Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Development: Back to the Grind

Game Development: Back to the Grind

... not you, but us, that is. Code Gnome and I have had a few days off, hence the lack of updates, but we're back now, so all is well. Here's some small changes while we work on more important things.

Stuff
    Metal Axe: Chop trees faster!
    Flint & Steel: Dem drills. Not using them anymore.
    Labouring (Skill): Allows you to carry more dirt, and reduces the phlegm cost for digging.

Game Changes
    Smelters are now lit with lighting items and not by a silly "Light" button.

Build costs for Boundry Stone & Cross of S:t George now conform to standards of simple sanity.

Upon first learning Survival skills, you will be given a temporary buff that allows you one free wilderness spawn. Said buff can also be used to spawn by another player's claim, provided you know that player's Homestead Secret. Further Wilderness spawns can be purchased at 30s a pop. Homestead Spawns cannot be purchased. Learning "The Rights of Englishmen" will entirely remove your ability to use the Wilderness Guides.

Braziers can no longer be built indoors, and are no longer carryable under any circumstance. Previously ill placed braziers should be removed automagically.

The various cereal ears should now be possible to drop to the ground.

Company Changes
    Company no longer buys Indian Arrowheads or Feathers.
    Company buys Savage Charms @ 35s a pop.
    Company sells Town Charters @ 2.5ks a pop.
    Company sells "Crown Manure", a steaming bag of finest english import manure for your fields, @ 250s a pop. Ten uses per unit.

More important things that we are currently working on
    Combat
    Item Purity
    Support for multiple servers and other administrative doohickey.

Enjoy!
    Plan to die alot, casual?

- Anonymous replies to post complaining about permanent death in Salem on 4chan/v.

Wow I can't imagine working as a manure importer. Poor NPCs.

Corporal

NOOOO decreased silver production now i have to find Indian feathers for all my arrowheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Bean View Post

Said buff can also be used to spawn by another player's claim, provided you know that player's Homestead Secret. Further Wilderness spawns can be purchased at 30s a pop. Homestead Spawns cannot be purchased.

Enjoy!
    Thanks for the metal axes, but with this 'alts, here we go update' they probably won't be needed anymore.
    What's the brazier's "automagical" removal method you're talking about here? Destroying them?

Any ETA on the Maple Leaf fix? I just started a few days ago, and I cannot make any of the items.

How much did Town Charter cost before this update? >>

Also: don't touch purity. Only aspect of the game I am completely content with XD.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    thx, so this means I will stay hermit forever, haha

Quote Originally Posted by BassToMouth View Post
    Any ETA on the Maple Leaf fix? I just started a few days ago, and I cannot make any of the items.
    I could be wrong, but I think the maple leaf issue was just a respawn timing thing. The ability to get your guide service for free should allow you to be guided far away from Boston where their are leaves aplenty and hopefully a lot of Indian feathers since we can't sell just the arrowheads anymore.....

What in the world will i do with all my arrowheads then? I find arrowheads: feathers in like a 10:1 ratio

Quote Originally Posted by natedagreat View Post
    What in the world will i do with all my arrowheads then? I find arrowheads: feathers in like a 10:1 ratio
    That's the point of this nerf XD. However ,yeah, I dont want to throw my arrowheads into the river.

Soooo....How do you make money until you can make savage charms? Seeing as they are not in childish things for starter characters to use. This REALLY hurt the new player experience, as they are unable to make money for a simple leanto until how far along???

Quote Originally Posted by Dopefly View Post
    Soooo....How do you make money until you can make savage charms? Seeing as they are not in childish things for starter characters to use. This REALLY hurt the new player experience, as they are unable to make money for a simple leanto until how far along???
    They got the free teleporation to the wilderness, which I assume includes a leanto.

kinda kicks new players in the teeth, we have seen pics of bad random spawns for the lean 2's. Get a bad spawn and might as well reroll.
    I think the silver change is gonna scare away people instead of driving them to the cash shop. I know paradox needs to make a buck, but wow no way to make $ since you have to learn the skill to make charms and it takes a while since its down a chain of skills.

I think new people will leave, and old will go back to h&h, remember games only get one release and one chance with alot of players.

I for one won't be spending a dime in the cash shop if this goes live... i'll grind stuff out however long it takes if i play at all, I won't be rewarding this kind of bologna. I was afraid of something like this when they announced a FREEish game, this is why i avoid free games blatant money grabs and excessive grinds for very little return.

Captain

IMHO I think not buying arrowheads and feathers is a very bad idea. Especially if you aren't able to buy guide homesteads. I have no idea how a new player will make money. They will get a free spawn, but will it include a homestead for them to return to Boston? So a new player will have to spend (on average) maybe a week to be able to kill beavers to sell the hides, to then buy nails to build a leanto? How will new players make money? I just don't understand.

PS Can we sell iron bars to Boston, for say 100 silver or whatever?

Just a note, thank goodness I just bought my town writ yesterday....lol.
    Last edited by JinxDevona; 29-05-2012 at 07:14.
    "It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war." ~John F. Kennedy

General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Bean View Post
    Labouring (Skill): Allows you to carry more dirt, and reduces the phlegm cost for digging.
    Awesome!! Will it just be one skill or a chain similar to hiking>hill climbing>...?

Upon first learning Survival skills, you will be given a temporary buff that allows you one free wilderness spawn. Said buff can also be used to spawn by another player's claim, provided you know that player's Homestead Secret. Further Wilderness spawns can be purchased at 30s a pop. Homestead Spawns cannot be purchased. Learning "The Rights of Englishmen" will entirely remove your ability to use the Wilderness Guides.
    Most excellent plans!! Kills about a half dozen issues with one stone. Any idea how long the buff will last? Would hate for it to be 5-10 minutes or even an hour and get disconnected and not able to get back on right away.

@BassToMouth: There's not a skill you need maple leaves for. Look for alternatives. There's tons. I've not used a single one since about 2 hrs into playing (in alpha testing).

It makes nearby impossible build town bell to small commune, I understand raiders declaim areas and stuff, but I think you should sell first Town Charter at the old price then all next at new.

It seems like arrow heads and feathers have the same spawn rate now (or I could just be getting extremely lucky). It should not effect new players as you really don't need to buy anything before you have the skill to make savage charms (this is also a good way to make a little cash when the game goes live :P).
    Last edited by McWafflez; 29-05-2012 at 11:36.
    Hermits with benefits.

Enter all ye who seek knowledge : Salem Wiki

For the MotherlandVictoria II: Heart of DarknessHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by alt255 View Post
    I think new people will leave, and old will go back to h&h, remember games only get one release and one chance with alot of players.
    I think you might be jumping the gun here a bit. The game is not going to be released yet and we are beta testers supposing to test these changes and provide (constructive) feedback.
    When I use this color, I have my moderator hat on. Forum User Agreement and Rules

Captain

Yes, I too have noticed, just in a quick walk to grab some stones for the new skill, that I found 2 feathers. Sadly no arrowheads...lol. But I do think they upped the feather spawn rate, at least it seems that way. Maybe the savage charm thing won't be so bad after all, well if the feather spawn rate is truly upped.

I agree with Letar. This is beta testing. They will learn much from all the feedback (good or bad). This game is far from launching. And who says a game gets one release and one chance with a lot of players? That is so not true. If I can discover a little basement alpha game, years after it started, and fall in love, then recruit several others, who then recruited several others, etc... then a majorly publicized, funded game like this, will find new players continuously.
    "It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war." ~John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast