• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(254030)

First Lieutenant
3 Badges
Jan 24, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
Imperium Offtopicum: Dies the Fire​

March 17, 1998. An event known as The Change forever alters the course of history. An electromagnetic pulse felt across the globe hits in an instant, and then disappears just as quickly. All electronic devices cease to work, and the very laws of physics appear to be affected. Rapid combustion reactions no longer occur; gunpowder, instead of creating unimaginable force, sizzles and sputters when lit. Within days, civilization begins to deteriorate into a seething mass of lawlessness and horror. Starvation soon becomes a major issue, with food all but stripped from supermarkets; millions die and the global population is a fraction of what it was pre-Change after a few short weeks. Governments the world over collapse, communication between settlements is set to nearly a standstill, and rioting becomes warfare as gang lords forge inter-city kingdoms where the only law is the strength of one’s arm. Those not killed or enslaved in the larger towns and cities disperse throughout the land, creating or joining new outposts of civilization in the sea of chaos.
It has been six months since the Change. You stand on the edge of a city, moving with several thousand others towards what used to be the fringes of society. You feel the tug of honest work and hard labor, a fair life in a world of death, as you look towards the front of the pack. Peering back, you feel the burning sensation of lust and anger, supplemented by a life of lawlessness and pleasure-seeking. What life will you choose? What future shall you create?

Game Rules:

As always, the usual. Be respectful of other players, do not ruin the game through spam, and the GM’s word is law. There shall be no photos of personal messages, the posting of which shall result in the immediate termination of your nation. Message me at any time, about any issues you have.

Joining the Game:

Create a nation by downloading the map and coloring in a single territory for your nation. Provide a name for your nation, as well as a leader(s) and select a bonus. You must be at least one territory away from another nation at game start. Feel free to RP as much as you want, including during the game. Does your clan/nation/group/commonwealth/etc. have a dictator? A council? What is their history? How did they get to where they are? Feel free to be a bit wild here, if you so wish. The novel is set in America and it is rather unlikely that naval capabilities would return to a level to transport militaries within the beginning of the game, so I scrapped navies and a global map altogether. But I understand that you might want to be, say, Britain. You could claim, for this pre-game roleplaying, that, say, every British sailing ship made it to Boston somehow, and created the British Boston Commonwealth with the ten-thousand or so settlers on the ships, who then took fealty from the hundred-thousand or so locals who survived. Have fun with it, and be creative. However, I wouldn’t mind a Republic of Texas or some such ‘more likely’ nation in its stead, of course. Each nation begins with the equivalent of 3 military units, which will be discussed later on.

The map:

iodiesthefirefinalmap.png

National Bonuses:

Natural Leadership: Foot-soldiers never have negative morale rolls, +1 to rolls when on defense.

Animal Whisperer: Cavalry never have negative morale rolls, and cannot be destroyed by Charge effects.

Inventive: Start with the ability to make gliders, at tier 2 Glider technology.

Warfare:

Each unit can travel any distance each turn, until a battle is reached ie a new territory.

There are three types of units, each with its own abilities:

Foot-soldiers: The basic game unit, which costs 2 IP. At least one is required to siege territories.

Cavalry: Horsemen who can strike terror in the ranks, which cost 4 IP. Cavalry can charge on offense, which negates defender morale bonuses and gives +1 to the charger’s attack. This has a 15% chance in resulting in the destruction of the Cavalry, if victorious.

Glider: Brave men who dare to fly over the battlefield, dropping buckets of whatever nasty surprises can be found, be it arrowheads to snakes to boiling water; they cost 5 IP each. Do not contribute a dice roll, but automatically add +2 to all defensive dice rolls in its stationed territory. Cannot be used in offense, and are only used inside owned territories. Does not travel, but one can be used to defend any owned territory once per turn, with a maximum of one per battle. Cannot be destroyed in battle, but for each territory relinquished the losing defender loses one glider.

Before each battle is calculated, a 6-sided die is rolled with the following possibilities:

1: -1 to combat rolls
2: -1 to combat rolls
3: 0 change
4: +1 to combat rolls
5: +1 to combat rolls
6: +2 to combat rolls

EDIT: this is morale; it is a general factor for an army. I have edited it a tad.

Then, one unit from each side is paired with one from the other side. A 10-sided die is rolled for each, and the larger number destroys the other, after morale, charge, glider, and trait effects have been calculated in. Fighting continues until the side with the greater number of soldiers (excluding gliders) has used all its soldiers once. The defender must re-use units to defend against greater numbers.

