• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think you made the right choice acceding to the demands to open up for trade. I'm guessing a war with a foreign power would end pretty badly for you, and while I'm sure modernisation has its downsides (such as the Satsuma rebellion, no doubt) at least you'll be on a pretty level playing field with anything they can throw at you.

I didn't know that Japan lacked bigger infantry formations. Without them taking on China would indeed seem suicidal. In PoN battle system multi-element units are a must (it's the same reason why it's advisable to make divisions as big as possible in RUS or ACW).

Could you give us some sort of overview over your industries, I take it most of it are farms at this point. How about mines? And have you started building some factories?

What about some early colonial attempts on nearby islands? Is it a waste of money?

Trade Areas and Maritime Boxes

on which subject ... Maritime Trade Areas .. do you just turn up in one and grab a share of the trade going into/out that region, or is it more deliberative than that?

The way to think about it is this. Japanese soil is coincidentally the Japan Trade Area, one of several (among them including North China and Old China and Korea) Trade Areas served by a Maritime Trade Box (circular in shape, naturally).

Japan can offer products for sale to merchant shipping in that MTB, and place orders to buy products that countries with merchants in that MTB decide to offer for sale. Orders to sell may exceed orders to buy or vice versa, and there is a competitive process to decide who gets what (although a buyer can specifically place orders to buy from a particular seller rather than another, such as an ally).

Traders will come to Japan and China for goods such as Silk, Tea, or Rice in scarcity elsewhere, and Japanese may order goods not available or scarce in the Far East. Japan may want manufactured goods to help build industry - though Japan has some domestic production that it can bootstrap.

(You can also trade over land borders but this is N/A to Japan)

newbie player introduction

hello all,

I will be following your AAR as I also decided to start my newbie GC as japan. I tried loading up USA, but the sheer extent and complexity of the other great powers leaves me stunned and unable to even get a decent economy rolling. I spent an hour trying to find my dye factories. It seems there is no quick way to click a link in the ledger or whatever to shoot me to the province they were in. After much frustration at the laggy map scolling (my video card is a 1024MB, not sure what's up with that), exited out and still don't know where Hamilton is, lol.

GL

Loki100: Umm Perhaps but I'll need to churn out a few Big Infantry Corps First.

Dewirix: Yeh It would end very Badly. As for the Downsides I would think the Boshin war would be worse But Still There some way off right now.

Bornego: Well I have Corps Size Formations now. As for My Industry I have a Couple of Textile Plants, A Luxery Goods Plant, 3 Types of Manufactured goods Factories, And a Katana Shop (Produces Ammunition, Supply and Steel) and an Ammunition Plant. I have a few coal mines, Iron mines and a Mineral Mine. Everything Else is Farms or different Types and a few Fisheries. As For Building Factories the only ones I can build are Textile Factories so I'm not building any factories yet. Well the Only Place you can expand your CP is South Sakhalin and Okinawa. Everywhere Else your CP is either too low to use your option or too high to be able to raise it with your options. Of course every bit of CP you do now is a Bit you don't have to do later so It's Probably worth it.

Sir Garnet: Nice Explanation. Anyway MY main problem seems to be lack of Private Capital rather than lack of Manufactured goods right now

Sedyewycke: Umm Ok good luck

Pelarys: So am I we'll have to wait then.

Chapter Four: The Beginning of Militarism

Ok Then Right I have built a Tobacco field, A Wood logging, Two Silk Orchards, A Rice Paddies and a Depot in Okinawa. I also get another Goods Subsidy as well.

Other News of Note is The Shogun has been Changed after the Death of the Old one. This is good news his skills are better than the Last 1-3-1 This time (Government Skills not Military)

PON_13.jpg

I Finish researching Percussion Cap Muskets and Gain the Ability to Build Corps Size units as Well as Modern Division and Brigade Size Units. I swiftly build one of the Strongest Corps Size units of 8 infantry elements, 2 light Infantry Elements (Which have a trait Which improves Initiative) and Two Artillery Units (Same old Artillery though).

PON_14.jpg

I also Decide to Take Over Ryukyu so First I break my Defence Treaty With them and Shortly Afterwards Attack and Occupy the Island encountering No Resistance. So Yeh there's my first Military Campaign. Taking over a Defenceless Island with only Fish as a Natural Resource.​

Loki100: Useful isn't strong enough. Before I would Struggle to defeat any major invasion as 70-80% of my army was in garrisons scattered throughout Japan with one weakish field army. Now After a Bit more of a build up and some Military Reorganisation the bulk of my Army is in the South but I'll say why latter.

