• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looking at the screenshot again, I'm going to guess that the grapes have something to do with your dynasty. On the Caliph's character page, notice how the grapes are connected to the dynasty shield. Maybe it's the percentage of your dynasty that is of child bearing age? (Grapes = fruitfull) Or maybe something connected to dynasty prestige?

But Sword of Islam is no DLC. It's an expansion.

Its as big an expansion as Deus Vult or Revolutions was in terms of content, so I wanted to use the word "expansion".. even though of everything from a spritepack to an expansion like Heir to the Throne is technically an DLC.

Theoretically is a patch also DLC.

Edit: But I think you shouldn't use it for it. I think everyone knows what what is or what the majority thinks what a "DLC", a "patch" or an "expansion" is. I think the word choice should be taken more carefully.

I personally would call this a big DLC and not an expansion. But that could change if I know more infos about it.

But Sword of Islam is no DLC. It's an expansion.

It's the same thing, it's not really black and white, in this day an age expansion content is alot different then even 2 or more years ago, I think Johan described it as a expansion because it'll be gameplay content heavy, yet it will still function in the same way as a DLC, as a optional module, and it's price also seems to be more akin to a DLC then a expansion, anyway the point i'm trying to make is, that "Expansion" these days is simply aword attached to a rather comprehensive DLC.

It's the same thing, it's not really black and white, in this day an age expansion content is alot different then even 2 or more years ago, I think Johan described it as a expansion because it'll be gameplay content heavy, yet it will still function in the same way as a DLC, as a optional module, and it's price also seems to be more akin to a DLC then a expansion, anyway the point i'm trying to make is, that "Expansion" these days is simply aword attached to a rather comprehensive DLC.

Yes!

So can you clarify how this works? Let's say I download patch 1.06 (as most people of course will) -- does that patch contain everything included in optional Sword of Islam DLC, but with the obvious exception that Muslims won't be playable? So the content is there for the AI, etc.

So far people with or without DLC can play multi-player games together because the checksum is the same regardless. Will this still be the case? It's probably a stupid question but I'm just a little confused.

Otherwise I don't understand how it works because presumably it will mean the game plays very differently between versions.

So can you clarify how this works? Let's say I download patch 1.06 (as most people of course will) -- does that patch contain everything included in optional Sword of Islam DLC, but with the obvious exception that Muslims won't be playable? So the content is there for the AI, etc.

im pretty sure thats how it works

im pretty sure thats how it works
This is my assumption (and hope), but obviously in conventional expansions you either buy them and have the new content or you choose not to and you don't -- but this means multiple versions of the same game and I think Paradox wish to avoid this. I could be wrong of course.

This is my assumption (and hope), but obviously in conventional expansions you either buy them and have the new content or you choose not to and you don't -- but this means multiple versions of the same game and I think Paradox wish to avoid this. I could be wrong of course.

We've developed a new system to handle modular expansions so that you can buy the small packages that you want when they're released, and it will all be using the same executable, so whichever expansions you own your game will see continued support. There will be no problems with this in multiplayer, and if you have bought one expansion and your friend has bought another, you can still play together. You will have access to the features you bought and your friend the features he bought. Alternatively, if you'd prefer you'll be able to toggle any expansions "off" before the game starts.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...sion-policy-for-the-Internal-Development-Team

Awesome! Just as I thought. Thanks a lot. :)

There really ought to be a link to that in the Patching / FAQ sticky thread. I looked there when 1.06 was first announced but couldn't find the details posted above.

Hmmm.

I'm disappointed, because I was hoping for something HOI3 or EU3, or better still something new altogether.
But I'm also pleased, because I like CK2 and look forward to new features and challenges in it.

I think the game need a few more expansions to be playable as EU3 Chronicles. It's great that map expands to the Western Africa (Mali), but I think that Byzantine Empire, the mightiest country in this period is slightly ignored. I'm curious about new battle features.

Im also very curious about this. As someone who never plays as a muslim or has any interest in it, whats in this expansion for me?
if the guess is correct, it's likely that everything necessary for the Sword of Islam "DLC" to run will be present in the free base patch
the "DLC" itself contains events/mechanisms specifically for players who will play as a muslim.
in other words, it's a special set of eyewear for a muslim-state player in an MP situation. a christian-feudal state won't see what's happening with that eyewear, but the prerequisite functions our analogical eyewear affects is already there, ergo making playing a muslim-state a unique experience while not leaving out the christian-feudal-state out of anything (e.g. if the eyewear summons dragons, the chrisitian-player will see the dragons, but won't be able to summon/control them himself... but that analogies going out of hand)

Awesome to see this new expansion, but I'm not sure I like Paradoxes new policy on expansions (especially the part about if you pre-order or buy on day one, you'll get bonuses - I've always hated bonuses for people who came first, and I've seen many gaming communities (of various types, not just video game communities) disintegrate when this type of thing developed; because the older, first-in players always had cooler stuff than people who entered the scene earlier. And I’m sure most people know that envy and pride are both great at destroying stuff). Oh well.

Awesome to see this new expansion, but I'm not sure I like Paradoxes new policy on expansions (especially the part about if you pre-order or buy on day one, you'll get bonuses - I've always hated bonuses for people who came first, and I've seen many gaming communities (of various types, not just video game communities) disintegrate when this type of thing developed; because the older, first-in players always had cooler stuff than people who entered the scene earlier. And I’m sure most people know that envy and pride are both great at destroying stuff). Oh well.

couldn't agree more, it's like "hey, you only bought the game on the second release day, that's why we are punishing you!", this does not only divide the community but also encourages piracy, why should i buy a dlc when i can't get the same features like people who bought it on day 1, isn't it better to me then to pay nothing and just pirate it?