Magicka DLC “The Other Side of the Coin” Coming in June!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dannie

Paradox Publishing
10 Badges
Nov 9, 2010
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
New Content Expands Story, Challenges, and Raises Bar for Most DLC Available for One Game

NEW YORK — May 29, 2012 — Paradox Interactive and Arrowhead Game Studios have begun to realize that Magicka, their award-deserving four-player spell-em-up, presents several opportunities for in-game malice. While Magicka is ostensibly a co-op title, there are plenty of players out there who have realized that not every death at the hands of their fellow wizards is necessarily accidental. In response, Paradox Interactive is proud to announce The Other Side of the Coin, a new DLC adventure developed in partnership with Pieces Interactive, allowing players to take on the role of the bad guys. Well, the deliberately bad guys, anyway. Would-be villains will take on the role of Alucart the Vampire as he and his henchman, The Necromancers, fight against the forces of good as they attempt to sabotage already terrible relations between humans, elves, and dwarves.

Magicka: The Other Side of the Coin is scheduled for a digital download release in June for $4,99.

View the new gameplay trailer:

[video=youtube;EVCNn4PcNTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCNn4PcNTc [/video]

Features:
• Play as Alucart the Vampire and his henchmen, the Necromancers
• One exciting new story challenge set among beautiful new elven architecture
• 4 new challenge maps: World's End, Volcano Hideout, OSOTC Arena and the Mirror Crystal Cavern Hideout.
• Necromancer introduced to PvP
• New achivements
• Innovative and dynamic spellcasting system with thousands of possible combinations
• Up to four player co-op in all game modes as well as single player option
• Experience the parody and satire of a cliché fantasy world

Read more:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MagickaGame
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/magickagame
Forum: http://bit.ly/haUQoQ

The horses look strange... or are they supposed to be horses?

And Alucart? Alucard? Or is there is double-tripple-entendre joke that I am missing?

The Magicka horses have always been wooden horses. You just don't see many of them in the main game.
And the Alucart/Alucard thing: read it backwards ;)

honestly didn't expect to ever see updates for this game. I figured all the DLC was done.
I'll get this, at least after I beat the Stars Are Left quest.

though I can't help but complain that instead of them fixing the crashes in multiplayer, they're doing something that brings in money instead.
typical.

Well are you still experiencing any, and are you posting crashlogs for them, with specs? They can't fix what they don't know (or have enough info about).

Was pretty stable for me the last time I played. But yeah I'm looking forward to this, just a bit concerned with the maps being the "Challenge" style. Worked really well for vietnam cause that was just a "jump in and blow the sh** out of everything" style. But with this one it could be a bit better if it was story driven, I enjoyed Stars are Left quite a lot and it felt a decent length and was interesting to explore. :D

I am happy to see more content for this game. I just hope they will not make impossible boss fight like they did with Chtulhu, or whatever is the name. It is beyond funny, and far beyond fun. The person who designed that encounter needs war-hammer bash over the head...

Aha! Nice :) Although I was hoping to see some more PvP related features such as replays / spectator mode / ladder or what ever..

I just hope they will not make impossible boss fight like they did with Chtulhu, or whatever is the name. It is beyond funny, and far beyond fun. The person who designed that encounter needs war-hammer bash over the head...

On the contrary I'm hoping to see more really tough bosses like Cthulhu in the game, it's fun and challenging. Most of the other bosses can be 2 shotted or something but this one is actually very resilient.

Aha! Nice :) Although I was hoping to see some more PvP related features such as replays / spectator mode / ladder or what ever..

On the contrary I'm hoping to see more really tough bosses like Cthulhu in the game, it's fun and challenging. Most of the other bosses can be 2 shotted or something but this one is actually very resilient.

I wish if we could get together and me watching you play.

In any case, self-punishment is not why I play games. I do accept the fact that some elements of gaming world tend to have opposite approach.

EDIT:
I stand corrected. I found a way around the boss which makes it much easier to deal with. My bad for not realizing this earlier.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm new to the forum but not to magicka.

I just have to say that I love it and I hope there will be a lot more DLC that will keep the game alive because I really freakin' love it :laugh:

The only thing I would be a bit disapointed with this DLC is if there is not new Magicks... Does anyone know if there will be any ?
I didn't see any news or info about magicks, so I'm going to suppose that they didn't implement any new :(

I was hoping for the volcano spell that isn't anywhere to be seen.

I love the new effects and the new system of beams crossing each other.
I hope there will be new stuff with combinaison and I hope for more earth spells :) if not in this one, at least in another DLC.

Magicka rulez so much !!!

I don't think they mentioned anything about new Magicks... although they did say that the necro and vampires will have a very different playstyle than the wizards... I'm keen to get my hands on it :D

Yes, that's what I fear about magicks :(

I wonder what will be different with the Necro... I mean, the raise dead magick already exist so I don't know what changed exactly and the trailer doesn't show much.

For the vampire, the only thing announced was that he needs to drain life from his ennemies.... I wonder if it's just arcane that will heal him like healing zombies and death with arcane ?

As far as the trailer shows it, it looks like the explosions have been buffed and that there is a new "fire wall explosion" spell that I never saw before... unless it is only the napalm strike from magicka vietnam? Anyway, the "fire ball" looks different too, you can clearly see a "fire ball" explosion but without any projectiles cast that looks similar to DFFFF.

What really strikes me in the video is the beam system that seems to collide now and makes me think of Ghostbuster for some reason... That might be really interesting in Coop.

3 more days and I can't wait :p

Well... LOL

You taught me something !!!!

Maybe that's why I struggle so much with Cthulhu and Hastur... Oh no wait, I can't pronounce his name or... Arrrgh *Dead

Edit: Uh oh... The June 14th has been erased from the titled of the thread... I guess that means it won't be out today :( *sigh* I don't see it either on steam so I guess it will definitely come later this month or maybe the next one ?

Last edited:
Speaking of hard boss fights, I feel like I'm either forgetting a key mechanic or that I am never going to defeat Vlad's second form alone..

Can't use any spells for all the Nullifies, and wittling down the bosses health using Life Drain and melee is slow-going, as well as putting me in immediate danger of that rapid stabbing attack!

I hope other people are finding this boss as tough as I am. The best tactic I've found so far seems to be a lot of evasion and blocking, followed by the pitiful 37 damage stabs that Alucarts rapier deals out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially if I am forgetting about a key element combo that could save my ass!