Natural Leaders begin with 3 Foot-soldiers.

Animal Whisperers begin with 2 Foot-soldiers and 3 IP invested in a Cavalry.

Inventors begin with 2 Foot-soldiers and 4 IP invested in a Glider.

Undefended owned territories shall be automatically given to the conquering player, when attacked by at least one foot soldier. Do not forget that units can travel anywhere, but once engaged in a battle cannot move again that turn; thus, armies will not reach farther than one territory from one’s borders. If you commit all your troops to defending one territory, the enemy could sneak in and take a different one; they are first stationed in whichever territory they are created, and after that in whichever they end their turn. All movements are calculated before battles each turn.

EDIT: Units may travel the same turn they are created.

Industry:

Each territory produces 1 IP. Capitals, starting positions, produce 2 IP. It can be used the same turn it is earned, so each nation starts with 2 IP. It can be banked, but a running bank must be mentioned each turn in one’s Orders post. There is also CP, which is earned for roleplaying. It can be banked also, and used as 1IP/1 CP in creating armies or 2IP/1CP investing in technology. The maximum CP possible to be earned per turn is 3, with amount of CP given based holistically and with no set rubric.

EDIT: IP may be given to other nations, either as a bribe, a gift, or as a part of a trade for military assistance. Units themselves may not be traded. Such exchanges of IP, due to their constituting diplomacy, may be done secretly via PM or openly in your turn-ly Orders post.

Roleplaying:

CP is earned through roleplaying, and sticking to a theme(s) for your nation is a great way to make the game “realistic” and thus have an easier time earning CP. If you have a running feud with a nation, and stick to policies which antagonize this group, there is the possibility of earning CP. Besides this, there is the normal method of having role-playing posts; great examples may be found in previous IO games.

Technology:

There are three tiers of research in each branch, the first costing 25 IP, the second 50, the third 75:

Army:
Tier I (Training): +1 to combat rolls (stacked)
Tier II (Archery School): +2 to combat rolls (stacked)
Tier III (Steel Armor): Negates ¾ the effect of gliders.

Gliders:
Tier I (Breakthrough): Can produce Gliders
Tier II (Hot-air balloons): +2 to effect (stacked)
Tier III (Expert Pilots): +1 to effect (stacked), can use 2 in a battle

Cavalry:
Tier I (Experienced Horses): +1 to effect; lowers chance of negative effect to 10%
Tier II (Bloodlust): +1 to combat rolls (stacked), +2 to effect (stacked); raises chance of negative effect to 20%
Tier III (Professional Riders): +1 to effect (stacked), chance of effect lowered to 5%.

Diplomacy:

This is all on you. You can make any treaty trading anything or agreeing to anything, and break any treaty no matter how binding. They can be secret or public, but remember secret treaties can be a double-edged sword. There is one rule: War between two nations must be publicly announced, before any battles are calculated.

Magic:

As magic eventually became a central theme of the novels, the following system may be implemented:
10 CP/20 IP rolls a die; if a 6 is rolled that nation receives 30 IP as a gift from the Gods. (I really don’t know how to fairly implement divine will, so this sort of luck is all I can think of; having temples built/religious fervor [the investment] provides the chance of earning favor).

Updates:

After I have received half the orders, I will post a 24 hour countdown to the next turn. If I receive fewer than half the orders after three days, I will enact the countdown and message the unresponsive players. YOU are only allowed one Orders post per turn, in which you must place your orders. It must be titled Orders for _________ . For RP posts, you are allowed to fuse them with Orders posts, or make them separate, in their own color of your choice with a title mentioning which nation it is for in some way. For OOC posts, just type in white (this is all for my sake). I will use what is in the FIRST Orders post for each nation per turn in determining what their orders are; these posts must be edited if orders are changed, and their appearance as I am about to calculate the turn determines my calculations for those nations that turn.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, and with my sincere apologies, but it should be known- orders for unit creation and movement may be PM'ed to me, and they shall remain hidden. Look to my post in the development thread for more about this.

Two players have agreed to a system, so I'm going to roll with it. To further your knowledge of the game, I suggest new players look at previous games of IO as well as the development thread for this game. If anyone has any questions, look to the development thread for this game as well.

I've been ordered to cite this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=444560
What a spectacle. Well, my apologies to any offended party over at Civfanatics, as mentioned on page 2.

