• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh dear.., this should be fun for everyone but the characters.

In other news, Kaiser_Mobius - I'm gonna sound like an idiot that it's taken me this long, but. I've had a nagging itch since you started posting here that I used to be a big fan of one of your AARs but for the life of me I couldn't remember it, until just now I consciously noted your sig and realized it was In Defense of Freedom - which is what inspired me to download Kaiserreich and start messing around with it in the first place. So, indirectly, In Defense of Freedom is the grandfather of this AAR :)
-L

Hehe, im surprised people still remember that old thing. :happy:

Anyways, I seriously wonder what the PS Navy can really do to help Hawaii as they try to defend themselves from Japanese attack. Sure the PSN has those nice battleships, cruisers, and destroyers, but IIRC they don't have any aircraft carriers with them, and I am sure the Japanese Navy has plenty of those in whatever taskforce it has attacking Hawaii. The PS Navy could get one hell of a beating if they are not careful.

Good update.

Oh, I'm fine and so is my phone. It's just the house power that's fried. Dominion power - off to check that right now.

Well, Dominion seems to have been doing a great job, they had half-a-million customers out yesterday and they have about a quarter-million out today.

Chapter Thirteen: Lucky Number
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.”
~John Stuart Mill

“You alright, lad?”

“Ja,” Hans Adler replied. Oberstleutnant Roland Hellmann gave him a wary look, then turned back to the rest of the detachment.

“Listen up!” Hellmann shouted. Adler swallowed and tuned his attention to the commander. “The Russians are in the middle of a bloody civil war, in case you missed the memo! We can’t allow the Syndicalists to gain a foothold here as well as in France and Britain – let alone Italy! We’d be surrounded on four sides – the French, the Sicilians, the British and the Russians. We have to prevent that from happening.”

“What can we do, Oberstleutnant?” one soldier asked, calmly checking his MP40. Hellmann grunted, picking up his own submachinegun.

“There’s a Soviet supply dump about eight kilometers inland. Once we’re dropped off, we head straight in and blow the place up. We also rip apart any rail tracks, telephone and telegraph wires, and anything else in the immediate vicinity.”

“And we find some Russian girls?” one commando asked. Several soldiers snickered.

“No time for that,” Hellmann replied. He slipped the MP40 into a holster dangling from the front of his bandolier. Hans distinctly saw a bunch of grenades all across it, as well as an obscene number of Panzershreck rockets. “The girls can wait until we’re in Finland. After that, we extract via U-boat through the Baltic to Luebeck, and return to Berlin as heroes.”

“Surely it won’t be that easy, sir,” Hans objected. “I hear the Russians are devils in war.”

“Oh, they are,” Hellmann chuckled. “But so are Germans. So are Sturmtruppen!”

The commandos let out an animal roar – the call of a wolfpack, howling their challenge across the frozen wastes of Russia.

“Ten seconds,” the pilot of the landing barge commented with unusual aplomb. “Kill a couple Russkies for me, will you?”

“Count on it,” Hellmann replied, hefting his weapon of choice.

Hans hadn’t believed a mere human could LIFT a triple-barreled panzershreck when he first signed on with the Sturmtruppen, let alone aim and fire one.

He’d never seen Hellmann miss. Ever.

Hans whispered one more quiet prayer – that if the Russians killed him, his sister would be alright in Berlin – then grabbed his MP40 and grenades.

The boat nosed into the shore and the Sturmtruppen charged off, silent and deadly.

“You make the mistake, Captain, of thinking the gaijin are capable of opposing us anyway.”

Captain Sato Okada sipped calmly at his tea. The irate officer in front of him was fuming visible, a hand on his sword.

“Captain Shinya, calm yourself,” Sato replied. “Your Rikusentai have performed wonders, I assure you. Oahu belongs to the Emperor now. But think, perchance, for a moment. I know from your records you were educated in Illinois?”

Captain Tamatsu Shinya nodded stiffly. Sato chuckled.

“Then you know what the Americans are capable of.”

“They are at war, Captain!” Shinya seethed. “We should not slink around in this dishonorable cowardice afraid of a nation that cannot keep itself together!”

“I am not afraid of the Americans,” Sato disagreed. “I merely respect their immense power. There is a very real difference between the two. I would not be so cautious if Nagumo had not withdrawn Akagi and Shoho.”

“We still have one carrier!” Shinya countered. “Kaga has not returned in preparation for Plan CI!”

“Yes, and much good one carrier will do,” Sato parried. “The Pacificans and Americans are likely each sending fleets, you know.”

“The Americans cannot send a fleet without ports on the Pacific.”

“And?” Sato sipped his tea. “They have them.”

“No!” Shinya shook his head. “The Americans do not! The Pacificans . . . .” he trailed off. Sato took another sip.

“That’s what you’re worried about,” Shinya finally murmured. Sato nodded.

