• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JetFire77

Second Lieutenant
80 Badges
Apr 10, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Cities in Motion
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
How could i change my religion ? Because i want to vassalige and i can't because we 2 divriend religion. (sry for bad english)

How could i change my religion ? Because i want to vassalige and i can't because we 2 divriend religion. (sry for bad english)

You can vassalize anyone by force regardless of religion.

As a christian you can only switch to other aspects of christianity, either through reformation or by losing a war and picking switch religion.

Pretty sure you can change religion to any other one by changing capital to a province of the needed religion and running bankrupt.not sure though.

Well, I was talking more in terms of non-gamey ways >_>

I'm russia and i want to vassalige norway . They r protestant and i'm the ortodox. I haven't any faith rebelion. I want to do it in peace because it was long to even ally with them. Btw. I was fighting adainst 1 pirate carraka and i went in with 222 ships [most carrakas(about 150)] and i got to coward and i went out with 150 ships ! WTF ?!?!?!?!?!?! ok, it was maintense fault. How could i get more maitence ?

Last edited:
I think JetFire77 is trying to vassilize his allies. You need to have the same religion to do that.

Accept the demands of zealot rebels will convert your religion to their religion.

You don't need the same religion to offer vassalization I think (assuming both are christian). Hard to get alliances with non-christians.
Also they can only be 3 provinces or lower in size.

I'm russia and i want to vassalige norway . They r protestant and i'm the ortodox. I haven't any faith rebelion. I want to do it in peace because it was long to even ally with them. Btw. I was fighting adainst 1 pirate carraka and i went in with 222 ships [most carrakas(about 150)] and i got to coward and i went out with 150 ships ! WTF ?!?!?!?!?!?!

If they are more than 3 provinces large you can't offer vassalization.

I'm russia and i want to vassalige norway . They r protestant and i'm the ortodox. I haven't any faith rebelion. I want to do it in peace because it was long to even ally with them. Btw. I was fighting adainst 1 pirate carraka and i went in with 222 ships [most carrakas(about 150)] and i got to coward and i went out with 150 ships ! WTF ?!?!?!?!?!?! ok, it was maintense fault. How could i get more maitence ?

Your maintenance of navies and armies can be changed in the tab where you can change your unit type, I believe, under the image of a conquistador helmet and sword (correct me if I'm wrong). Maintenance should be kept at full capacity during war and less so at times of peace.

About converting Norway, you have to declare war on them with the "Cleansing of Heresy" causus belli, then demand they change religion as tribute.

Is you are christian, you can change to another Christian religion by declaring war on a country with that religion, then offering to change your religion to end the war.

But he writes he wants to offer vassalization. But he can't do that anyhow if they are to large. So the point of changing their religion really is moot.

Well, I was talking more in terms of non-gamey ways >_>
Ivan, you didn't offer any "non-gamey" solution. Rather, you offered none, because peaceful vassalage can be done across the same religious group so switching religion through war (which some consider as "gamey") or reformation is a useless piece of advice.

The only real solutions to changing to a religion in a different religious group are:
1. Going bankrupt as an OPM with capital province having the desired religion
2. Being broken while having a province occupied by a zealot rebel of the desired religion (and that being the only type of zealot rebel in your realm)

Another way of peace vassalizing different religion minors is to change to a different religion in your religious group (i.e. Catholic -> Protestant), put zero maintenance missionaries on provinces bordering your target (with your old religion of course), bounce lots of religious rebels onto his territories, and then find a way to get him to break.

Ivan, you didn't offer any "non-gamey" solution. Rather, you offered none, because peaceful vassalage can be done across the same religious group so switching religion through war (which some consider as "gamey") or reformation is a useless piece of advice.

The only real solutions to changing to a religion in a different religious group are:
1. Going bankrupt as an OPM with capital province having the desired religion
2. Being broken while having a province occupied by a zealot rebel of the desired religion (and that being the only type of zealot rebel in your realm)

Another way of peace vassalizing different religion minors is to change to a different religion in your religious group (i.e. Catholic -> Protestant), put zero maintenance missionaries on provinces bordering your target (with your old religion of course), bounce lots of religious rebels onto his territories, and then find a way to get him to break.

I also wrote that peaceful vass can be done over different religious groups (assuming both are christian etc)? Assuming Norway is 3 provinces or smaller ofc.