+ Reply to Thread

Thread: King Svend II of Denmark missing grandmother

King Svend II of Denmark missing grandmother

I just started a new game, and I'm beginning as King Svend II of Denmark in 1066. I was reading up on his family like I always want to do, and I noticed his father had nothing, and his grandfather on that side had no wife at any point? Was this some kind of affair? I read up on the family a little on Wikipedia but found no mention of the grandfather's (Torkel Styrbjörnsson) wife or affair or whatever there either.

There are many people famously, especially in the regions with little to no practiced writing, in which we have no idea who their parents/grandparents/siblings/children are. The only way you would know who his grandfather was is if he was mentioned in writing somewhere that has been discovered. Its extremely likely that his grandmother's name was never mentioned in any kind of letter or family records. We know all of the Emperors of Rome because people wrote about all of them; the great-great grandfather of the King of Nowheresville? Not so much.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneThe Kings Crusade
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Denmark is not exactly "Nowheresville" but what the idea is if there are no records easily available on a specific character then they do not exist and the historic tie in to a living character is left blank. If you do manage to find some historic relative that is not in the game, you can always mod the history file to have that character be present.

Committed Anti-P'doxian Sleight of Hand's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

If you think it's a bug and/or you can find a source stating who the missing/incorrect person was, report your findings in the bug forum.
    For awesome CK II graphical stuff please click here and here.

I'm currently working on my own set of semi-historical scenarios for CK II. ETA: Q1 '15.

remember that Svend II inherited his throne through his mother, and his father was Ulf Jarl (equilient of duke) of questionable pedigree. Some stories tell that Ulf Jarl is the grandson of Styrbjörn the strong, son of King Oluf Munsö of Sweden (d. 975) and Tyra of Denmark, Daughter of Harald Bluetooth. But its uncertain if thats true or just an invented heritage to promote his rights
    Last edited by Sian; 26-05-2012 at 13:25.

Cool guys, thanks for the responses! So my poor ruler has a questionable past. Excellent :-)

+ Reply to Thread