+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don't trust Papal armies

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Don't trust Papal armies

I responded to a Crusade for Jerusalem to get the Crusader points and arrived in the Holy Land expecting to see a crowd, but it was only the Papacy's 4k and my own 5k troops. I promptly beseiged the county next to the Papacy and waited for the Arabs to come screaming out of the dunes. It took awhile, but soon a 7k strong Caliphate army appeared on the screen, headed right for the Pope's army. He was doomed unless I left my position to reinforce, so I marched my boys through the burning sands and met the infidels as they engaged the Pope's army. It was a slaughter.

Having abandoned the first seige, I elected to sit with the Papacy to hurry their siege. As soon as the first Barony fell they moved. I don't like leaving enemy troops behind the lines, so I stayed to finish it off. Another 7k Caliph army strolled into the picture. As tghey moved towards the Papacy, I maneuvered again to reinforce. To my surprise (it was a bit more than that at the time) the Pope left me right before the Caliph hit, leaving me to die in the desert sun.

As it turned out, we finally won the Crusade, with me as biggest contributor. After declaring myself King of Jerusalem to see what benefits there are to that (do it if you can!) I gave away the Holy Land to.... the Knights Templar. It would have been the Pope, but never again.

Besides, I figure the Knights deserve whatever they can get after what happened to them on Friday 13.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k club

yeah the ai armies can be real asses when they want to be. i always check that if im going to reinforce an allied army, that it isnt trying to move away from the battle.
    Voltaire - "I would rather be ruled by one lion than by one hundred rats."

My Inkwell

Regent-Custodian of the Light riknap's Avatar

Blog Entries
    you could have attached your army to theirs if that's what you wanted...
    LUX INVICTA! Rebuild the Empire of Megas Alexandros! Restore Roman Glory! Banish the Dark Ages!
    >>[Subsidiary Modules] [Frequent Questions] [Gameplay Guide] [Changelogs] [LUX INVICTA AETERNA]<<

Saeculum Obscurum: A Late Antiquity Mod, Fall of the Western Roman Empire and Rise of the Early Medieval Era. [beta state]
    LIBERT3 Primary Portal, for the Lux Invicta Buildings & Events, Retinues & Tactics, Traits & Technology Module. [INTEGRATED]
    Advanced Battles & Combat Depth Essentials. Planning portal for a comprehensive tactics overhaul project. [WIP - RESUMED]
    El Psy Congroo: Battle for world-line delta. A role-playing invasion modification. [WIP - EXP farming]

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by riknap View Post
    you could have attached your army to theirs if that's what you wanted...
    I thought about that after the fact,and wondered if un-attaching after a battle is possible. I really don't like not having control. I guess that would have been the smart move if all I was after was the crusader points, I wouldn't even have to pay attention. Maybe next time.

Thanks riknap!

200k clubA Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

In what year was that? Armies seem quiet small for war with the Caliphate.

Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Papaman View Post
    In what year was that? Armies seem quiet small for war with the Caliphate.
    I'm thinking it was 1225-1250'ish, I remember thinking that being King of Jerusalem that early was going to give me a good final score.

I was surprised by the smallness too... I felt suckered by my first several Crusades, strutting around with 10k troops until 3 stacks of 15 showed up ans massacred everybody. In this one, I noticed the Pope did turn down offers from my Dukes to join, which I thought was strange.

The Holy Land did look more chopped up than usual when I got there, maybe they had just finished a civil war?

+ Reply to Thread