• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Annex

Second Lieutenant
24 Badges
Jul 31, 2010
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Impire
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
On each and every map I generate my starting location is always the same, either bottom middle or top middle. Ive generated like 10 maps now and each and every time that holds true. I can never get a nice quiet corner or the left or right sides. Anyone else observe this? Any way of changing this behavior?

On the Cylindrical Huge Continent I've had Upper-Right. On Huge Island I've had upper-middle. On Large Continent I've had Bottom left.

You do realize that the mini-map won't reveal your actual position until you've done enough exploring to find the upper and lower bounds of the map (in my experience)?

If you're on Cylindrical map, there's no "middle".

Yes, there is in terms of the mini-map. Though you can loop around the edges, they are still "edges" for spatial orientation purposes. The mini-map doesn't treat the camera location as the center- each map still has a fixed center/middle regardless of the player's current observed area.

Yes, there is in terms of the mini-map. Though you can loop around the edges, they are still "edges" for spatial orientation purposes. The mini-map doesn't treat the camera location as the center- each map still has a fixed center/middle regardless of the player's current observed area.

I think they just center the map on the player starting location as that's much better than having your capital sitting in a corner and your second city on the other side of the map.

Ok, well, my experience in game has been otherwise. I've had a capital near the edge on the upper right- and my third city crossed the edge to the other side of the map. (Huge Cylindrical Continent).

Hrm ok. What ive done on each start is simply scroll the map in all directions to see where I reach the "wall" (since im not playing cylindrical). Always ive got a full zoomed out screen worth of clouds "above/below" me, and a large amount to the left and right, essentially placing me in the bottom middle or top middle every time. Just once id like to see myself along the left or right sides etc.

Having explored nearly all the map, I see that I am just offset a little from a purely central position in my latest game on a large Impossible map on a Flat world. So that is a counter expample to what the OP says he's found. My first city is half way between the Northern and Southern edges and about 40% of the way across the map from West to East.

I have enemy mages far North East, North East, North West and West of my position, leaving what was a large area filled with the toughest types of brown neutrals including a couple of cities to my South and South East. I'm at war with everyone and winning so far :unsure:

On my last 2 games on a XL map, I have started in the top middle, and the bottom middle. I do not really recall anything before that.

Other potentially relevant options:

Mages: Max
Other Worlds: Max
World Type: Continents
World Wrap: Yes

Last edited:
I always play cylindrical maps since having a corner to myself or the AI's having one seems too tactically unfair to those who start in the middle. I'd rather all mages be on somewhat tactically equal grounds, at least as much as possible with the random map generator.

If you're on Cylindrical map, there's no "middle".

Not to be a smartalec, but even the real world has a middle. :p

It is otherwise known as the Equator, or the Prime Meridian depending on which way you are trying to split it.

It is possible to start far from the south or north corner ? The best i got so far is 5 hexs distance from the starting capital, i hope they change this, i am tired to restart because i start soo close to the corner and nowhere to go.

One time has the worst, i could only put 1 building and have to wait to range 2 until shows a place to put anything, even there has worst half of the capital has gone due water, i think i got 8 total places to put buildings in range 2 :blink:, can't go North (ocean), South (end of map), East (end of the continent) and West that has a 2 hex width path that i can put a city that will suffer even more then the capital, after that a undead city..... RESTART!

In my experience, while it is possible to start near the middle (equator), it is VERY rare. I think the map script prefers to put you in a easy to defend position for some reason... i usually restart between 5 and 15 times(i get bored and do something else after 15) in order to get a spawn that isn't within a few hexes from either the north or south wall:(