• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OsRavan

Sergeant
4 Badges
Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
hmm, a quick question for you all.

So, in a recent game of mine I successfully raised and installed an anti-pope. Which was pretty awesome! However, I was a little annoyed to see that as a result of winning my war with the papacy, the new pope took with him the land he had been bishop of in my kingdom. In other words, I raised the bishop to anti-pope. He won... and now the bishoripic (however its spelled) owes allegiance to the pope not me.

Does this always happen? Seems a little yucks that the pope repays me winning the entire war for him, with essentially taking some of my vassals away. Anyway around this?

Also, a random question on the subject of popes. If, in theory, you are a catholic heresy, you make an anti-pope and you win... does your heresy now become legitimized?

Also, a totally random question im editing in as it just occurred to me. If a piece of land becomes part of another dejure kingdom over time (i.e the hundred years pass) is that kingdom gone for good? Or if the land becomes independent could they reform it?

i.e if aquitaine is ruled by france for 100 years. But say 200 years later the lands of that region are independent. Have they lost forever the chance to form a kingdom? Or would the Aquitaine kingdom come back over time?

I don't know any way around it as anyone who gets a higher level or equal title becomes independent and takes all their lands with them. The Papacy is considered an emperor level title I think and as such will always at least equal yours. The only work around I could think of would potentially be high or abs crown authority as supposedly it prevents titles from leaving the realm but that may only be due to inheritance.

Yes your heresy becomes the global catholic religion. In fact if you don't install an antipope you will most likely get excommunicated and deposed at some point.

I'm not 100% on this but I believe aquitaine would be a titular title and the only way to get it to go back would be is if it was your primary title and you held a series of duchies that weren't held by another primary king level title then in theory over 100 years they'd become dejure aquitaine if i understand the drift mechanic correctly.

The Papacy is considered an emperor level title I think and as such will always at least equal yours.
The Christian religious leaders (the Catholic Pope and the Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarch) are King-level.

As far as Aquitaine goes: If its de jure territory has been wiped off the map, then all you need in order to form it is two Duke titles (or another King title) and ownership of county 149 (Bordeaux). At that point, if it's your primary title then the 100-year timer will start in all duchies you completely control that are not de jure part of any other King title you hold.

Raising an anti-pope up will always result in losing the bishopric. But if the pope likes you there's a chance he'll hand it back. You can always war to force your de jure claim on it as well.

For the heresy... I'm not sure, I switched to Fraticelli for my most recent game, and found I couldn't appoint bishops or make an antipope. I did get free/papal investiture modifiers though.

Raising an anti-pope up will always result in losing the bishopric.
Only thing you lose when you raise an anti-pope is church authority. Pressing the anti-popes claim on the Papacy is another matter though, since instead of conquering the previous popes lands, you install your anti-pope as the new pope. If the anti-pope holds a bishopric in your lands when you do this, that bishopric will obviously go with him under the crest of the Papacy.

For the heresy... I'm not sure, I switched to Fraticelli for my most recent game, and found I couldn't appoint bishops or make an antipope. I did get free/papal investiture modifiers though.
You can raise an anti-pope, make him into your court bishop and send him to do cultural research. Then, if you get the notice that he has turned into a heretic, just baptise yourself into the heresy instead of imprisoning him and then press his claim to the papacy. And there you have it, a heretic pope ruling in Rome.