“I view an alliance of convenience between Denver and Sacramento as inevitable, Tamatsu. The Pacificans will protect Hawai’ian independence – and not the puppet kingdom we are setting up, but the ‘true’ Hawai’ian government. And the Americans want the islands back anyway. They can agree to work together at sea in order to kick us out and put the Hawai’ians back in charge, then return to killing each other on land while their fleets retire.”

“The Americans have enough problems with the Unionists,” Shinya said. Sato laughed.

“No, they don’t. Huey Long and George Patton may delude themselves, but the outcome of that battle is inevitable. The Pacificans won’t be able to stand against the Americans once Long has been hanged and Atlanta burned to the ground again.”

“Again?” Shinya frowned. Sato shook his head.

“You have not studied America as well as you should have. In 1864, by the gaijin count, the First Civil War was raging furiously. Many men were dying, but the Federals had the advantage over the Confederates. An army under the command of William Sherman forced its way into Georgia, moving toward Atlanta – not the Confederate capital, you understand, but a major industrial and supply center. The Confederates set up elaborate defenses to try and stop them, but Sherman outflanked them and avoided a major battle. He breached the city, seized it, and then practically razed it to the ground.”

Shinya blinked. “That is without honor. Gaijin scum.”

“War is without honor,” Sato countered. Shinya frowned – it was a very un-Japanese statement. “A fight, a just and noble battle, is with honor. Bravery is honor. But war? War is chaos, death and dishonor to all who fight it.”

“If you say so,” Shinya shrugged. “Shall I accompany the last of my marines ashore and establish a field command post at Hickam?”

“Of course,” Sato nodded. “I will inform General Homma and Admiral Kurita of your decision.”

“We’re screwed,” one of the men grunted. He was shaking, hugging himself.

“Don’t say that,” Reed Cassidy countered. He took a peak down at Honolulu. The city itself hadn’t been severely damaged, despite the continuing fires from the waterfront. The night was full of them. They illuminated all the Rising Sun banners quite nicely.

“What can we even do?” the man shot back. “We’re two dozen men with outdated weapons hiding in the mountains!”

“Clearly, you never paid much attention to the war back Home,” Cass replied. Reed hadn’t even realized she was still following him until about an hour ago, when he’d taken charge of the group following Captain Matthias’ death. Somewhere she’d acquired a tommy gun, and Reed was starting to have a suspicion she knew how to use it.

Question the girl later, Reed, he told himself. It’s clear there’s more to her than meets the eye, but let’s focus on kicking Jap ass right now.

“We’re not screwed for good,” Reed said. “There’s help coming from the Pacificans and the Canadians. I’m sure of it.”

“Really?” the man croaked. “You think whoever kicks the Japs out of here is going to give us our country back? Hell no! Everyone and his grandma wants these islands for themselves!”

“Shut up,” Stacks grunted. The big engineer was eyeing something with his binoculars. “Reed, take a look at this.”

Reed took the offered binoculars and peered through them. First, he saw nothing unusual – just the Japanese fleet. They’d already counted the ships – twenty-one destroyers, four cruisers, a battleship, two fleet carriers, a light carrier, and around a half-dozen submarines. The battleship was a looming monstrosity unlike anything Reed had ever seen before – huge and terrifying.

Then he saw it.

“The Japs are pulling the light carrier and one of the fleets back,” Reed said. Cass gasped. “I think that they’re linking up with that other squadron we saw before it got dark – the seven destroyers that went cruising out. I think that group’s going to make for the Home Islands.”

“Or, maybe they’ve found a ‘relief force’ and are going to kick the crap out of it!” the man cried. Reed clenched his fists.

There was a sudden Thwack! and a thud. Reed whirled.

Cass was standing over the unconscious man, unclenching her fist. She glared at the others.

“Get a hold of yourselves,” she growled, before stalking to another corner of the camp. Reed blinked.

“Maybe we should have ditched her?” Stacks offered under his breath. “She’s a woman, after all.”

“I get the feeling she’s significantly more than that,” Reed replied. “She knows how to use that tommy gun, for sure, and she just put a soldier out with one punch. She’s special.”

“Is that good or bad?” Stacks challenged – a question Reed struggled to answer.

“Still working on it,” he finally replied.

Well that took WAY too long. I'd blame the loss of power but I got it back the day I lost it so that's not really an excuse. Thusly, I blame my rediscovery of Knights of the Old Republic and my effort to get a blog set up(still not quite done, unfortunately. I'll be sure to link to it here and to here from it once it's up.)

Those familiar with my book projects and other writing know I have a borderline fetish for female lead characters and a serious dislike for male ones. Amy is the only woman viewpoint I have in this AAR, but it looks like Cass is shaping up to be one if Reed is removed from the picture. Not that he necessarily will be of course.