Last edited:
Current Map: May 2000

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The black squares are armies. Black Circles are cavalry.

As people join, I will add players here. This map shall be updated each turn. Please post all entries as nations into this thread, as mentioned in the rules above, even those of you who have joined in the development thread.

EDIT: Any love for the new map? :p

ENTRY CLOSED.

Last edited:
EXAMPLE SUBMISSION of a new country, to clear up things:

(As this cannot be a nation since it is next to another starting position, I will use South Fl. as an example)

Republic of Swamplandia

President: Thomas Gage

Capital: Fort Meyers

Starting location: South Florida

National Bonus: Inventive

Thomas Gage knew he was destined for great things. When The Event came, he left his houseboat and took his hobby of hang gliding to the cities- what was left of them, anyway. Soon gaining followers, Gage managed to create a republic with some semblance of order in Southern Florida after the Event, negating much of the gang warfare which gripped northern cities; starvation, however, was a major problem. Gage earned love by demonstrating how to catch and cook various swamp delicacies, thus allowing many people to survive. He looks to bring his message of hang gliding and gator stew to all the world!

Alright, so the description is optional, the name of a leader is optional but recommended. Otherwise, this is a barebones post. You can decide on a national color yourself so I do not assign you one (map-wise), you can do some IC stuff if you want, you can create a flag for your nation/people. To the few people already signed up, please make a similar entry into this thread for this "turn 0".

Last edited:
Once Again, with Feeling!

Suwannee Administrative Region (U.S.A.)

National color: Gray

Administrator: Deliah Toruson

Capital: Tallahassee

Starting location: Suwannee

National Bonus: Natural Leader

While the bulk of the nation descended into a chaotic Hades, this region pulled together.

Why? There is no one reason; they certainly weren’t smarter than the rest of America, nor braver, and certainly not wealthier in natural resources. It was not a Utopia, but whereas the surrounding areas fought bitterly among themselves for individual advantage, the people of Suwannee generally strove for the common good. Starvation was rampant, and the die off in the first year was beyond even the numbers of the Holocaust. Yet civil society (even under martial law that would have done the late nation of North Korea proud) never really collapsed. It was a time reminiscent of the Siege of Leningrad, where a grandparent would slowly starve to death to insure the grandchild would have a bit more to eat.

Communities pulled together, for they knew that otherwise the horrors reported in other regions would descend on them. The police, civil authorities, and local military units all performed herculean labors to ensure the security of as much of the populace as possible.

While the goals of twenty-first century science were lost to them, the local colleges, universities, and research centers focused on the rediscovery of the technologies of the late nineteenth. For if electrical power was lost, steam still rose from boiling water and fires heating the water still burned. With that alone America conquered a continent a two centuries ago, and could do so again.

Yes, there were no more cars and planes, but the rails could flourish again, and steamships could continue to sail. The bulk of real knowledge was not lost along with the internets. Books still existed. There were scores of Universities in the region, hundreds of public libraries, and thousands of private collections of those tomes of knowledge. With that alone, and the efforts of a determined and educated people, a large degree of civilization could be restored in a relatively short time. Suwannee got to work on living and building the new future.

For the region, the core of the political system was the continued adherence to the Constitution, with those who submitted to Suwannee administration enjoying full protection under those laws. The rump nations’ rationale for existence is as a ‘temporary’ entity (remember Taiwan?), existing only until a duly constituted national government regained control. As time progressed, the temporary nature of the surrounding chaos appeared more permanent, until the people of Suwannee decided that the incorporation into the body politic of the various adjacent lawless and warlord enslaved areas deserved forceful encouragement.

Thus, the Suwannee began its expansion into neighboring areas, both for the political, moral, and economic benefits. They were a people with a revolutionary goal, to restore the U.S.A.

Last edited:
5UNJq.png

República de los Llanos

http://i.imgur.com/rhhGI.jpg

Leader: Hualulitepec

National bonus: Animal Whisperer.

Organization: Parliamentary republic.

Legislative: monocameral parliament, "The Elders", directly elected. Leader "Speaker for the People" elected internally, has no decision power but rather a communication/liaison role to the other branches of govt.

Executive:
"Speaks with the Spirit", aka president. Directly elected
"The Five", aka cabinet. Indirect elections (candidates for each position proposed by the general population; president chooses between 2-4 candidates for each position from the popular poll results; legislative has the final vote for each position)

Presidential order of succession: The Five in order 1 to 5, followed by Speaker for the People.

Judicial: local, non-centralized tribunals elected in communities. All judges meet regularly to decide on judicial procedure.

Smoke, The smoke rises. Its twirling spires draw fantastical shapes in the air.

Shadows. Shadows dance on the walls.

Sparks. Showers of sparks crackle and rise to the top.

The old man stands up slowly. A face appears in the smoke.

"The Great Spirit awakens. The Great Spirit is among us. After hundreds of years, the Great Spirit is again in communion with his children. Come all, and He will

speak to you. He will show you the way".

"He says You are the few. The chosen. The weak. The oppressed. The dispossessed. I have traveled far and wide, and wept all the way. Now I have returned. I have

looked at the Earth and shuddered. I have decided to give it a new start. A new meaning.

I have wiped off those who subjugated you. Now rise my children. Rise from the ashes. Look around. See the land. It's your land, take it. All you can see is yours.

Look at your neighbor. What do you see? They called you many names. Apaches. Pueblos. Mescaleros. Coahuiltecanos. Chicanos - yes, you are all my children. Take back

what they took from you. I give it back to you".

The face blurs. Smoke becomes smoke again, raising to the hole at the top. Murmurs follow it, then a chant arises. The old man passes another cup around.

"The Great Spirit has made his will clear. We will take back our land. All of it. We will be better and gentler with it then the White Man. We are one with the earth,

with the water, the air, the plants and the animals. We will not oppress those who want to join us with a pure heart.

Technology? Take a handful of the ashes around this place. There's your technology. That is what it brought us. We have fire and water. We will put them to work

together. They used to call us savages, but look at them now. We are as bright, if not brighter, than those who called us that. We will build a New World in tune with

the nature and the spirits".

"You all know me. I am Chalto. My son is Hualulitepec. He will lead you to this New World".

Last edited:
empirewyomingstarsmall.png

The Empire of Wyoming

Emperor: Charles I of the House of Shepherd

Capital: Cheyenne

Starting location: Wyoming

National Bonus: Natural Leadership

As the United States of America collapsed all around it, Wyoming endured. Due to extensive forward-planning, Wyoming managed to not only survive the collapse of the United States, but also prosper, retaining control of the major Wyomingite centres while the countryside and surrounding states all fell into chaos. The existing Wyoming state government was still in existence at this time. However, what looked like an imminent collapse of Wyoming as well caused it to become unstable. Deciding that he could not let Wyoming fall, Charles Shepherd, along with several leading members of the Wyomingite military, engineered a successful coup d'etat which resulted in the establishment of the Empire of Wyoming, with Charles crowning himself emperor. Following this relatively bloodless seizure of power, Wyoming entered a period of military build-up and economical growth. Patriotic citizens joining the Legions was a very common occurence. The resultant very mighty Wyoming military was swift in re-establishing control over those parts of Wyoming and surrounding states that had descended into chaos under the state government, uniting Wyoming once again.

"My fellow Wyomingites, I come to you in the wake of recent events to issue a call to reason. Let no human deny the perils of our time as the state government has done. While our surroundings descended into chaos, the corrupt state government was content in sitting around, doing nothing. While we battled against anarchy, they sat on their thrones, content to do nothing to hinder the tides of chaos sweeping across the nation. It is time for us as the people of Wyoming to act! The tides of an unwinnable war are upon us, a sea of chaos engulfing our surroundings, and we must seek refuge upon higher ground, lest we be swept away by the flood.
The rule of the corrupt state government is no more. Whatever semblance of unity and protection it might have provided were a phantom; a lie. With our chaos left unchecked, and the state government sitting in Cheyenne, who will you turn to for protection? The devastation brought by the chaos and anarchy of the collapse is self-evident. I endeavour to stop that, and shall make it my foremost goal.
The time has come, my fellow Wyomingites, to rally to a new banner. In unity lies strength; already many of the dissident factions and petty-states have joined us. Out of the many, we shall forge an indivisible whole, capitulating only to a single throne. And from that throne, as your Shepherd, I shall watch over you!
From this day forward, let no Wyomingite make war upon any other Wyomingite. Let no agency conspire against this new great beginning. Let nobody stand alone against outside powers. And to all the enemies of Wyoming, seek not to bar our way, for we shall win through, no matter the cost!
" - Inauguration speech of Emperor Charles I

Last edited:
800px-Tropico_Flag.svg.png

TROPICO

Leader: El Presidente

Capital: El Presidente City

Starting Location: D.C.

National Bonus: Natural Leadership (Clearly El Presidente was born to lead)

Having realised that in the aftermath of the Event the wise and intelligent El Presidente realised that the various Islands of the Caribbean couldn't sustain the rapidly growing population of Tropico. As without the presence of Modern Technology which had been rendered useless by the Event the people where becoming increasingly unruly and turned to comfort eating to pass the time resulting in Tropico's food reserves rapidly running out. With few Options left to him El Presidente showing his trademark Brilliance used his entire Swiss Bank Account to acquire the Ships needed to transport him, his aide Penultimo and a number of his Most Loyal Supporters and Sail to America to Washington D.C.. Having Arrived El Presidente's Loyal Soldiers under the Command of General Rodrigucz stormed the White House and the capitol defeating the remaining disorganised Forces of the United States of America who were lead by the recently appointed President Nick Richards who was given emergency power to save the U.S.A. but utterly failed to expect the attack by the Tropican Armed forces. In the Aftermath of this Decisive Victory with a death tool of 14 American Soldiers and the Death of one Tropician Llama being used as a mount the American Government remnants surrendered to El Presidente who used his military forces to secure the surrounding area and began recruiting Locals in to the Expanded Tropician Army. With Several Units of Infantry already formed and plans to form Cavalry Units mounted on Llamas brought from Tropico and Camals sent by the Middle Eastern Friend of El Presidente, Sheik Sallim, Tropican Forces are ready to capture enough ground to gather funds necessary to Rebuild El Presidenete's Swiss bank Account.

OOC: I Hope No one minds I couldn't help myself

Sooooo tempted.

Dammnit, I'm in. The United States of Boise, if you please. Natural leadership of course. Phear my hybrid US Army/ Roman legionairres! Hoooooo-rah!

Also tempted to come in as the Faculty Senate of Corvallis, or the Bearkillers, or the warrior-Benedictine monks of Mt Angel. Sadly pretty much all the great in-book factions are clustered in Oregon.

Whaa?

Sooooo tempted.

Dammnit, I'm in. The United States of Boise, if you please. Natural leadership of course. Phear my hybrid US Army/ Roman legionairres! Hoooooo-rah!

Also tempted to come in as the Faculty Senate of Corvallis, or the Bearkillers, or the warrior-Benedictine monks of Mt Angel. Sadly pretty much all the great in-book factions are clustered in Oregon.

Speaking as a player, glad to have you aboard. :laugh:

Just to ease my confused mind, would you mind stating explicitly which starting territory you are choosing?
I am guessing Idaho, but since starting lands cannot be adjacent to existing players, that can't be right. :unsure:

Last edited:
OOC: I was very tempted to do a silly North Korea expy on the west coast...just saying...and giving ideas. :D

Sooooo tempted.

OOC: The great and magnanimous Emperor Charles I, Emperor of Wyoming, Lord of Cheyenne, Duke of Yellowstone, Supreme Commander of the Wyomingite Legions, Defender of Wyoming, "the Bold", "The Great", etcetera, is not amused. :p (those are not his actual titles btw)

I did in fact want idaho. Assuming the no starting next to each other rule is firm, I have a new choice:

Badger Nation, based out of Madison WI. Special ability inventors.

Basically I'll be doing what the books did with Corvalis, a city state ruled by university professors in a faculty republic.

Great to hear you're playing, Deaghaidh.

Five players already! It's nice to see a good group. If we get to eight I'm going to start right away; any more and I have a feeling I'd be swamped.

Deag- Any idea what happened to GBIT in our last game? I haven't heard any word of him since our game came to an abrupt stop.

Iirc, gbit had some serious health issue, but I dont know how that played out for him.

Also, is there any way I can persuade stamsad to trade colors? I really would like to have badger red and white. :D

Iirc, gbit had some serious health issue, but I dont know how that played out for him.

Also, is there any way I can persuade stamsad to trade colors? I really would like to have badger red and white. :D

You'd have to bring that up with him...

And yeah, I remember something about GBIT being sick. His appendix or something?

5UNJq.png

The Great Spirit says: Red is the color of the blood of our enemies. If you want red, come get it and you'll get plenty.
He also says: Finders keepers, losers weepers and First come, first serve.
Who are we mere mortals to oppose such great wisdom?

