never have concave corners. What that means is that you can never have anything that scooped out or hollow (ergo the problem with the helmet modelling), that's what sets it apart from "mesh" collision where the collision shape is the exact shape of the faces of the graphical mesh. So for helmets we had to split them into several concave parts to compositely build them into something where the face and/or neck is exposed. These faces are also what we use for our projectile penetration calculations. If you hit the plate at a shallow angle of impact it gets a penalty to it's penetration and is likely to simply deflect off.
    So indents are very hard to do with this it seems then, guess you'll have to do it more with the normal mapping then for some of the usage detail. Oh, I had actually thought of the math behind this previously now when I looked at the image again, even though it is quite easy really :P. So say when you want to do an indent, do you do a more primitive, invisible mesh outside it then to keep the look of the object, when you really want it and can't normal map it, or do you just avoid it completely, or perhaps as you say, just break it down as far as needed into concave parts? How tiny can you afford to go with that method?

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

So indents are very hard to do with this it seems then, guess you'll have to do it more with the normal mapping then for some of the usage detail. Oh, I had actually thought of the math behind this previously now when I looked at the image again, even though it is quite easy really :P. So say when you want to do an indent, do you do a more primitive, invisible mesh outside it then to keep the look of the object, when you really want it and can't normal map it, or do you just avoid it completely, or perhaps as you say, just break it down as far as needed into concave parts? How tiny can you afford to go with that method?
    Indents from hits?

You'd generally never want to do that with mesh deformation unless you have a veeeeery complex system (nvidia and ati are both experimenting with some of these currently actually, but they're probably commercially a few years away at least). You'd basically always want to do it with normal mapped decals so the mesh looks deformed rather than "actually" is.

Indents from hits?

You'd generally never want to do that with mesh deformation unless you have a veeeeery complex system (nvidia and ati are both experimenting with some of these currently actually, but they're probably commercially a few years away at least). You'd basically always want to do it with normal mapped decals so the mesh looks deformed rather than "actually" is.
    Yeah, but made by the artist before had. Or do you implement features for hitting the same place multiple times as well (except for decals)????

Yeah I know, I do 3d , but that is also where you can start using tessellation and displacement maps to truly push those deformations from being tiny details to large object appearance differences Look at CryEngine 3's new features for a very nice take on it!

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

Yeah, but made by the artist before had. Or do you implement features for hitting the same place multiple times as well (except for decals)????

Yeah I know, I do 3d , but that is also where you can start using tessellation and displacement maps to truly push those deformations from being tiny details to large object appearance differences Look at CryEngine 3's new features for a very nice take on it!
    http://www.bitsquid.se/gallery-stone_giant.html

We do it too, just not in any released games yet Oh, and that's more than 2 years ago.

Watching that alien doing it's thing at the end up close in stereoscopic 3D is among the best and worse things I've seen in my life. The potential of real time tesselation is amazing.

Oh well, I'm getting off topic, sorry everybody

http://www.bitsquid.se/gallery-stone_giant.html

We do it too, just not in any released games yet Oh, and that's more than 2 years ago.

Watching that alien doing it's thing at the end up close in stereoscopic 3D is among the best and worse things I've seen in my life. The potential of real time tesselation is amazing.

Oh well, I'm getting off topic, sorry everybody

Very cool . Does it have Bokeh DoF too? Are those glow maps or light sources btw, and do they give off real time lighting and reflections on other surfaces?

Gah, will have to set up a thread for this

I few things I thought up later.
    Even though they said no native (implied) linux support, maybe they could try to give WINE support.
    And also there seemed to be a very small number of weapons/stuff to play around with. Maybe there is a lot more options with the weapons/armours like we saw how there were at least 2 choices on pretty much every step for the targe.