Anyway: next chapter is more setup, and the one after that is a lot of naval action, followed by a lot of land action.

Until next time, thanks for all the comments!

-L

I love the stormtroopers, even if the single-barreled Panzerschreck, let alone triple barreled, wasn't developed until 1943. :p

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
I am somewhat surprised that the Japanese would be so worried about the US Navy or the PS Navy, both of which would probably be only mere shadows of what the older Pre Civil War US Navy was. I predict that either would have a very difficult time trying to take Hawaii back, since they would have to face the full might of the Imperial Japanese Navy, which has much more ships, especially Carriers, at its disposal.

Good update.

Chapter Fourteen: Broken Hearts

“There’s something horrible about having to write a letter to the parents or spouse of a friend and admit ‘I let him die. He trusted in me to be his commander and lead him out alive and I . . . didn’t.’ That’s the scariest and most humbling thing in the world.”
~Major Thomas Hardy

“Commodore, we have another report. Seems one of our spies was able to avoid the Japanese by linking up with a resistance movement. He’s been sending us reports.”

Commodore Kirk McNiel turned to face the signal officer. “What news? We’ll be arriving at Pearl by dawn. Have the Japanese been reinforced?”

“No, sir,” the officer returned. He offered the sheet. McNiel took it and looked.

CMDR PACIFIC STATES FLEET

NO KNOWLEDGE IF YOU ARE COMING STOP. HOPE YOU ARE SIR STOP. JAPANESE HAVE APPROX. 3000 REPEAT 3000 MEN ON OAHU STOP. ENEMY FLEET CONSIST TWENTY-EIGHT(28) DESTROYERS, 2 FLEET CARRIERS, 1 BATTLESHIP STOP. 4 CRUISERS, 5-6 SUBMARINES, 1 LIGHT CARRIER. BE ADVISED JAPAN WITHDRAWING 7DD 1CVL 1CV STOP. DESTINATION UNKNOWN STOP. WILL TRY TO SABOTAGE WHAT WE CAN STOP. UNDERSTAND IF YOU CANNOT REPLY STOP. THERE’S ABOUT 1200 REBELS ACROSS THE ISLANDS STOP. CANNOT STATE OUR LOCATIONS STOP. HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND STOP.

-X

McNiel pursed his lips. “They’re withdrawing a light carrier, a fleet carrier, and seven destroyers. We’re still outmatched, but nowhere near as bad. I wonder what else the Japanese are planning?”

“Sir, might I speculate?” Captain Arthur Wilcox offered. McNiel snorted.

“Go ahead, Captain. It’s not like I’ve ever said no to your insight.”

“Well, sir, it occurs to me that the Japanese could be moving northward to launch an air attack on our fleet without the rebels having a chance to warn us.” He shrugged. “But that would mean they know where we are, which leads me to wonder why they’d bother with all the dancing around. Plus, we’re still not officially at war with Japan.”

“That’ll come by dawn,” McNiel grunted. Wilcox nodded.

“What are your orders, Commodore?” Wilcox asked. McNiel shrugged.

“Same thing we’ve been doing. Radio silence and steam through the night. We can make Pearl by morning and start trying to retake Hawaii from the Japs – though without a lot of luck, I don’t know if we can actually take the islands as opposed to just driving the Japanese fleet away.”

“So this is Linwood. Looks like-”

“A Hooverville.”

Tom Hardy glared at Lenny. “Do you have to do that?” The sergeant grinned.

“Alright, move out, lads,” Bradford encouraged his Edwards. The town was all but deserted – the civilians had evacuated when the Federal forces arrived and started to dig in. This region had been fought over a lot previously in the war and all but the most stupid knew to clear out before the titans crossed swords.

Price was setting up around with a few mobile commands to block any flanking maneuvers the Unionists tried, just as Double T had ordered. The last from Texas Thunder had been that he was supervising fortifications in the Philadelphia suburbs – turning Independence Hall into an artillery spotter position, for example.

“Alright, Irregulars!” Colt shouted. “Fireteam One! With me!”

“Fireteam Two!” Lenny shouted, winking at his commander. “With me!”

There were shouts from other junior officers for Fireteams three and four – Hardy hadn’t learned their names. If they lived through this battle, he’d make sure to do that.

Hardy and his few personal guards – damn it, he was just a major, guards were overkill! – moved into the town church. Bradford was setting up in the courthouse, since it surprisingly had a better view for command and artillery. The Irregular CP was a backup command center in case Bradford was removed from the fight somehow.

“You men find good positions,” Hardy ordered the guards. Three of the five men moved out, but two stayed fixed where they were. Hardy made a shooing gesture.

“Sir, we’re your guards,” one pointed out. “Our job is to stick around.”

Hardy glared for a minute, then nodded. “If you insist.”

He looked out the window at the rising sun. Idly, he wished he could be in Hawaii, surfing to his heart’s content.