Besides, our worthy opponent would look prettier in pink.

You'll rue this day! Well, go on! Start Rueing!

Badger Nation

University_of_Wisconsin_Waving_W.svg

Badger Nation

Formal title: University Advisory board to the Governor of Wisconsin.

Capitol: Madison, WI
Color: fire brick

Bonus: Inventive

Background: In the aftermath of The Change, the Madison-based government of the State of Wisconsin came under escalating pressure. As the state government tried to restore order in statewide, feed the city population and deal with hordes of refugees from Chicagoland, the governor came to rely more and more on the specialized expertise of members of the University of Wisconsin faculty. Agriculture faculty built off the already strong organic farm program to establish a food supply. Engineering faculty rigged ad hoc water-powered mills and machinery, and experts in history (and the local chapter of the SCA) built armaments and armor. The famous football team and marching band were recruited to form the backbone of a local militia.

With the final collapse of the state government, the University was left as the only institution with the organization and credibility to maintain order in southern Wisconsin. A faculty senate was formed in Madison, made up of the professors from key departments (agriculture, engineering, etc). An elected assembly of non-faculty representatives has been promised for the future.

NyaKonungariketSverige.jpg

iodiesthefirefinalmap.png

Nya Svenska Konungariket

Leader: Kung Erik I Oskar av Hus Adelsman
Known as ''the Founder'' or ''the Liberator'' by those loyal to him and ''the Cruel'' by outsiders

Capital: Nya Täby

Starting Province: Houston

National Bonus: Natural Leadership

Form of Government: Reactionary Feudal/Despotic Monarchy.

Official Colours: Dark Blue (Primary), Yellow (Secondary)

Official Motto: Ny tid, Samma Land (New age, same country)

Background: Approximately 6 months before The Event, a group of radicals and reactionaries called the True Swede Society attempted to oust the democracy as well as the current symbolical royal family of Sweden in a coup d'Etat and replace it with the closest living relative to the last Absolute Monarch of Sweden. The Society failed, and over half of their numbers were killed in the uprising. The majority of the survivors were imprisoned. After much deliberation by the Swedish government, most of the imprisoned society was to be moved to another prison on the island of Öland. This proved to be a great mistake, as the society managed to break free of their shackles and take control of the boat. Almost a third of the crew was killed, the rest that were not necessary to keep the boat going were imprisoned in the very cells the society had resided in earlier. By making sure that no word was leaked from the ship, they escaped from the baltic sea, and reached International Waters. From there, they plotted a course to Mexico to avoid the pursuit of the Swedish police. However, before they could reach Mexico, the event struck, and the ships systems were fried, and they had to rely on the currents and the wind alone. After more than a month of drifting, they landed in Houston, in the US. After discovering what had happened to the world, the men who had not died of malnourishment and sickness rallied together, even the old crew of the ship. They created a small village, which they named Nya Täby for themselves on their landing site, barely surviving by agriculture and hunting the local wildlife. They slowly attracted more of the populace that had settled in the forests of Houston, and slowly the village grew. The new immigrants adopted Swedish customs and language, mostly due to the fact that not doing so would result in dire consequences. One day, a few slaves from the nearby cities arrived in the village. They spoke Swedish, as they were of Swedish descent themselves, and so the Nya Täby-ians decided to let them stay. The slaves spoke of the oppression of the local Swedish minority in the cities nearby, and this caused many of the villagers to demand that the ''city Swedes'' should be saved from their oppressors, by invading the cities. Few agreed, preferring their isolation. The next day, the gang leader and previous owner of the slaves arrived in the village, demanding that they were to be returned. A man named Anders Lundström opposed them, saying that the slaves were now citizens of the village and would be protected from the ''scum'' of the american cities, and rallied the townspeople around him. A bloody battle ensued, killing many of the villages men, but the gang was driven out. The slaves themselves even died in the battle, and this tragedy caused the village-people to demand blood from the Americans. Lundström gathered the village people, and forged weapons and armour out of the spare parts of the ship they had arrived in. Eventually, they invaded the nearby cities. The disorganized gangs never united, and were thus killed off one and by one, and for each city conquered, the army grew as the Swedes, as well as Danes, Norwegians and Dutchmen, joined the army to end the oppression they had felt since The Event. Soon enough, the entire state of Houston had bent the knee to Lundström. And as the last resistance fell, he returned to Nya Täby, which had only grown since the Conquets, he crowned himself Erik I Oskar Adelsman, King of the New Swedish Kingdom, and started to establish a loyal nobility around him. Soon enough, Houston enjoyed a stable regime, although one that oppressed all but the Scandinavian populace. Now, the King sets his sight on the neighbouring states, ever eager to expand.