Chapter Five: The Revolution is Here

When I say the Revolution is here it first must be made clear that this is not yet a Political revolution though that is seeming very likely soon. But It's a Military and Economic revolution and a Major Shift in the Local balance of Power. China has been weakened severely by Taiping Rebels in the South and some More Generic rebels in the Far west of it's territory. In Japan there has been little trouble and the Economy has been strengthened significantly and the Military has seen sizeable modernisation and I've concentrated it in the South in preparation for Future operations. At close to 2000 pwr this force includes the Entire Japanese Army apart from two outdated Division size elements in Okinawa and Sakhalin and some Fortress troops deployed to fill the gap by the Removal of the Old Garrisons. In February China had 177% of my Combat strength but through out the Year this has dropped to under 100% but They have fallen off the List of Nations I can see so Precise Intelligence is unavailable. I've begun building Transports to move forces to mainland Asia as War with China seems increasingly attractive while they are heavily involved in putting down the Taiping Rebels. I would build Junks as they're cheaper but I can no longer build them it seems. Actually I've had a whole string of new Ship building options through out the year including Sail Battleships. I also had an Event about the Shogunate allowing the Creation of Ocean Going ships which usefully came with a Single Element of Transport Ships. I also built additional Merchant shipping which was sent to Europe to expand the Market for Japanese Goods.

PON_17.jpg

The Japanese Army also had it's first taste of Combat as 4000 Rebels rose up on Okinawa facing 1 outdated Division size unit and a Modern Fortress Unit which spawned as the Siege began. Two battles followed as MY forces sallied out to take the Fight to the Rebels. The First was a Stalemate my forces not being quite able to Drive off the Rebels.

PON_15.jpg

However the Rebels having taken greater losses to prevent my forces breaking out they were unable to fight my Forces to a draw the Second time and were wiped out. Interestingly enough despite there only being just over 2000 rebels I capture 4000 captives. Must also represent local rebel sympathisers captured in the aftermath of the Rebellion. Or a Glitch as there are 4 rebel units and I captured all of them and the game not recognising that those regiments were understrength.

PON_16.jpg

Further more opening up of the nation is accelerated as Treaties are signed with a number of western nations including the USA, Britain, France and Russia which open up ports to trade. It's appears Commodore Perry's Famous act of Gunboat Diplomacy will not be necessary as the Shogunate is more than willing to Open up to the Outside world.

PON_18.jpg

PON_19.jpg

Economically progress has seemed slow. Much Private Capital was put into new Merchant Fleets resulting in the Construction of only two wood loggings and a Mineral Quarry though there was yet another Goods Import Subsidy. However underlining this seemingly slow progress in comparison to past years was the Beginning of the Japanese Industrial Revolution. Now Japan could build numerous factories like those seen in Western Countries though none were built yet the Ground work was laid and soon Japan would be as strong as the western Power or perhaps even stronger than them.

On a Minor note fate it seems still likes to balance things out for Japan. An Earthquake and a Tsunami ripping through Japan causing mass devastation and great loss of Life.

PON_20.jpg

Loki100: They probably would but only if one actually erupted during the Time Period Look it up.

Stuyvesant: I'm going with Flavour. Unless it killed a Few pops in some of my Cities which I wouldn't really notice as I'm paying very little attention to actual numbers of People in the towns.

Chapter Six: The First Factories

Yes This is it. My very first new factory since the Beginning of the Game and I go and build a Furniture factory. Nothing wrong with that is there. It only needs wood, which I have plenty of, and Coal, which Equally I have plenty of, and it gives some manufactured goods which are very useful. I need them to run luxury goods factories as right now my only other luxury good silk is simply not selling among the people so I need to look elsewhere to satisfy their needs for luxury goods. Any way the Building of another silk orchard effectively ends large scale building of Farm structures except for Fishermen's ports of which I've built one more. Now Mines are moving into the focus as well as those new factories. In this regard I've built a Mineral mine, a Coal mine and the only two new Nitrates mines I going to be able to build with current resources. Of course I'll likely build a whole mess more fishermen's ports as I need to produce a lot more fish if I'm to have any hope of completing my Objective. The Idea of producing enough rice is out of the Question. China almost certainly produces more rice than me and Unless I engage in military campaigns against them I will not be able to out produce them.