I hope you keep the sprint function in and have it linked to stamina. May be you could have different speeds for if you weapon is sheathed or not so you could slow down the combat movement a little. Definitely have sprint linked to stamina.
    Joust in RL, Homeopath, Nutritionist and Dance Flamenco and Salsa

Hi,
    i have few questions:
    How do captains work?
    If it's your turn to be captain of one of the two factions, you can then use your related skills (like berserker banner if i remember right), but they are activable with a reload time or "passive"?
    Do the players choose the captain or its random?
    How long does a battle last? (the one in the live stream seemed to never end)
    There is a bonus in "not chosing" any specialization of the perks or only one istead of two?
    for exemple (and i do not know if such perks do exist) if you chose only "tough" you get 50 life points but if you chose tough and fast you get 25 life points and 1 m/s speed and if you chose only "fast" you get 2 m/s speed

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrillian View Post
    Hi,
    i have few questions:
    How do captains work?
    If it's your turn to be captain of one of the two factions, you can then use your related skills (like berserker banner if i remember right), but they are activable with a reload time or "passive"?
    Do the players choose the captain or its random?
    How long does a battle last? (the one in the live stream seemed to never end)
    There is a bonus in "not chosing" any specialization of the perks or only one istead of two?
    for exemple (and i do not know if such perks do exist) if you chose only "tough" you get 50 life points but if you chose tough and fast you get 25 life points and 1 m/s speed and if you chose only "fast" you get 2 m/s speed
    I think players can choose to spawn as a squad leader (ie They join an empty squad and are automatically made it's leader.) Their leadership perks will then effect players in their squad that are within their proximity.

No idea about the length's of each game mode but I would imagine stuff like that is subject to change as they test the game.

Interesting thought on how perks should work, (I'm not sure they work like that as things stand but I could be wrong.) Hopefuly a developer will read this and be able to give you a more in depth answer.

Well, we can guess time limits for each games, normally games(any game) in most cases last about twenty minutes for timers but maximum is thirty minutes total for a game.

Also, the live-stream time was set for at lease two hours to showcase don't believe its a real time limit for a game.

Mount & Blade: Warband

I would have liked a more detailed demonstration of the combat mechanics, as most of you probably know there's a lot of folks from Warband anticipating this game and if not one concern there's many regarding the combat mechanics!

We did see the weapon push, and we did hear some mention about inertia but I'd like to hear some about sweet spots. I do recall you saying that combat should be as logical as possible and I hope this covers sweet spots. By sweet spots I mean is when you hit in the optimal arc of a swing or the highest point of a thrust, so skilled players will be able to deal more damage and be more effective in general. Warband did have these systems but they were a bit obscure and it took me quite a while to discover them on my own. I could probably have asked around in the forums, but the result would have been the same anyway.

Also, thanks for the epic live stream. The honeybadger helmet will forever remain in my memories.

Second Lieutenant
    Crusader Kings IIMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Bjordhinn View Post
    I would have liked a more detailed demonstration of the combat mechanics, as most of you probably know there's a lot of folks from Warband anticipating this game and if not one concern there's many regarding the combat mechanics!

We did see the weapon push, and we did hear some mention about inertia but I'd like to hear some about sweet spots. I do recall you saying that combat should be as logical as possible and I hope this covers sweet spots. By sweet spots I mean is when you hit in the optimal arc of a swing or the highest point of a thrust, so skilled players will be able to deal more damage and be more effective in general. Warband did have these systems but they were a bit obscure and it took me quite a while to discover them on my own. I could probably have asked around in the forums, but the result would have been the same anyway.

Also, thanks for the epic live stream. The honeybadger helmet will forever remain in my memories.
    A detailed covering of the combat mechanics will probably be in the upcoming live streams (assuming they are doing more). I would hope they would have sweet spots as that is logical. There is always a point in a persons swing that will hit the hardest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cradoc View Post
    A detailed covering of the combat mechanics will probably be in the upcoming live streams (assuming they are doing more).
    Pretty sure we will be able to twist their arm into doing another stream that covers mounted combat and goes over the melee combat system in greater depth. I would guess that a stream like that would happen much closer to release though when these things have been refined. I guess we will just have to wait and see though.

Mount & Blade: Warband

Yes, I did spam the chat last night about mounted combat but for naught . Let us wait indeed, their wisdom is vast enough to recognize our humble requests, I'm sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast