+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In need of suggestions - hypothetical american colonies

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

In need of suggestions - hypothetical american colonies

So, I'm presently working on another new world mod of mine. Right now, I'm working on the colonial revolter system. Fundamentally, each culture group (that's actually likely to colonize the new world) will have one (or more) colonial revolters and associated colonial culture, and events to cause the change.

For the historical colonizers, this is not particularly difficult. For culture groups that have legends/oral tradition of long-lost lands that have, at one point or another, been associated with the New World, this is not especially hard either (Vinland for the Scandinavians, Fusang for the East Asians).

For the others, if one want to avoid pointless repetition of "New X", it gets significantly more difficult. Hence why I'm looking for ideas, and turning toward this forum for help.

Right now:

French/Iberian/British groups: their historical colonies, which were both plentiful and lasting. No problem with those.
    Dutch/Flemish: New Netherland
    Russia (and perhaps all eastern slavs) will likely use Alaska/Alaskan (even thought that was only the name of one region of Russian America), because Russian America sounds awful.
    East Asian cultures: Fusang
    Scandinavian cultures: Vinland (Sweden probably get New Sweden)

The highest priority for ideas at this point would be the Germanic, Gaelic and Latin culture groups.

West Slavic, Turko-Semitic, South Slavic and Basque would come next.
    Last edited by Guillaume HJ; 25-05-2012 at 07:29.
    NEWSFLASH: If you ever said "It's called EUROPA Universalis" as sole justification for blatant misrepresentation of the RoW: you're likely on my ignore list.
    Age of Discovery: The World beyond Europe
    30 native hordes in North America, warring city states in Mexico: a mod about the world 15th century Europe was about to encounter...
    KIA by the Prix in BlueEmu's Ad Astra, 2nd character underway.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'm just throwin stuff out here
    German: Grünenhügel, Tiefland, Oranien
    Basque: Zabala(lurrak), Ugariportua, Besteherrialde
    Italian: Pietrazza, Rigogliosa, Astanzala

Yeah, so don't judge me on my artistic and creative naming abilities
    EUIII: DW Mods
    Occultus Orbis Terrestre
    Ars Lingua

"A language is a dialect with an army and navy" - Max Weinreich - Meyer Lazarevich Veynreykh - "אַ שפּראַך איז אַ דיאַלעקט מיט אַן אַרמיי און פֿלאָט"

Командир Батаљона DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If Russian America sounds bad, then how about New Russia? Or something inspired by Russian history, for example, period when Russia expanded to the east annexing various Turcic and Tatar peoples is called "Big Game". Perhaps something like "Great Game" could inspire a name for Rus America.
    Clinically diagnosed russophile and scourge of self righteous westerners.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

For Russia, you could use Novorossiya.. Its New Russia, but it sounds a whole lot better and looks a whole lot cooler on the map.

Darkest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

There was a private attempt by a wealthy German family to colonize the Venezuela area, which they named Klein Venedig. It was also sometimes called the Welser Colony, after the family that colonized it.

The Welsh also set up a few colonies in Argentina, and a few additional towns here and there. The colony in Argentina didn't have a real name I think, and they just called it the Colony, or the Welsh Colony. Wladfa or Wladychfa would work.

For Italy, maybe Quarta Sponda? Its a bit out of the timeframe though.
    Last edited by mechaerik; 27-05-2012 at 00:24.

+ Reply to Thread