Though the Japanese and Hawai’ians seem to have been getting tense with each other lately. I’m shocked they haven’t had a war by now.

A strange impulse shook Hardy. He eyed his guards, then the telephone on the wall. Finally, he sighed and plucked up his courage.

“Men, the battle hasn’t begun yet. Can you stay outside the door for ten minutes or so? I have to make a phone call before the fight begins.”

“Operational security-” one began. Hardy chuckled.

“I won’t reveal anything sensitive, corporal. I’ve been doing this for a while. Now shoo.”

The men traded looks, then left. Hardy heard them taking up positions just outside the door, muttering to each other. He let out another sigh.

It wasn’t the guards he was afraid of.

Slowly, Thomas Hardy reached for the phone, his body shaking with nerves. He dialed a few numbers, swallowing and hesitating before the last one. His heartbeat skyrocketed.

Should I?

“I haven’t even had my coffee yet.”

Stop mumbling complaints. Get your coffee, sit by the phone. Pick it up and answer it, silly woman.

“Hello?”

“A . . . Amy?”

Amelia Hardy dropped the cup of coffee. It shattered on the floor, spilling the scalding liquid everywhere.

Tom!?!” she gasped. “It’s . . . you!”

“Hi, Amy,” Tom’s distorted voice replied. “I was hoping you were awake.”

“Yes, yes,” Amy replied, fighting to get herself back together. “Where are you?”

“Somewhere,” Tom hedged. “On the front with the Unionists. You’re still in the family home?”

“Yes,” Amy agreed unnecessarily. Tom had called the “family home” number, after all. “How are you? I heard about you on the radio after Chicago . . . .”

“I’m fine, and I intend to stay that way,” Tom said. “I just . . . I don’t know why I called, really.”

“Tom, that’s okay,” Amy said. “Listen . . . I don’t care where you are, I don’t care if you’re fighting under the Stars and Stripes, the Bear, the Bloody Mary or even the Jackal – you’re still my brother. Okay?”

Tom was quiet for a long moment, so Amy decided to elaborate. “We’re not enemies, Tom. We never have been. Whatever choices you make didn’t negate that we’re family, and that’s more important than politics anyway. I said that before the ’36 elections and I’ll say it now.”

“That feels like so long ago,” Tom sighed. “I wish Long and Reed had just accepted the election results fairly.”

“We all do,” Amy replied. “We all do, Tom.”

“Where’s Mike and Cecilia?” Tom asked. “I haven’t heard from any of you in almost a year.”

“Mike’s been pulled back because of Hawaii,” Amy replied. “He’s going to be part of the counter-invasion.”

“What? The PSA is invading Hawaii?” Tom sounded shocked. Amy frowned.

“You seriously don’t know what happened out there?”

“Amy, I’ve been planning the defense of . . . somewhere important. Last I knew the Hawaiians were catching waves like they have all damn war.”

“Not anymore. The Japanese invaded yesterday and are setting up a puppet government. Sacramento is dispatching what fleet and marines we have to try and take the islands back.”

“What about those Japanese volunteers I hear you have?” Tom inquired. “They might be a problem.”

“I don’t know, Tom, I’m not a soldier,” Amy countered. “I hear they’re being interned at a camp somewhere, but that’s just a rumor. You know what Dad used to say about rumors.”

“They’re slippery as a fish and are about as helpful,” Tom recited. Amy chuckled. “Yeah, I remember.”

“As to the other question . . . I have no idea where Cecilia is,” Amy finished. “I think she’s in Canada, but I have no evidence to back that up.”

“Well, we’re really scattered to the four corners of the States, aren’t we?” Tom sighed. There were faint footsteps from the other end of the line, and Amy caught a few words. “They” “here already” and “sir.”

“I have to go. I’m sorry – I shouldn’t have called.”

“Tom, no!” Amy replied. She hesitated.

“I love you, brother,” she murmured, so low she was afraid Tom might not hear her through the phone. “We’re family.”

There was a pregnant pause. Amy began to fear Tom had hung up already.

“I love you too, sis. Family. I’ll call you again sometime. Goodbye.”

“Goodbye . . . brother,” Amy replied. She heard him hang up, and slowly did the same.

“Dear Lord,” she murmured, clasping her hands. “Don’t let him die. Not after this. Don’t let my brother get himself killed.”

This chapter was pretty easy to write. We are now fully prepared for whatever may come, and whatever may not.

Expect asskicking to commence fairly soon.

There will also be a surprise once we reach Chapter 20, so stay tuned. And vote for me under "Other" in the AARland Choice AwAARds!

Finally: to those who are interested, I finally got the blog(and Shadowmaid pt.1) up. Find it here. All my work except for BHaH and Wayfinders is High Fantasy, so be warned :p

-L

Last edited: