• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(489981)

Second Lieutenant
5 Badges
May 13, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
So, I have heard from various source on here the Mongols will arrive in giant doomstacks that don't suffer attrition and have no need of casus belli's.

As thw Kingdom of Rus this concerns me greatly, esepciall since the only thing standing between me and them are the tiny states of Cumans(Soon to be eradicated by me) and the Turkmens.

So, I was wondering whether or not my Kingdom could withstand this Mongol menace, me being the largest Kingdom in Europe currently(Dwarfing both the HRE and ERE).

Here's a screenshot of the kingdom(note: This is not up to date, as the Cumans recently lost a fief to me due to a holy war)http://steamcommunity.com/id/innocentvendetta/screenshot/540676547591126815

Provinces don't kill mongols, soldiers kill mongols, so the important thing isn't how big your empire is, but how advanced the military buildings are and how much of that levy you actually get to raise.
The mongols arrive in multiple stacks of about 20k soldiers each and get regular reinforcements, so you should have a levy of about 50k soldiers to be safe.

Provinces don't kill mongols, soldiers kill mongols, so the important thing isn't how big your empire is, but how advanced the military buildings are and how much of that levy you actually get to raise.
The mongols arrive in multiple stacks of about 20k soldiers each and get regular reinforcements, so you should have a levy of about 50k soldiers to be safe.

Well, currently I can only raise about 27k max, so I probalby need to begin enacting some stricter feudal laws and crown authority.

Aye, if you can raise a 50k army (and afford to keep it in the field), defeating them is not a problem. They'll arrive as 20k stacks, typically in one huge doomstack, but they'll fan out as they complete sieges. Then you can destroy them 20k-40k at a time.

And when judging the size of your empire don't look at the space of it fills up on the map look at your realm size number and the open up the legder and go to independent states. It will till you how many soldiers you have and where you rank.

But like everyone said if you can hold a levy of more then 20k you may be fine. One thing I would say is I like to have more then two to three times the man power then an attacking army so if you don't have that yet, save money and hire mercs that way you can defend and also push in with a counteroffensive.

Don't quote me but you should be ok for a little while.
The first band to appear are the ilkhanate and they sweep south through modern day Turkey and Iraq through to Arabia. If you are lucky you may escape them but it will give you an idea of what they can do.
Then comes the golden horde.... They sweep all the way through to the HRE in most of my games, taking out Hungary and sometimes Poland.

If you're extremely fortunate, they'll go south into the Seljuks (if they're still left after the IlKhanate) or the ERE. Otherwise, just raise 30k or more and defend against them til you win.

All right, well since I know the Ilkhanate will ignore me in favor of the turks, this gives me some more time.

Is TGH strionger than the Ilkhanite?
I am fairly certain that they are. Atleast, they usually take more territories and hold it together better than the Ilkhanate.

Bear in mind that a good chunk of the mongols' 20k stacks consists of horse archers, which are apparently the strongest units in the game. They will devour your soul, if you go at them with too even numbers.

their doomstacks are epicly storng. no attrition, no upkeep, horsearchers that kill you en masse. i'd advice you to try and have 50k at the least, preferably 70k, and try get your dynasty in charge of powerhouses as the HRE. they may not join immideatly, but some 10k doomstacks will delay and take out routed armies of the mongols. also, build up your castles on your borders. you want a as large as possible garrison and levy there. keep the levy in it, and the mongols will be stuck there sieging them for year after year while you assemble the rest of your armies. take them out one by one with superiour numbers(3/1 preferred). IF you can, you could try and let your vassels become altaic culture, as they get riding grounds that give horsearchers as well(something i do often as russian state). russian special building is crap anyway as it erodes the extremly powerfull HC, one f the few unit sthat can stand up to HA in slightly superiour numbers.