• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Anyone knows a web or a book where i can find pics of the Czech uniforms during interwar? i can't find nothing about them!

First post updated with more examples, check'em!

I decided to retake this project because i found a way to make icons to look better in game, here are some examples of the work:

Afghanistan
dgj57r.png

Australia
rawal0.png

Finland
33awdap.png

New Zealand
1dzit.png

Poland (only some examples are shown)
2woi1iq.png

Russia
s16crl.png

I'd like to know your opinion...

I like the concept but the quality should be improved.For example most of those Australian ones are either too blury or too light.Also the size of the models shouldn't vary much.For example the 1890 infantry model for Russia looks huge compared to other ones.

^^ I know, the problem with being blurry or too light is that the source i take those pics from, is either in bad quality or in that contrast. I tried to find a better quality version but i couldn't.
About the size of the infantry, i think you mean Russian 1870 infantry instead of 1897, there was not a better pic. I take them from Osprey books and alikes.
Anyway, if you could give me some tips (i'm using gimp BTW) on how to make them better and to avoid that blurry effect i really would appreciate it...

I can feel your pain,since I also have trouble finding good material for my Yugoslav icons,but I'm afraid there's not much I can help you with.I work with Photoshop(basic skills) and know nothing about Gimp.But you could try experimenting with hue/saturation-contrast.I have managed to improve some of my work like that.

Now that i look at it again... i think that some of them are not actually that bad, the Afghan models for instance, they're nice in game, the Russians, with the exception of infantry 1870 and some others, the rest are looking nice once in-game. Same for the Polish, the light armor looks horrible, i'll change it as soon as i find a better pic, but in the other hand the 1930 mountain trooper looks nice. The same could be said about the Finns..

Now that i look at it again... i think that some of them are not actually that bad, the Afghan models for instance, they're nice in game, the Russians, with the exception of infantry 1870 and some others, the rest are looking nice once in-game. Same for the Polish, the light armor looks horrible, i'll change it as soon as i find a better pic, but in the other hand the 1930 mountain trooper looks nice. The same could be said about the Finns..

I actually think the Polish Light Armor looks the best and most like the original CPack icons that I used to use for HOI2. Your other icons, the ones not washed out, look good, but too much like the Vanilla DH Icons.

Yes, but i think that it's because of the format, resolution or something of the image itself, once in game it gets blurry, look:

2ns9u7t.png

Edit: What the...? now it looks fine?

I'm starting to get the knack of model making:

33clrw7.png

none of them look blurry in game and also they are the correct size...

BTW, i made Scotland because... well because i think that revolters should get some love also.

EDIT: I know that some of those divisional names can look very cliché... i rushed them in just two minutes of edition.

Those look good! For my own selfish reasons you should work on mostly minor nations :laugh:
I have no problem playing with a combination of your Icons and Kazoo's ;)

I have two questions:
1. About Gurkhas. As currently i'm doing Indian models, i stepped with a lot of Gurkhas that fought under the British indian administration. Would it be realistical to have them as mountain infantry and light infantry for the early models?
2. About Light infantry. The first two models for mountain infantry are in reality light infantry models. As i read that marine units until ww1 were, essentially light infantry units, would be adequate for some countries to have marines in the light infantry (and even in the very early mountain infantry) models?

Ladies & Gentlemen, while i wait for any answer to those two questions posted to come up, here you have it, British Raj:

140dgs5.png

Republican Spain (there's not many material i can find about them, i hope Osprey will release a new book series on the SCW):

2rm039k.png

Euskal Herria:

t6wizd.png

and updated Australian units (look at the Grant/Lee tank)

241a3v8.png

as well as updated Scottish pics (look at the militia guy):

15cof8j.png

Note: If the images are looking blurry, right click on them and then click on "see image".

I'd like also point that i used Supeerme's blank GFX files in order to do this, i recommend them so go and check his thread:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?645555-Resource-Blank-Gfx-files

Last edited:
Spanish State/Nationalist Spain:

280tzlk.png

WW2 British icons:

so64gx.jpg

British units updated with WW1 models. 55 different models so far, just for land units.

95vudd.png