At the Same time a new interesting event popped up in China. It seems the Chinese are desperate for more men to fight the Taiping rebels so have turned to western Mercenaries to put together a force in Shanghai paid for by Shanghai merchants. Clearly they want to prevent the Taiping stealing more of there money from them.

PON_21.jpg

Equally In Japan western knowledge is now beginning to flood our country with the Shogunate setting up an Institute for Western Studies. Not only does this give prestige but It makes it look like soon enough I may have some policy changes in regards to innovation and technology so we may not be backwards soon enough. Well one can hope can't he.

PON_22.jpg

Another Point is That I'm build the last avaliable 120 Commerce value merchant fleets and I've yet another new objective, Hainan, The island off the southern Coast of China. This game is really telling me to attack China isn't it. I wonder If I'll get some more objectives in the East Indies and South East Asia in the Near future.​

Industrialization sounds like a good thing. The game's insistence on pushing you into war with China, not so much. ;)

Is your economy healthy/large enough that you can churn out a steady stream of new buildings, or do you have to save quite a long time to get the resources to build one?

I see Ageod cheated a little with that photo of the Shanghai Foreign Arms Corps. That is in fact a photo of 'Chinese' Gordon who didn't command the corps until 1863 after Ward died in battle.

Subscribing PoN always looks interesting and I've enjoyed reading through this.

Loki100: Steady Progress Yes. Progress in the Right Direction. Not sure.

Stuyvesant: My economy is in a nice place right now. No shortages really and plenty of Cash coming in for a reliable supply of Buildings.

Israel Hands: Nice to see you.

PrawnStar: Wow It's great that one of my Favourite AAR writes considers one of my AARs good enough to comment on.

Well Just Before the Update In a bit of self Publicity I've started writing a forth AAR. Counts and Crossbows for Mount and Blade: Warband. Here's the Link if any one wants to go have a look.

Chapter Seven: It's all Mine

As the Title and the Horrible Pun suggests I've been building a lot of Mines this year.

9 to be exact. 2 Iron extractions, 2 coal Extractions, 3 Mineral Quarries and 2 Dye Quarries.

I Can no longer build any more mines. Well I could build a coal mine up on Sakhalin but I likely don't have the Population to support that mine up there so there is little point right now.

In Other news not a lot has happened. But Now I can only build 10 more Fishermen's wharf's and then I'm limited to factories for the Time being.

This means my Economy is moving towards a peak using current resources. So Perhaps new resources will need to be gained to maintain my Industry as it expands upwards and onwards. Maybe Once I gain full colonial options right now Expansion is Difficult to say the least.

Ok Then The Next few Updates are Likely to be increasingly made up of building Industry, Forts and Maybe railways.​

For a split second I thought you had somehow finished the game with a World Conquest between the last update and now. :p

It turned out to be not quite the dramatic triumph I imagined, but hey, it still sounds like your economy is ticking along nicely. :)

Loki100: Hmm yes and Since I've more or less done That I'm moving more and more on to Industrial Development.

Stuyvesant: I'm not sure if a World Conquest in PON would even be possible anyway. Well the Economy is growing rather nicely right now. Just need more Factories to move it into the final Stage.

Chapter Eight: Modernisation Here we Come

Right By this point The only Resource Structures I can build are Fishermen's Ports of Which I built one more.

This means most resources are now going towards factories now. I've built an Arms Factory and a Luxury Goods Factory. I have a reason for both. I need to produce more luxury goods to give my people While the arms Factory helps alleviate my least abundant primary resource Steel which before this factory comes into operation I only produced 2 of it a turn not enough for large scale Industrial expansion but since I can't build steel mills yet this is the best Option.

I also Built a Railway in Edo to help increase efficiency in the region. If my Industries are more efficient I'll have more resources to sell overseas and make profit.

Another Minor point is I form My third Infantry corps.

Also A minor Event from India is the Indian Mutiny as several regions fall under the control of the Sepoys but They quickly make peace with the British holding only two regions around Delhi.

PON_23.jpg

Another Largely Flavour event is that My Shogun meets with a US representative a showing of Japanese Openness to the West.

PON_24.jpg