''And so it is, that we stand here today to witness the crowning of Our First King Erik I Oskar av Hus Adelsman. May his reign last a thousand years and let him guide us into a new world of peace and prosperity'' The old priest announced to the crowd gathered in the square. A small platform of rickety wood had been raised in the center of the square, and a large armchair clumsily coated with iron and silver had been declared a throne and on it sat ''The Conqueror of Houston'' Anders Lundström, or as he now declared himself, King Erik. The priest grabbed something which could, supposedly, pass for a crown, a poorly made ring of iron, with an aluminium lining, decorated with fake diamonds and rubies. It was the closest thing to a crown he realised. As the priest put the crown on the new Kings head, the crowd erupted into cheers. Daniel did not, he simply stood his ground and watched. He was truly unsure what to think of this. He had managed to avoid the systematic oppression of the minorities inside the American cities by living out in the forests. It was easier to live in the city now that a man of his language and culture ruled it, sure, but that didn't mean he liked it. The King was a cruel man, there was no denying it. He seemed interested in little but his own personal glory and power, the justification of liberation was simply a justification, nothing more.
Daniel caught a glimpse of the King admist all the cheers and waving arms, and he saw that he did not even smile. He simply stared out across the crowd, seemingly scanning it for what, Daniel did not know. Suddenly he rose from his ''throne'', and held a hand up in the air. The crowd's cheer slowly died out, and he cleared his throat to speak.
''I thank you all for coming here, to this glorious and joyous day'' his voice was cold, but he did have a certain authority in his tone. ''Today, we witness the forming of a new civilization among the ruins and ashes of the old, a civilization that will overshadow the empires of old.'' He paused, gathering his thoughts and his breath. ''For there are many out there, in the cities beyond Houston, that suffer under the thumb of barbarians, that cry out for our help, that demand justice for themselves and for their land! So I promise you, my fellow Swedes, that I will personally lead the armies that unite this war-torn and shattered land, under this crown, and none shall stand in our way''. At those words, murmumrs of discontent started spreading around the crowd. Few had believed that the King would be intent on spreading his rule even further, and Daniel elbowed himself to the front of the crowd. If nobody else would speak up, he had to.
The King was still standing tall over the crowd, watching carefully. Daniel raised his voice:
''We will not accept this! You have already conquered and murdered your way throughout Houston, this can't continue!'' At this point, he was painfully aware that the crowd was staring at him, as well as the king, but he continued nonetheless'' Do this, and you will lose all respsect you have gathered over the years with the people of Houston, this I promise you!'' He realised he might have gone too far, so he readied himself for the King lashing back at him. Nothing came, and as he dared to look up at the King again, he was standing right above him, staring down at him with one eyebrow raised. Finally ,the King calmly said
''Come up here, let the crowd see you better''. Daniel was vary at first, but he did as told. There was no opposing a direct order of the King. As he stood beside the King, the King asked ''What is your name, boy?'' He responded, looking out at the crowd instead of the King ''Daniel Matthiasson''. The King nodded and suddenly drew a sword, well-crafted unlike his throne and crown. Looking out at the crowd, he shouted ''This, is where the road of rebellion leads!'' and with a single strike, pierced Daniels heart, killing him almost insantly and kicked him out into the crowd. No more voices of protest were heard that day.

OOC: First Imperium Offtopcium for me, please be gentle!

Last edited:
Texas is an odd place for a new sweden.

Also the more I think about Badger Nation the less it makes sense to me. It's too close to the Chicago Death Zone

Edit: I'm thinking of switching to the Portland Protective Association. The game might benefit from having the arch villan of the first books.

I wanted to put it further North, but Tropico took DC and I don't want to be that close to another player. Plus, putting it further inland means it doesn't fit the story I thought up.

Great! Welcome to the game, Nodscouterr! Two more players, and we can start early.

A reminder: as soon as we start the game, OOC shall be standard for any out of character posts.

Also, bugwar has brought to my attention several discrepancies in my ruleset, and so has set about correcting them; I have updated the official rules above a bit, according to the discussion in the development thread.