• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Because the normal launch witht the wrapper doesn't work, I have to launch indebug with "warn+heap" in the debug box. But I dunno why its doing that. I really hope they fix the "mac" (and linux) version of the game. Its quite troublesome for now.... Or that MAc will update the software for the card !!

zmb: It was weird, whenever I clicked on certain character faces, I crashed. It might have to do with the banner that house had or something, but as one of the characters was my ruler, i was kind of doomed, it was an existing Barcelona game, and it went very well, but it is frustrating to have to fight the same war 10 times because it crashed before I could save...
Other times, it just crashed when saving a game!!! And didnt save it, ofc...
so i just started it using ck2.exe again. The crashes still happen, so I will uninstall mono

Because the normal launch witht the wrapper doesn't work, I have to launch indebug with "warn+heap" in the debug box. But I dunno why its doing that. I really hope they fix the "mac" (and linux) version of the game. Its quite troublesome for now.... Or that MAc will update the software for the card !!
I am not sure I understand what you are describing. There is wine and winedbg. The former is a normal wine, the latter allows you to run windows programs in debug mode. If all you need is "warn+heap" (to ignore some memory access errors) you don't need to run in debug mode. Something like
WINEDEBUG=warn+heap wine ck2
should work. With gamersgate version you list DLC on the same line after ck2, not sure about steam version

DLC enabled

I got the game working with DLC. Here is a tutorial to install steam and the game.

1. Install Winetricks (i.e. in your bin folder).
wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks
sudo chmod +x winetricks

2. Install Steam via Winetricks.
$./winetricks steam

This will create a local Steam WINEPREFIX, which is located from your home-directory ".local/share/wineprefixes/".
More on that later. I remember I got some problems because Steam was installed in 'Program Files'-folder.
So I needed to move the Steam-folder to another folder (i.e. C:/Games/Steam). To do this, locate the Steam folder
(i.e. from your home-folder ".local/share/wineprefixes/steam/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Steam/" and follow these
instructions aquired from the Steam:s support page:
-----------
The following instructions are a simple way to move your Steam installation along with your games:

1. Exit the Steam client application.
2. Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation you would like to move (C:\Program Files\Steam by default).
3. Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
4. Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
5. Launch Steam and log into your account.

Steam will briefly update and then you will be logged into your account. For installed games, verify your game cache files and you
will be ready to play. All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder (D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\ in this example)
------------
SOURCE: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

3. Install DirectX and Visual C++ 2010 libraries via Winetricks (maybe also wininet, leave it out if the game works).
$./winetricks d3dx9 vcrun2010

4. Install Microsoft.NET (only required if you want to enable DLC)
To activate the DLC, the game needs to be run from steam, though it is needed only one time. Steam launches the
ck2game.exe binary, which needs the Microsoft.NET Framework version 2 (dotnet20). I'm not sure why, but I needed to specify
the Steam WINEPREFIX when installing dotnet20:
$WINEPREFIX=/home/your_username/.local/wineprefixes/steam/ ./winetricks dotnet20

5. Launching Steam.
You need to launch steam from console to be able to use the WINEDEBUG="warn+heap" variables, otherwise the game may crash.
NOTE: You need to launch it from your Steam-directory. navigate to it i.e:
$cd /home/your_username/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/dosdevices/c:/
$cd Games/Steam/
Run steam with the WINEPREFIX:
$WINEPREFIX=/home/your_username/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/ WINEDEBUG="warn+heap" steam

Install the game and run it from Steam.

6. Close Steam and run the game without Steam.
Now the DLC should be activated and you can run the game with enabled DLC without Steam.
NOTE: You need to run the game from your game-directory (otherwise it will crash at startup), navigate to it i.e.:
$cd /home/your_username/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/dosdevices/c:/
$cd Games/Steam/steamapps/common/crusader\ kings\ ii/
Run Crusader Kings II with the WINEPREFIX:
$WINEPREFIX=/home/your_username/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/ WINEDEBUG="warn+heap" ck2game

You can execute the game binary ck2.exe instead of ck2game.exe if the game crashes, or if you failed to install dotnet20.
Though the DLC will not be enabled.

7. Create a shell script for your game (i.e. in your bin-folder)
Create a file and name to i.e. 'ckii.sh'.
Paste this in and change to your username, wineprefix steam folder and game folder:
#!/bin/sh
cd /home/johannes/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/dosdevices/c:/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/crusader\ kings\ ii/
WINEPREFIX=/home/johannes/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/ WINEDEBUG="warn+heap" wine ck2game.exe

Make the file runnable.
$chmod +x ckii.sh

Hope everything works!

Hi.

I've tried to install the gamersgate version with this tutorial on a mid-2012 MBA (i5 8Go Ram with Intel HD 4000) but there is a crash when installing DirectX (it says that i do not have the minimum requirements). So when i launched the game i have few images but it happens to crash before i can reach the menu.

Does anyone have any clue ? I'm a bit lost here.

Moreover, I put the game on parallels desktop and it is playable but really really slow when armies are coming. Unplayable.

A bit desperate after 5 hours of research, if anyone can help me he/she is more than welcome.
Thanks

Hi,

I am terrible with computers and cannot get past the error above where the error notice appears. i dont know how to properly move the wrapper to the desktop so it is not on the dmg file still.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mike5, when you open the dmg file, there should be 3 icons (Applications Alias, Crusader Kings 2.app, Read me first!!.rtf) each in a big white circle, with an arrow pointing towards the Application one. Drag the CK2 icon onto the Applications icon. This will copy it to *your* Applications folder. Now eject the CK2 disk, you're done with it. Go to your Applications folder to use the app.

