• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tamius23

Indefatigable Psychotic
40 Badges
Feb 12, 2011
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Some of you might know Styria as the country you release to punish Austria, only to get re-absorbed five years later. Having had fun playing as Albania, I thought I might try another release-vassal-on-day-one game, and write an AAR of it.

Let's see how it goes.

Chapter One

styria1.jpg

Here we start the story of Styria. It begins as a vassal of Austria, which is apparently the only other country in the world.

styria2.jpg

That's better.

Now despite having forcelimits of 7 units, I won't build that many. Why? The best way to break free of Austria's overlordship is to lose a war. And the best way to lose a war is to have fewer units. Also, the manpower is insufficient at the moment.

As a side note, Styria gains 0.06 inflation per year, thanks to Lienz's being a gold province.

styria3.jpg

My army will stay in Styria for the duration of this war.

styria4.jpg

Thankfully Austria doesn't take territory from Switzerland. The least we need is a stronger Austria. Eventually she takes white peace against Burgundy.

styria5.jpg

Austria decides to bug me with military access demands, due to her troops stuck in the Tirol. Therefore, I cancel my alliance, but not vassal-ship.

styria6.jpg

In 1411 comes the first National Idea. I go with National Bank, to try to limit the damage caused by those gold mines.

styria7.jpg

Soon enough, Austria eats defenceless Milan.

styria8.jpg

And because of that, a war! Hooray!

Reinstating that alliance with Austria may have been a bad idea.

styria9.jpg

After the Bohemians defeated the Free Styrian Army, Styria's fate was left to Bohemia's whims - they chose to leave her under Austria's overlordship.

styria10.jpg

Come 1420 Austria is completely shattered with no army to speak of. I take that as an opportunity to break free.

Austria actually keeps building regiments and immediately disbanding them. I'll leave them to it.

styria11.jpg

Alliance broken. I can't declare war on Austria yet - I haven't a casus belli and because of that, Bohemia can intervene, being the emperor.

I gain a CB on Venice, though.

styria12.jpg

The old king dies with no heir, so I get a new dynasty.

styria13.jpg

About five years pass without being squished by Austria, so obviously Bohemia thinks Styria is semi-permanent. Either that or something to do with the massive Viennese peasant revolt.

Also, our relation was -196 before this.

styria14.jpg

A call to arms. I am going to use it to try and take what I can from Aquileia. Not territory - I haven't any cores there.

Bohemia has taken its anger out on Austria. That'll show them.

styria15.jpg

Nothing from Aquileia, because Milan was war leader. Thanks a lot, Milan.

styria16.jpg

Bohemia…? I thought you loved me!

styria17.jpg

Ah, must have been that other B____ia country.

styria18.jpg

Oh dear.

Last edited:
I shouldn't be subscribing to more AARs when I can't keep up with what I'm currently reading, but I'll make an exception for you. :p

Nice AI randomness, hey want to become elector? We'll throw in excommunication!

Well, it looks like Austria won't be your greatest enemy after all. Good luck ;) .

Well, I would hope Austria is not quite back on it's feet yet. Then again, if they've declared war, that probably means they have an advantage.

Good luck! I'll be rooting!

Well for the last screenshot you can see of Austria in this update,they have no army.They have also lost another province.I don't think they'll be too hard to deal with.

Within a couple of years and Bohemia's already annexed Brandenburg.

damn.

Feedback

Sorry for the delay in updates, my hard drive's conked out. The AAR should be updating a little more often, I have some more of it, kept elsewhere, now.

Malurous: Trust Bohemia's AI...

I had better not anger it, or it will go and eat Russia.

MrQwerty: While Austria's been reduced to three provinces, they are three very rich provinces indeed, and they (rightfully) think they can win a war if they declare one. You'll see.

Avindian: Thank you!

homy_dog34: Form the HRE? Playing a little nation, I have a hard time trying to get electors to vote for me. Still, at least I get one vote guaranteed.

PiriReis: I admit the colour was one of the reasons I chose it...

Prince of Savoy: They do have quite an advantage. You'll see.

AwesomeSauce123: I've been rather sneaky with the pictures. There are about nine years between Austria's losing to Bohemia and their declaration of war on Styria.

Merrick Chance': I've known them do that quite often... the one time I played as Bohemia, I inherited it after my first ruler died. :cool:

dragonizer: Thanks!

sprites: I didn't consider that... starting around 1426 looks fun. A Venice that has a strong powerbase in Greece, a stronger England owning more of France. I shall have to try it at some point.

Chapter Two

styria19.jpg

A bit of luck sees Ostmarch fall before Steiermark, but it's only worth 13% warscore. They would neither accept white peace nor a concession of defeat.

styria20.jpg

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

styria21.jpg

After battles in Wien and Ostmarch, Styrian troops beat a retreat through Hungary, and eventually end up back in Wien, where they win the siege to bring the warscore from -20% to zero.

styria22.jpg

At this point Austria offers peace on her terms. I empty the treasury to them and take it.

styria23.jpg

To be expected, I suppose.

styria24.jpg

I didn't even know the Netherlands was a thing.

styria25.jpg

1458 rolls around and I still exist. Better, I reach government tech 9 and take National Bank (again).

styria26.jpg

A new monarch with a nice high diplomacy rating (Heir is 8/6/8). Hopefully I can get cores on somewhere like Aquileia or Salzburg. I haven't managed to take Treviso yet - for a long time Venice was allied with powerhouse Switzerland, and then they ate Milan.

styria27.jpg

I had expected this for a while. Though I had hoped Emperor Bavaria would come to my aid.

styria28.jpg

Styrian luck strikes again and I manage to get to and successfully siege Wien before they can siege Steiermark. They offer me this, and I accept. (Yes, I tried to get more out of them by demanding stuff myself, but they weren't willing to talk.)

styria29.jpg

Five years pass. Here we go again…

The Austrians engage and win in Steiermark and Graz, but I just manage to make it out alive.

styria30.jpg

Every time.

As the Styrian army moves into Ostmarch, the Austrians foolishly assault the castle in Steiermark and fail.

styria31.jpg

I chase that by-now-demoralised army to Graz and beat them.

styria32.jpg

A small skirmish in Wien and the army is annihilated in Ostmarch.

With no army to speak of, I can occupy all of Austria's provinces…

styria33.jpg

… a peace-offer neatly adding up to 100. No more Austrian cores on my land, and now I am the puppet-master.

Last edited:
Ah, what a lovely result. Well done, good thing that you kept winning the siege first.

You can't get a core on Salzburg by the way, no Boundary Disputes on capital provinces in DW.

Hooray for Styria, master of Austria! And with that, more ducats for your treasury :) .

Now it looks like your next challenge will be to strengthen yourself against Bohemia. Good luck.

Took some maneuvers but you prevailed in the end. Great.:cool:
Who is next?