• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bbasgen

Field Marshal
63 Badges
Jul 12, 2005
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
In the latest beta, playing on Hard, I've been pursuing a strategy to build a strong Kreigsmarine without any use of CVs, CAGs, or NAVs. Just pure, Bismarck class, BB power. I have been very impressed and pleasantly surprised by my results. It is a lot of fun dominating with Battleships!

In terms of my overall strategy: I started the game building three Battle Cruisers in order to lift my practicals and aid my surface fleet. They completed in August of 1937: I had volunteer army in effect at the time because I wanted the practicals quickly fast. Meanwhile, at the exact same time my beautiful pocket battleships began sea trials, my Battleship technology (researching it from the beginning of the game) reached 1938 levels unlocking the Bismarck! Next, I launched four parallel builds of Bismarck class BBs, augmenting these with multiple runs of 1938 DDs leading to sea trials for my new fleet in July, 1939. By the start of August, 1939, the Kreigsmarine began its first sortie:

Admiral Raeder (Level 5 at the time)
4 1938 BBs
2 1936 BCs
12 1938 DDs

I always tried to have at least 6 DDs in reserve for rotation, and my third BC was also used for rotation. In just five months: from August to January, 1940, for all practical purposes I have eliminated the Royal Navy in the Atlantic! Note that Japan has not yet been called to war. The UK fleet (world-wide) as of January 1940 is as follows:

5 CVs (1918)
2 CA
1 CL
8 DDs

The Kreigsmarine sunk 12 BBs, 3 BCs, 17 CAs, 33 CLs, 3 CVs, 5 CVLs, 17 TPs, & 40 DDs. I lost a single DD in my surface fleet. Bismarck was my most productive ship: sinking a total of 25 enemy vessels (a quarter of the total pwnage). (I sent several of the carriers to the bottom of the sea in February).

This was not easy to achieve: despite the lopsided numbers. I had to engage carefully, always near my coast at first, with at least two strong interceptor wings nearby to dull any CAG attacks. I aimed for only single engagements, and withdrew if any of my capital ships were in serious danger. Repairing ships was a constant effort, as was rotating out heavily damaged DDs. Finally, note the heavy emphasis on big capital ships (6 for the fleet) and a large overall fleet size: this was essential for staying power in an engagement and the multiple capital ships made quick work of enemy vessels. It has been quite enjoyable using the Bismarck class ships in a way that I think is plausible and fun!

You must have gained all that naval savvy from playing on the AZ sea as a kid. :laugh:

I'd say they are acting like very big screens, closing quickly on the enemy's fleet and taking the hits for the BBs. Not sure if it really works that way and even if it did the benefits might not outweigh the hull penalty..

Where did you engage them? I usually go for the waters just south of Brest or Wilhelmshaven where I can swarm with Interceptors quickly. Wilhemshaven is the safe choice but it's easier to lure out RN close to Brest, with the help of 2 x 2 Subs on convoy hunt.

Where did you save up IC on, to build such a powerful fleet? Submarines? Airforce?

With Germany's available IC, he doesn't really need to save up on IC. From what I see, its 3 BCs originally (so ~27-30 IC), then 4 BBs (likely not much more due to increased practicals) + "multiple DD runs (@6 parallel x 2 Serial that's roughly 24 or so IC per batch). Even with starting IC that maxes at no more than 1/3 of IC. So if balanced build priorities then easily achieved.

How large is his army, I wonder.

can't be that bad. with careful planning, you can do a lot more with Germany's ICE.

can't be that bad. with careful planning, you can do a lot more with Germany's ICE.
Especially if you choose the right laws. Volunteer Army, for example, combined with making a unit as reserve, can drastically reduce the cost of a land unit. Consumer Product Orientation frees up scads of IC from consumer goods. Against an AI SU, you can even focus more heavily on naval and air production and still easily make an army good enough to beat the Soviets. It'll be little more touch and go (or a little bit more micromanagement) but its definitely possible, especially if you make proper usage of allied objectives. If you don't delay Barbarossa the combo of Hungary/Italy/Romania can usually hold the Soviets long enough for you to concentrate your forces and sweep over them in Northern and Central fronts.

What about airforce? To defend Germany, 4-5 wings of interceptors/fighters should be built, at least. I'd like to have a navy as the OP has, but other branches must also be strengthened.

I never even thought about exploiting the laws! damn, I could have had it!
anyway, last time I went for plan Z (FtM3.05 with CMP on normal), by 21 march 1940, I had:

7 bc, 6 BB, 3 Cv, 21 DD, 5 ca, 15 cl, 19 ss, 8 transports

luftwaffe: 21 int, 12 tac

heer: (brigades) 6 arm, 1 ac, 84 art, 4 cav, 4 eng, 8 gar, 252 inf, 8 larm, 24 mil, 40 mot, 5 MP

in queu: 1CV, 1x4 serial transport ships, 2 BB, 1 DD, 14 parallellx 3 serial inf (3 inf/1art), and enough spart for the panzers and mot.

start by building the screens (get them done by spring 1937). start spamming subs (I had 28 when the war started!) and get to work on the capitals. the major IC eater are the screens. once they are out of the way, it gets a lot easier.

I guess it's my desire to have modern ships that made me wait to build stuff.

well, let's face it, as Germany, you need over 100 inf divisions and a couple dozen mobile troops of various stripe by 1941 if you want to have a chance against the SU. plus bombers ARE an integral part of Blitzkrieg tactics. so you make amends where you can. in my case, that meant no CAS and no transports.

Does the fleet need to be 18 ships, or I can use multiple smaller fleets? 9-12 ships is my idea.