To get the Steam version to work:

I applied VonSensburg's original instructions, at which point, of course, CK2 1.06b crashes. (I had to hit play once to get the C++ bit loaded, and again to get the DirectX bit.)

So I applied the bit about adding "warn+heap" to WINEDEBUG, and running in debug mode (Test Run). ("err+all,fixme+all" was already there, so I just added ",warn+heap".) Now it runs well. Every so often, the land flicks to dark then back, but not bad. I didn't actually play, just messed about in the tutorial a bit, and it looks good.

To get the DLC to work, I took zmb's advice: Download and install Mono 2.8, add the path in RegEdit. Run Steam and start CK2 from there, to download and authorize the DLC. Quit CK2 & Steam. Set the Wineskin to run ck2game.exe, not ck2.exe, in debug mode with warn+heap as above. If you buy new DLC, again run Steam & CK2 to activate it, then switch back to ck2game.exe.

You might be able to just run via Steam all the time, but running directly is quicker. :cool:

Now I'm just wondering if there's a way to get the Wineskin wrapper to run in debug mode directly, instead of having to run the internal Wineskin app and select Test Run in Advanced mode...

Hi.

I've tried to install the gamersgate version with this tutorial on a mid-2012 MBA (i5 8Go Ram with Intel HD 4000) but there is a crash when installing DirectX (it says that i do not have the minimum requirements). So when i launched the game i have few images but it happens to crash before i can reach the menu.
Those tutorials are for steam. With gamersgate version you should just run installer (wine <installer>) and then run the game itself (WINEDEBUG=warn+heap wine ck2). That's on Linux, but it should be the same on Mac. Of course, if you're getting an error about hardware not meeting minimum requirements things might get complicated.

and for those with problems there is also another "ugly" solution:

I'm curious as to exactly what this is supposed to fix. The flickering is still there, and I can't see this stopping the crash that occurs every time after a few hours of play. I suppose it might make the scrolling/zooming faster, but that isn't a prime issue.

I got the launcher to load. However, it just comes to a large grey window that has the normal background for it and the "News" loaded in the top middle. There aren't any buttons or anything to click after that happens though. Any ideas?

So i have followed the above directions and am still having problems.

Running ck2game.exe opens the launcher, and then the game opens. However, I am stuck with a black screen and rotating hour glass mouse icon. This eventually transitions to a hand mouse icon, and nothing happens from there.

The same happens if I run ck2.exe

Is there a solution?

So I bought the game, knowing that I would have to use wine to make it work. Unfortunately I cannot even get the wine solution to work. When I tried it, i got to the step where you are supposed to install steam, but all that happens is it says "No new executables found! Maybe the installer failed...?" and I can't get pass that. So I cant even get far enough to try and play it because when I try to just play the game the screen just flashes and sends me the error message.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work somehow? I dont really know any of that coding stuff that people keep saying, so try and keep it in layman's terms. Thanks!

PaultheTall made the Wine Wrapper in the tutorial, and even his instructions plainly state that it will not work with the Intel HD 3000 card. I have an Intel HD 3000 Macbook Air 13 2012, and even thought I was able to get the game to at least start using the Wrapper, it promptly crashes anyway. After several crashes, the Wrapper will decide to just stop working, and the game will not load again. You'll then have to reinstall, repeat the process, and eventually give up. So, even though this USED to work, supposedly, it is definitely not working now. I would suggest everyone with a Macbook with an Intel HD 3000 (and that's about 2/3 of all Mac users) contact Paradox and ask that they create a fix for this. Otherwise, we are both out 29 bucks, and worse, out an awesome game!

I tend to use windows to play games, but do use other operating systems and don't always have access to a windows machine. What I'm curious about is how the performance is running CK2 through wine on a decent mid-top range PC. Sometimes CK2 slows down and lags quite a bit under windows, so I'm dubious trying to spend the time getting it working under wine. Could anyone who has managed to get this working (which seems like a few) give any feedback on any performance issues (not counting game crashes!).

I tend to use windows to play games, but do use other operating systems and don't always have access to a windows machine. What I'm curious about is how the performance is running CK2 through wine on a decent mid-top range PC. Sometimes CK2 slows down and lags quite a bit under windows, so I'm dubious trying to spend the time getting it working under wine. Could anyone who has managed to get this working (which seems like a few) give any feedback on any performance issues (not counting game crashes!).
On oldish machine (~5 years old) I had lag as they game have progressed, both in Windows and wine and perhaps to similar degree. Initial startup and loading/saving is much faster under wine (presumably because of underlying file system). On newish machine (perhaps mid-range specs) I don't have any performance issues at all under wine. I can't compare to Windows on that box since it's Linux-only. Btw, I don't have any crashes at all.

But I imagine performance you see under wine is significantly dependent on quality of video drivers available for your OS. All my boxes have NVidia cards and they usually have pretty good Linux drivers.

On oldish machine (~5 years old) I had lag as they game have progressed, both in Windows and wine and perhaps to similar degree. Initial startup and loading/saving is much faster under wine (presumably because of underlying file system). On newish machine (perhaps mid-range specs) I don't have any performance issues at all under wine. I can't compare to Windows on that box since it's Linux-only. Btw, I don't have any crashes at all.

But I imagine performance you see under wine is significantly dependent on quality of video drivers available for your OS. All my boxes have NVidia cards and they usually have pretty good Linux drivers.
Thanks for your response. I have a decently high spec computer, so I'm guessing it would probably be ok. I've just not tried using wine for windows games for quite a number of years and it used to be the case that wine was very temperamental and unstable in a lot of cases. I'll probably give it a try when I get chance to install and set it up.